Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HTC Sensation XL

• 09-11-2011 5:48pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭

Anyone else have this phone?

How are you finding it?

Just ordered it from o2 (UK), should have it Friday morning.

Current phone is a Desire Z so the increase in screen size will be a nice change, but I will miss having a hardware keyboard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just on my way into Carphone Whorehouse to pick up one myself :D

I'll let you know later if you should cancel the order or not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

KTRIC wrote: »

Cheers, have a 14 return period anyway if I don't like it ;)

Am getting a RAM mount and power supply for the bike, so I'll have it as maps, music & phone connected to the bluetooth in my lid ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

Well what did you think of it? Not much buzz around this phone surprisingly as everybody still seems obsessed with the Galaxy II at the moment.

TBH I really want the XE but I'm put off by the fact that it's exclusivity on O2 and the XL looks like a good alternative.

I was just wondering what the screen resolution was like? I heard it's not as sharp as you'd expect for a 4.7 inch screen.

Also I've never seen it in the flesh and was wondering is it really big in the hand?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Surprised that this has a single core cpu. Not sure how well it will run ICS.
    The XE would be a better buy going by the specs.

Yeah the singlecore CPU is a major drawback as is the strange decision to exclude an SDcard slot. They should have included 1GB of RAM at the very least to offset this but unfortunately they haven't.

Yeah the XE is by far the superior phone but O2's ridiculously poor data plans means that won't be an option unless other networks get it in as I can't afford to go SIM free.

• Advertisement

Love it :)

hell of a lot smoother than my Desire Z and having such a big screen on a phone is brilliant.

you can't really tell that the resolution is lower, just that everythings looks larger than it does on the standard Sensation.

and I got the special edition with the Beats headphones :D

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Love it :)

hell of a lot smoother than my Desire Z and having such a big screen on a phone is brilliant.

you can't really tell that the resolution is lower, just that everythings looks larger than it does on the standard Sensation.

and I got the special edition with the Beats headphones :D

Cheers for that! :)

Where did you get the special edition?

I was looking at both 3 & Meteor for this phone and it's €269 on 3 for an 18 month contract @ €40 pm and only €119 on Meteor for the same contract length and monthly fee.

Are 3 doing the special edition or something because that's a price difference of €150 :eek:

I'm in the UK, I got it for O2.

Free with a 24 month £39 per month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Raekwon wrote: »
    Cheers for that! :)

Where did you get the special edition?

I was looking at both 3 & Meteor for this phone and it's €269 on 3 for an 18 month contract @ €40 pm and only €119 on Meteor for the same contract length and monthly fee.

Are 3 doing the special edition or something because that's a price difference of €150 :eek:

Simple exercise, call meteor support and 3 support there now, 1913 and 1905, then see can you see why the difference.
    It could come down start of december on 3 but meteor are just giving stuff away at the moment to get customers but there loosing just as quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Raekwon wrote: »
    Yeah the singlecore CPU is a major drawback as is the strange decision to exclude an SDcard slot. They should have included 1GB of RAM at the very least to offset this but unfortunately they haven't.

Yeah the XE is by far the superior phone but O2's ridiculously poor data plans means that won't be an option unless other networks get it in as I can't afford to go SIM free.

The reason for the spec is that the phone is also the WP7 HTC Titan.

• Advertisement

Simple exercise, call meteor support and 3 support there now, 1913 and 1905, then see can you see why the difference.
    It could come down start of december on 3 but meteor are just giving stuff away at the moment to get customers but there loosing just as quick.

Regardless of the quality of customer service, €150 is still a massive price difference for the same device on two different networks.

3 are taking the piss IMO especially when the normal HTC Sensation is only €139 and the vastly superior XE is €199 on O2 and they are notorious for over pricing their handsets.

EDIT: Btw I meant that the XE is vastly superior to the XL not the original Sensation, as it's basically the same phone as the original, it just has an over clocked processor and free headphones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

The reason for the spec is that the phone is also the WP7 HTC Titan.

I got mine today. I'm aware of this but it's still disappointing it doesn't have an SD card slot and USB on-the-go.

The screen is big, but I find the WVGA resolution fine. Been using a Nokia C7 for the past while and the C7 seems tiny in my hand in comparison! I notice I hold it away a little bit further than I would normally.

I can't say I find the Beats audio and the earphones that compelling. They seem average, if a bit too bassy for my liking.

All in all it's very slick.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

KTRIC wrote: »

are you sure ur talking about the sam beats xl? i went to warehouse in Sligo and they told me they dont have them at all, its only available in Meteor as allwys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi guys,
    What are the Beats headphones that come with them like? Thinking about buying a pair of these off a lad on Adverts.ie today.....

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

madmoe wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    What are the Beats headphones that come with them like? Thinking about buying a pair of these off a lad on Adverts.ie today.....

Cheers,
    M

You get headphones with the special edition Sensation XL, otherwise you get a pair of Monster urBeats earphones.

As for the earphones, they're better than what you usually get with a phone. Apart from too much bass they're pretty average and not worth the money.

You might want to check out the Headphones and Portable Audio Devices forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Any more user views on this?
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

mathie wrote: »
    Any more user views on this?
    thanks

I was thinking of getting this phone but the consensus from reviews and the like, is the XL is not worth paying the extra over the regular Sensation.

Single core processor & worse GPU.
    No SD card slot
    Lower resolution (but larger screen)

Advertisement