Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ICloud Memory Compresstion

Options
  • 08-11-2014 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hello,

I updated my Icloud account to the 20GB a month storage. (99 cent a month). Im backing up my 16gb IPhone 5 and My 16gb Ipad Air.

Today I backed up My IPhone 5. Total Usage so far is 11.6 gb with 1.6gb left.
    Photos and Videos alone are over 4gb. I've enabled the backup of photos too.

The back up says its only took 654.3mb. No error message came up

Same With My Ipad Air. Only little over 1GB left of storage but the back up is only 2.6 gb of space on Icloud.

Out Of the 20gb I have 16.5gb left.

My question is, Is the storage compressed in Icloud. As if they turn your data into A ZIP file so it doesn't take up too much space on their behalf ?

Thanks For The Replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

ChewyLewy wrote: »
    Hello,

I updated my Icloud account to the 20GB a month storage. (99 cent a month). Im backing up my 16gb IPhone 5 and My 16gb Ipad Air.

Today I backed up My IPhone 5. Total Usage so far is 11.6 gb with 1.6gb left.
    Photos and Videos alone are over 4gb. I've enabled the backup of photos too.

The back up says its only took 654.3mb. No error message came up

Same With My Ipad Air. Only little over 1GB left of storage but the back up is only 2.6 gb of space on Icloud.

Out Of the 20gb I have 16.5gb left.

My question is, Is the storage compressed in Icloud. As if they turn your data into A ZIP file so it doesn't take up too much space on their behalf ?

Thanks For The Replies

They probably don't compress. They may not be charging you for dupes ( ie music or videos which are held in common with others). Different cloud vendors charge that space differently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not everything is backed up. Music and movies aren't. And only photos in your camera roll (i.e. photos taken on that device). To sync all your music and photos to iCloud you need iTunes Match and iCloud Photo Library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭evlgmaojr27ypu

Stuff like Apps don't count against your iCloud data, while the app data will be included.. Movies, Songs etc. that you purchase from iTunes will be restored from iCloud and don't count against your iCloud data, while Movies, songs etc. that are purchased from other providers are not backed-up to iCloud (if you require this feature for music you can purchase iTunes Match).. Same with your photos and videos they are not stored with your device backups, rather in a iCloud Photo Library and are shared between your devices to save on data.. Here is an article from Apple which runs down the list http://support.apple.com/kb/ph12519

Advertisement