Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Genuinely think that Ireland would be in a much better place in his career if he had stuck it out at international level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

Don't know CSF we'd all love him to discover the form he had at Man City but I think if at all possible it's time to cut our losses.

Villa have invested enough time and money and it's time for him to move on the only problem is who'd have him? Hughes at Stoke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

pavb2 wrote: »
    Don't know CSF we'd all love him to discover the form he had at Man City but I think if at all possible it's time to cut our losses.

Villa have invested enough time and money and it's time for him to move on the only problem is who'd have him? Hughes at Stoke?
    Oh god no, the chap is finished. I was referring to back in the day when he packed it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

Whoever mocked this up is on the ball

HipsterLambo.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

So Helenius and one other 'mystery' player are likely to be our final comings in before we shift the dead wood out....expect alot of crazy speculation as to could it might be for next week or two!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭pavb2

So after the trauma of the season there was obviously a lot of work going on on in the background. So fair play to the scouts etc. (Assuming the signings are any good.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

So Helenius and one other 'mystery' player are likely to be our final comings in before we shift the dead wood out....expect alot of crazy speculation as to could it might be for next week or two!

I assume it'll be Popov based on the fact that he's said there's been contact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

It looks like Antonio Luna is on his way to Villa from Seville for a reported €3m.

He's a 22 year old left back and a Spanish U-21 international so that's very good news as Bennett doesn't look too competent in that position to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Naturally, I am over the moon at this signing....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Raekwon wrote: »
    It looks like Antonio Luna is on his way to Villa from Seville for a reported €3m.

He's a 22 year old left back and a Spanish U-21 international so that's very good news as Bennett doesn't look too competent in that position to say the least.

ha yeah his wiki has already been edited to say he's a Villa player. Must admit it's another "who?" player for me but I def think we need another LB, hopefully he can prove a bargain at around 3m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Whats the craic with Enda Stevens? I havent heard much about him!!! if Bennet is not good enough and with the latest signing a left back..Will he go out on loan??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Whats the craic with Enda Stevens? I havent heard much about him!!! if Bennet is not good enough and with the latest signing a left back..Will he go out on loan??

Stevens definitely isn't good enough to be playing Premier League football (at the moment anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Most of the squad next year will resemble that of some obscure Championship team that just got promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

LeBash wrote: »
    Most of the squad next year will resemble that of some obscure Championship team that just got promoted.

Apart from one of the best strikers in Europe if we can keep him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Apart from one of the best strikers in Europe if we can keep him.
    And we will have Benteke aswell, cant expect Gabby to keep us up again by himself :D

• Advertisement

Sylla made his Mali debut today. Very happy for him and all, but that means we'll be losing him every couple of years for the ACN

COYVB wrote: »
    Sylla made his Mali debut today. Very happy for him and all, but that means we'll be losing him every couple of years for the ACN

Hopefully he is nice and fresh when he comes back. We need a big year out of him next season. Unless one of the new lads is a cm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

This is brilliant, getting a load of signings done early on. This is exactly the opposite of what happened in January. Getting excited already!

Eathrin wrote: »
    This is brilliant, getting a load of signings done early on. This is exactly the opposite of what happened in January. Getting excited already!

Yeah, the vibe around here is planets apart from 3-4 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Hopefully he is nice and fresh when he comes back. We need a big year out of him next season. Unless one of the new lads is a cm.

Bacuna's favoured position apparently.

• Advertisement

When is our first pre season friendly? And just wondierng will anywhere over here sell the new kit or will be be an online order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

When is our first pre season friendly? And just wondierng will anywhere over here sell the new kit or will be be an online order?

Here you go as organised by the Irish Lions - http://us2.campaign-archive2.com/?u=c18028e2eaff547ad2e171282&id=b48b7ddfcb&e=[UNIQID]

Competition for spots already looking really nice.

GK: Guzan, Given*, Siegrest
    RB: Lowton, Hutton*
    CB: Vlaar, Okore, Baker, Clark
    LB: Luna, Bennett, Stevens
    CM: Sylla, Westwood, Delph, Bacuna, Bannan*, KEA, Holman*, Herd*, Ireland*
    AM/W: Tonev, N'Zogbia*, Gardner, Albrighton, (Gabby + Weimann)
    S: Benteke, Weimann, Gabby, Bowery, Bent*, Delfouneso

*Likely/rumoured to be leaving

Plus a few young lads coming through. If all the marked players leave, that leaves a squad of 22. So still room for some additions. RB is the only place we have no real cover (can Okore play there?), after that I'd like to see another keeper, another centre mid and maybe another forward, but not an out and out striker; someone who can play wide or in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Stevens definitely isn't good enough to be playing Premier League football (at the moment anyway).

Completely disagree, had a great start when he started playing this season and looked comfortable and promising on the ball. That injury came at a extremely bad time so i feel sorry for him on that front.

listermint wrote: »
    Completely disagree, had a great start when he started playing this season and looked comfortable and promising on the ball. That injury came at a extremely bad time so i feel sorry for him on that front.

He was alright. Probably better than Bennett but if he was up for a transfer tomorrow i think hed land in the Championship. To be fair to the lad the change of manager didnt help him. PL may have been thinking along the lines of "i bought Bennet and he is a promising English tallent which cost millions. Stevens was here and i dont need to justify the outlay on him because i didnt spend it".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Why is Herd expected to leave?

He was alright. Probably better than Bennett but if he was up for a transfer tomorrow i think hed land in the Championship. To be fair to the lad the change of manager didnt help him. PL may have been thinking along the lines of "i bought Bennet and he is a promising English tallent which cost millions. Stevens was here and i dont need to justify the outlay on him because i didnt spend it".

