Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

point on license

• 12-10-2013 6:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

well, a friend of mine received 2 penalty points for speeding on his provisional and was wondering can you put those points on your fathers license with his consent? i heard something about this before i thought, if not how much would you expect his insurance to go up with these points?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The way it works is if 2 people are insured on a car and its snapped speeding, the fine is sent to the owner of the car. If it wasn't them driving they fill out the bit of the form saying it was the other person. Both sign it and sent it back. A few days later the fine is reissued in the name of the other person.

If stopped on the side of the road by a Garda for speeding then that person gets the points/fine.

If you try to commit fraud by getting someone else to take points you can get in serious trouble.
    While the letter you get only shows your reg they do have the full picture of who's driving if its contested or suspected of fraud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

ken wrote: »
    The way it works is if 2 people are insured on a car and its snapped speeding, the fine is sent to the owner of the car. If it wasn't them driving they fill out the bit of the form saying it was the other person. Both sign it and sent it back. A few days later the fine is reissued in the name of the other person.

If stopped on the side of the road by a Garda for speeding then that person gets the points/fine.

If you try to commit fraud by getting someone else to take points you can get in serious trouble.
    While the letter you get only shows your reg they do have the full picture of who's driving if its contested or suspected of fraud.

thanks he was stopped on the side of the road so no hope i guess, how long do points last on a license?

3 years from when he paid the fine.

thanks again and sorry if im annoying you now but, do you have any idea if insurance goes up much with 2points or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

ken wrote: »
    3 years from when he paid the fine.

Are you certain of that??

Only reason I ask is I was done on the side of the road about a month ago, and tha guard asked had I points already, I said yeah, that I'd had them two years since about 6 weeks previous, and she said they should be cleared by now.

Up until that I'd thought it was 3 years but now I'm not so sure!!!

@ OP

Far as I know most insurers treat the first two points as penalty enough for the offence, and its only if you make a habit of collecting points that they will raise your premiums. Wide open to correction on this though.

I'm also led to believe that you are not obliged to tell your insurers about points until you have 4 or more points, but again I'm wide open to correction, as I only heard that from a mate.

• Advertisement

Most companies now claim to not put up insurance for anyone with 4 or less points. He'll have to shop around. Also he must declare it when getting insured. If he were to have an accident and they subsequently find out he has points he'll be in a world of hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    thanks again and sorry if im annoying you now but, do you have any idea if insurance goes up much with 2points or not?

if he's on a provisional probably yes. much higher risk.

TheFarrier wrote: »
    Are you certain of that??

Only reason I ask is I was done on the side of the road about a month ago, and tha guard asked had I points already, I said yeah, that I'd had them two years since about 6 weeks previous, and she said they should be cleared by now.

Up until that I'd thought it was 3 years but now I'm not so sure!!
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driving_offences/penalty_points_for_driving_offences.html

How long do penalty points stay on your licence?

Penalty points have a three year lifespan. That means they will remain on your current driving licence for a period of 3 years from the start date (effective date). Any period where your licence is out of date won't count as part of the 3 years. Where you accumulate 12 points and are disqualified for a period of six months, the points which led to the disqualification are removed at the end of the 6 months.
    Example
    I received 2 penalty points for a speeding offence in June 2008. My driving licence expired in September 2010 but I only renewed it in January 2011. If I had renewed my licence immediately, the points would have stayed on my licence until June 2011. However, the three months during which my licence was expired don't count towards the three year of the penalty points. This means the penalty points will remain on my licence until September 2011.
    If you are disqualified from driving for a period of six months as a result of accumulating 12 or more points, the number of points standing endorsed on your licence on the date you are disqualified (i.e. 28 days after the date of issue of written notification from the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport) will be removed from your licence at the end of the six months. This means that if you receive any additional penalty points during the six month disqualification period these points will then be added to your driving licence when the disqualification is lifted and your driving licence returned.
    If you have been notified by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport that you have been disqualified from driving by virtue of the fact that you have accumulated 12 penalty points or more you will be obliged to surrender your driving licence at your local Motor Taxation Office for the period of six months.

hes a named driver on his auld lads name, does he have to tell his current insurance company or when he renews it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

DaNiEl1994 wrote: »
    hes a named driver on his auld lads name, does he have to tell his current insurance company or when he renews it

Yes. You are required to disclose anything that might materially affect the policy. Some insurers require you to immediately inform them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Brinan

My son received three speeding offence letters for doing 67 approx in a 50km zone. All of the offences occured in the same 24 hours in two locations (twice morning an evening in one of the locations) Has anyone any suggestions as to what he should do? He is a student and has little money, also he was on his way to college and back and had only started in the college in 1st year when this happened, so it was lack of experience even though he has a full licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Brinan wrote: »
    My son received three speeding offence letters for doing 67 approx in a 50km zone. All of the offences occured in the same 24 hours in two locations (twice morning an evening in one of the locations) Has anyone any suggestions as to what he should do? He is a student and has little money, also he was on his way to college and back and had only started in the college in 1st year when this happened, so it was lack of experience even though he has a full licence.

Nothing he can do suck it up and learn his lesson from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

In fairness, to break the speed limit 3 times in 24 hours (regardless of the area) is a no no regardless of age. Speeding fines are not related to a person's social status or progression.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,638 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

3 times is not a once off mistake...you'd want to be having a serious talk with your son.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 175 ✭✭sonny jim bob jones

He should pay the fines and take the punishment, if you are really concerned then take his keys off him, as he probably isn't mature enough to be driving, despite having a full licence. He won't have it much longer if he doesn't cop on.

Advertisement