Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE7 stops working when another app needs the connection

Options
  • 26-10-2008 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

This may need to be moved to the Nets and comms forum so mods please move if needed.
    I've a laptop and a desktop computer both using a wireless connection and windows vista. The desktop works fne but the laptop is giving me a bit of a problem when using the wifi. It seems that whenever i use the wifi to connect to the internet it works ok up until i open up another application that needs an connection. For example if i'm using ie7 to surf and I open up pokerstars, one of them wont work - mostly IE7. Or if i'm surfing and i open up outlook - i cant surf anymore.
    Is there a setting somewhere that i've missed. This is a recent problem that is really pissing me off.
    any help would be great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

What springs to mind is that you may have something nasty on your machine. Make sure you are running anti-virus for a start, avg or avast are solid choices.

If you don't run any anti-spyware software go and get spybot from the link below.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

Run that and see if it finds anything.

It may be worth running adaware also though spybot and adaware can conflict a bit.

http://www.lavasoft.com/products/ad_aware_free.php

I don't know anything about pokerstars but theres always the chance that something dodgy came with that or was allowed in by it.

Once you have eliminated the possibilty of malware at least it will be easier to track down the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Thanks fro the reply mate. As you can see from my sig i use NOD32 3.06. I also run regular checks with Spybot and Adaware. I recently had issues with a virus called 'virtuemonde' but rigerious cleaning and dissinfexcting woth the above AV software did the job. Pokerstars software is clean too as are the many other apps I download/install. (I'm pretty careful what i let on my machine. I was using zonealarm but it was giving me a little jip - I find the windows forewall - in conjunction with Nod does a great job.

Advertisement