But Lambert was giving him starts,i think he started around 5 games. Certainly looked more comfortable than bennett every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Lots of reports from the Danish media that Nicklas Helenius was in Birmingham today and will be unveiled as an Aston Villa player either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Loads of reports that Luna is close to being done for €1.7m too

I just hope all this talk about landing luna isn't just a big conspiracy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Raekwon wrote: »
    Lots of reports from the Danish media that Nicklas Helenius was in Birmingham today and will be unveiled as an Aston Villa player either tomorrow or Wednesday.

Great, can we get rid of Bowery now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Eathrin wrote: »
    Great, can we get rid of Bowery now?
    NOOO Bowery gives me hope, there is still a chance for someone like me with no talent of making it pro

Bowery has done absolutely nothing wrong when he's played...

COYVB wrote: »
    Bowery has done absolutely nothing wrong when he's played...

He has a tactical role that he fills pretty well but he wouldnt get double figures if he started every game.

If he costs very little might be worth keeping for a different point of attack or give the others a rest in early cup games

As you say, he has a role that he fills when needed. We've also never lost a league game he's played in AFAIK. He works very well against big physical sides, and given the lack of size in the midfield, he's a fine player to have particularly since his wages will be minuscule. Absolutely no idea why he gets the flak he does. If it wasn't for his chasing the ball down against Stoke to set Gabby up, that game could have gone quite differently

He's never looked particularly out of place, and if used sparingly and to his strengths he's an asset. He's not going to be a top flight starter, but he's a handy squad option against physical sides. There are worse players in the squad than him and quite a few better players who aren't as useful

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Would not expect him to go unless we signed two forwards with Benteke signing on to a new contract (still think he will but will leave next Summer anyway if he keeps his form up in which case for a good fee I'll accept it), Bent will be out the door first and with nobody will be pushing for Bowery to follow him unless we sign more methinks

No point selling Bowery if he's content to stick around as a cheap battering ram.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Everytime I see the new jersey with the new sponsor, at first glance I keep thinking it says dafuk

• Advertisement

How many signings is that now ?

I think we are topping the number of signings list with these early deals. promising stuff all together.

4 so far with Luna probably in the next day or 2, just to get rid of the deadwood now and maybe another couple nearer the end of the window and we'll be in a far better place hopefully!

matrim wrote: »
    Everytime I see the new jersey with the new sponsor, at first glance I keep thinking it says dafuk

haha! Same! :pac:

4 so far with Luna probably in the next day or 2, just to get rid of the deadwood now and maybe another couple nearer the end of the window and we'll be in a far better place hopefully!

Yeah I think that's the plan. The squad building part of the window is now done, or at least will be when Luna signs, then it'll be a case of building up funds again through sales/saved wages, for another bash in the market for a couple of pricier players in August I'd say

So next season we're probably looking at a first team of

Guzan
    Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna
    ----Westwood - Delph
    Wiemann - Bacuna - Gabby
    Benteke

Backup :
    Seigrist
    Baker Clark Bennett
    Sylla KEA
    Tonev
    Gardner----Bowery
    Helenius

So about the only position we don't have a backup is at RB, and if we keep someone like Herd they can slot in there if required.

Then we also have the likes of Carruthers, Burke, Drennan who might be just starting to push for places in the first team squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

So next season we're probably looking at a first team of

Guzan
    Lowton Okore Vlaar Luna
    ----Westwood - Delph
    Wiemann - Bacuna - Gabby
    Benteke

Backup :
    Seigrist
    Baker Clark Bennett
    Sylla KEA
    Tonev
    Gardner----Bowery
    Helenius

So about the only position we don't have a backup is at RB, and if we keep someone like Herd they can slot in there if required.

Then we also have the likes of Carruthers, Burke, Drennan who might be just starting to push for places in the first team squad.

Well I wouldn't necessarily think luna or Bacuna will be starters, at least not straight away.
    And hopefully 1 or 2 quality, bigger signings will be made.

• Advertisement

JPA wrote: »
    Well I wouldn't necessarily think luna or Bacuna will be starters, at least not straight away.
    And hopefully 1 or 2 quality, bigger signings will be made.

I wouldn't be suprised if one of Bacuna or Tonev were starters. I can see us getting rid of N'Zogbia and that leaves us with no one for the forward of the 3 in midfield role.

I know Sylla did that at the end of last season but I don't see him as a long term option there.

Bacuna won't start, he's nowhere near PL standard yet from the bits I've seen of him and listening to people in Holland talk about him. He's definitely one for the future. As things stand I don't think we'll actually line up all that differently to last season. Okore will likely be the only signing to start the first game

I wouldn't be suprised if one of Bacuna or Tonev were starters. I can see us getting rid of N'Zogbia and that leaves us with no one for the forward of the 3 in midfield role.

I know Sylla did that at the end of last season but I don't see him as a long term option there.

Nzogbia doesn't start, so even if Tonev is his replacement, it won't necessarily mean first team football straight off the bat

And, IMO, Sylla will be our most important player this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Great to get signings in this early, makes a good change from past years. Of course the signing of players is not where Lambert will earn his crust, it's in the fact if they are any good or not. I've said in earlier posts I'm still a bit worried about the midfield, I like Sylla and thought he did a great job there but he was a bit hit and miss at times, especially against better opposition. Still think we need someone else in there to at least challenge for places in that enforcer type position.

Sylla made a massive step up and slotted in as well as you could have expected for someone young and without the language. If he has a decent preseason and gets more comfortable with English, the area and his team mates, he's going to be a monster. Though it could very easily go the other way too. Definitely think he's got enough about him to be a star though

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement