Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom e-fibre connects 103,000 customers.

Options
  • 28-05-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭

http://www.businessworld.ie/livenews.htm?a=3170094

"Our significant programme of investment continued, and at the end of March 2014 the fibre footprint had passed 800,000 homes and businesses. We are on track to pass 1,000,000 premises during summer 2014 and 1,400,000 premises by 2016, which will provide 70pc of all homes and businesses in Ireland access to high speed broadband. During the quarter, eircom became one of the first operators in Europe to deploy vectoring technology, which enables broadband speeds of up to 100Mb/s. We are starting to see the benefit of our investments with some 103,000 customers already taking up our high speed broadband services at the end of March, representing a 13pc penetration of the 800,000 premises passed. Our 4G roll out is ahead of schedule and now covers 50pc of the population in Ireland. Our investment in converged billing platforms enables us to be the only operator to offer a 'quad play' of services, including TV on a single bill," said Mr Hribar.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I don't want passed. I want an affordable connection.
    Took me 1 hr to upload 8min of SD video. Actually it would have been THREE HOURS on ADSL2+ as it is only about 0.3Mbps upload. I get 0.9Mbps on my Fixed Wireless.

At 900m from exchange it's likely that when fibre "passes" in 2016 only further out estates will get cabinets. Ours will likely just see a marginal increase assuming the VDSL doesn't fall back to ADSL2+.

I might have been impressed if they met their 2016-17 targets for this maybe in 2002. But we need more affordable Universal Broadband with minimum 100Mbps for 85% to 90% (peak times inc contention) and the rest on a MINIMUM 20Mbps (peak times inc contention, any true Broadband tech) with no-one at all on 3G, 4G or Satellite as an alternative.

What % of these premises can get Cable?

Why are you still almost the most expensive on planet for Line Rental?

The TV & 4G is irrelevant. We already have too many people wasting money on Pay TV compared to rest of Europe. 82% Penetration, vs a reasonable 55% and yet 92% of what Pay TV viewers watch is Free To Air. Realistically Eircom Pay TV can only offer a poorer service than Sky or UPC and get their customers from them. The PayTV market is way beyond saturation.

Without knowing the true capacity per population density and Geographic coverage the 50% 4G claim is meaningless.

Still it's all better than doing nothing.

Advertisement