Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confidence advice new job?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 4:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hoping for some advice please! Im leaving a big organisation soon after being very badly bullied by my American boss. Due to budget cuts she had to downsize and as I outdid any targets, her only option was to manage me out.

Lots of it was very playground tactics, from 'nobody likes you', to making sure she upset me Friday evening before we went home. My health has suffered badly & I feel like a different person to the fun person i was before.

The great news is I've got a shiny new job to go to and a solicitor! But for my own sake & my wonderful family I need some tips from anyone who's been thru this before on getting my confidence back??

Am also worried the first time someone says boo to me in the good new job I'll freak out, any suggestions? Thanks so much! NO job is worth your health or sanity, best of luck to those on the hunt :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

In my opinion your first move is to speak to your Doctor. I don't know exactly to what extent your last experience affected your health but I'll bet that you may have developed some form of anxiety disorder even if you're not aware of it. He may put you on a short course of anti-depressants or mild sedatives. It'll help you through your first few weeks.

As well as that having experienced bullying myself (not for any particular reason other than the fact she was a right bitch) you need to focus on the positives. You were being bullied because you were good at your job and you can hang your head high safe in the knowledge that your excellence forced someone to degrade themselves by stooping to the level of a pathetic bully. This has been validated by the fact that you got a new job in a torrid financial times that see's hundreds of thousands unemployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 thankfully

Thanks for the advice! I know obviously you wouldn't mention companies here but hope for people reading you research a new employer well.

There's loads of reviews out there & a lot of info available that raises red flags, hoping my next job will be happier!

Advertisement