Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP Swift / Rapid

Options
  • 13-04-2014 7:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me difference between IP Swift and IP Rapid delivery methods for DSL ?

Is one better (less contention etc) than the other ?

Thanks

F0z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Yep.
    Swift is 12:1 contention, 12Mb down 1Mb up, while Rapid is 48:1, 7Mb down, 384Kb up.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

Thanks Roast. Strange. I was told I could switch to 12Mb but would require physical connection change in the exchange and odds are I'd get a worse service. Apparently this delivery method suffers from higher contention but your post suggests it would be less.

Well Swift is ADSL2+, while Rapid is ADSL1, so if you're not already on an ADSL2+ port in the exchange, then a physical change would be needed.
    The only way you could get a worse connection by changing to Swift is if your line stats are poor and your noise margin is low. It'll creep down a bit because of the speed increase.
    What exchange are you on and what are your line stats?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Broadband forum better for this.

[Edit: Sorry for thoughtlessly posting on thread instead of Report Post]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

watty wrote: »
    Broadband forum better for this.

Can you use the report a post function for this, in future, please. Makes life easier, and doesn't clutter up the thread. Ta to the other poster who gave me the heads up earlier, too.

Happy to leave it here for now. Will reconsider if there's more left to discuss!

• Advertisement

roast wrote: »
    Well Swift is ADSL2+, while Rapid is ADSL1, so if you're not already on an ADSL2+ port in the exchange, then a physical change would be needed.
    The only way you could get a worse connection by changing to Swift is if your line stats are poor and your noise margin is low. It'll creep down a bit because of the speed increase.
    What exchange are you on and what are your line stats?

Am on Furbo exchange. Line stats look like:

Line standard G.dmt
    Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 7168
    Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 384
    Downstream SNR (dB) 12.4
    Upstream SNR (dB) 16
    Downstream line attenuation (dB) 22
    Upstream line attenuation (dB) 14.5
    Downstream output power (dBmV) 15.8
    Upstream output power (dBmV) 0.3
    Downstream CRC 15
    Upstream CRC 0
    Downstream FEC 8052
    Upstream FEC 0

If your ISP complies, a change to swift would work, but not reliably at 12Mb down (if at all).
    There's a 7.6Mb down, 672Kb up profile on swift, that'd give you a decent increase on upload without affecting the downstream SNR too much, also you'd have 12:1 contention.

roast wrote: »
    If your ISP complies, a change to swift would work, but not reliably at 12Mb down (if at all).
    There's a 7.6Mb down, 672Kb up profile on swift, that'd give you a decent increase on upload without affecting the downstream SNR too much, also you'd have 12:1 contention.

Thanks Roast. Might try that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Moved IrelandOffline > Broadband

Advertisement