Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTC Wildfire S

Options
  • 08-10-2011 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭

Anyone here have experience with this model? Lost my phone (LG Optimus GT540) so have to get a new one. Was planning on breaking the bank and getting an iPhone 5 but since that never happened I'm going to go for something relatively cheap (~€250) until the iPhone 5 is released and this HTC looks pretty good I think?

Would be getting it for the 5MP camera, Facebook App, memory card, touchscreen, overall design, etc. Nothing too special but has everything I want in a phone.

Is there anyone that would recommend this phone (or a better one?). Anything I should know before buying?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭smilerf

my cousin own one. its nice to hold looks nice but according to reviews the Samsung galaxy ace is better

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

smilerf wrote: »
    my cousin own one. its nice to hold looks nice but according to reviews the Samsung galaxy ace is better

I disagree, play with both, see what you think, I personally love the Wildfire S, more than the ace, and I was in the same boat as the op with what to buy, preference comes down to what you like, unfortunately the internal memory on the wildfire s is my biggest complaint...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Lads, what's the issue with internal memory? I'm not too knowledgable on phone specs or anything but how would the average user be affected by the low memory? Does the phone come with a memory card?

Captain Morgan, how long does your battery last after a full charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

I got one (over a Galaxy Ace) - Partially for the Sense interface, but ended up using Launcher Pro (nullifying the benefit of Sense UI), I kinda wish I got the SGA. It does the job fine, main problems being the low internal memory + ARMv6 processor (can't run FireFox mobile). IMO: Go for the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Brother has it aswell and he loves it. The low internal memory wrecks his bulb. He wouldnt be a heavy user, few camera apps and that's about it really. If you use the phone more than your average user, with apps and that then I wouldn't bother with it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I have played with both of them and i think i prefer the Wildfire S over the Galaxy Ace too, despite the screen size being smaller(Thought the quality of the Galaxy Ace's screen was ****e, tbh.). The Wildfire S just seems like so much more of a quality product, in terms of both build quality and materials. It comes with Gingerbread pre-installed too, which is nice.

I know nothing of the battery life, though

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

I get about 2-3 days with a bit of internet use out of mine. Internal memory isn't to bad once you move the apps you install to the memory card.

That battery is definitely faulty, even before I changed settings to optimise the battery life I was getting more then a day out of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Thanks all, will try out a Three sim card this week and will have a look at the HTC too, think I might just wait a few weeks and get the iPhone 4S if I can't find something decent for €250 or so..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I like the look of this phone but could someone that knows more about it than me, would you be able to tell me how the extra memory card works

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I like the look of this phone but could someone that knows more about it than me, would you be able to tell me how the extra memory card works

Well you can store more applications on your card, and music etc...

What the guys are talking about above is the internal memory of the phone isn't the best, a paultry 150mb...

There is a way around it though, like anything - if you root the phone (google it) you can install app2sd which fools your internal memory into thinking it has more than it should....

I now have a 1gb internal memory on mine, and only now does it feel like a proper Android phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Would you have a link to App2sd, fooling phone into thinking the sd is internal storage, please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭basillarkin

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Would you have a link to App2sd, fooling phone into thinking the sd is internal storage, please
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.a0soft.gphone.app2sd.pro&feature=m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 XUnknownX

Hi, any help would be appreciated.
    I just bought a iPod touch and i was wondering about the HTC Wildfire S to get but i don't know if it would be a waist as i already have an ipod its just i want to upgrade my phone because i have a Noka C3. After reading this i was thinking of the Galaxy Ace, looks nice, decent enough camera and not too big, i was about to get the Xperia Play when i decided not too because of the size, i'd like a smartphone that's not so small that you'd be pulling your hair out trying to type a text, and the galaxy Ace has a fairly nice screen without being bulgy in your pocket.
    i'm not a big fan of loads of apps and games, all i'd be using it for is a good bit of texting, some phone calls, and the facebook and youtube app occasionally on wifi. Does anybody have any experience with the Wildfire's keyboard? because i had an Xperia x8 and had to get a Nokia c3 due to the small screen.
    any help appreciated..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

This is really a phone that is targeted at the first time smartphone user, not someone who has any real experience using one. I got one for my missus just there for Christmas, and it's her first smartphone after using Nokia's for years. She loves the phone and uses it fairly heavily already with texting and a few apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 XUnknownX

It's just my main worry is the keyboard and response to typing, just after having the sell the x8 over crappy keyboard and tiny screen, my fingers are on the big side and i like to type rapidly. thanks.
    and very nice to buy her it ;)

Advertisement