Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why buy a tablet?

• 13-08-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭

I'm a PC man. Well mac at the moment but that's just being pedantic. My setup is a 2010 Macbook Pro at home with stand, external keyboard and mouse on my desk. It's effectively a desktop replacement. What I like about it though is I can disconnect the cables and take my entire computer with me to the kitchen, bedroom etc. instead of it being stuck to the desk. Basically I love the portability and small form factor of a laptop, which these days are more than powerful enough for me 90% of the time.

Recently though I've been reading about the Google Nexus 7 and tried it out a few times. It's a nice machine, great form factor and great price. I've been tempted many times to buy it. But I've hesitated.

Why buy it? How will it fit into my life?

I can't answer this. If I want to browse the web, check emails, watch videos etc. I'll just grab my laptop. If I'm out and about, I have my phone, which does the same thing as the Nexus (Galaxy S2). I drive to work, so don't use a device on my commute, and I work with the public so I'm on my feet all day, so couldn't use it there. So why get it? I'm afraid it would be a waste. Either the Nexus 7 will be wasted or my Macbook Pro will. I'm sure I can't be the only person in this kind of situation. Why buy a tablet at all?

How does it fit into your life?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

First world problem!

To me it sounds like you don't need a tablet. Well technically no one needs a tablet.

Tablet is only good for consuming information on the go, browsing in front of the tv, watching video on the move, keeping up to date with Social Networks/News when away from a computer.

Your phone will do all of the above but you may need a tablet if you feel the screen is too small to do the above or your laptop is too big.

A tablet is not a replacement for any existing device, its a new niche that some people find they have a use for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

If you do buy one you'll find uses for it, uses that you never thought you needed filled! Like not getting out of bed to check email, watch videos on youtube or browse random websites. I have a nexus and use it for trivial stuff most of the time, the rest of the time I'm able to take notes on it with Evernote, Teamviewer to connect to my PC at home and reading ebooks and I only use it instead of a laptop because it's easier to carry around and turns on faster. This is everything my phone can do but with the added advantage of a larger screen and that's basically it, if you have an android phone you can do most of what the nexus can do but you have a smaller screen. If you have a laptop then you can do most of what the nexus can do but type faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

I do the same thing as you with my notebook computer (HP DV6) and mobile phone (Samsung Nexus S). Have yet to purchase a tablet for the same reasons. The only advantage I can see to a tablet is having a larger screen and more computing power than the phone while not having to lug around the weight/bulk of the notebook and charger. I only have one pair of hands and one pair of eyes so I can only use one device at a time. For that reason, I'm holding off on the tablet purchase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Mantel wrote: »
    If you do buy one you'll find uses for it, uses that you never thought you needed filled!

This!

Everyone I know who thought they didn't need a tablet and then bought one says they now couldn't live without one, you'll be surprised at how more flexible it will be than a laptop, people use them while cooking, reading at night, quick uses during ad breaks on TV, for when you need to know something fast and can't be bother booting up the laptop etc....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭nedd

draffodx wrote: »
    This!

Everyone I know who thought they didn't need a tablet and then bought one says they now couldn't live without one, you'll be surprised at how more flexible it will be than a laptop, people use them while cooking, reading at night, quick uses during ad breaks on TV, for when you need to know something fast and can't be bother booting up the laptop etc....

I'm almost convinced now ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 introubleman

What is the best value one to buy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've a tablet / phone / laptop too.

The tablet is not necessary. It doesn't do anything the other two don't do. But I find it's replacing the other devices in some areas.

When I go on holidays the laptop used to be in my bag. The tablet has totally replaced that.

Like Mantel above I use it in the morning to check emails, news apps and a couple of other items before getting out of bed. If I didn't have the tablet, I wouldn't use the laptop for that. That may not be a good thing :)

I don't really type emails on my phone, if I do they're one or two lines max. On the tablet it's handier.

I can't remember the last time I watched video on my laptop. I watch video on my tablet all the time.

I read ebooks on the tablet. I've never read an ebook on a PC. It doesn't feel right to me.

The tablet & phone are Android so they both have the same apps. Given the choice, I default to the tablet. The laptop is only used for work really now.

Advantages the tablet has over a laptop are, it's very quick to turn on and get into your app so you're more likely to use it (if I had to boot a laptop I may think shag it), I don't need to worry about battery or dragging around a power cable. I charge it about twice a week. Even the heaviest tablets are very light so it tends to be nearby. A laptop is portable but once I set mine up on my desk, that's kind of where it stays as I have a pile of cables plugged into it.

So why buy a tablet?
    If you have a laptop and smartphone. I don't think you need one. It's a luxury item. It has a few advantages / disadvantages over a laptop similar to how a laptop has advantages / disadvantages over a desktop PC.

I'd say for people like my folks (they have a laptop only) a tablet would be all they need and better than a laptop. They just check a few emails and surf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

On top of those replies below:
    1. Use it to review photos and as a photo storage/backup while travelling. The screen on all cameras is too small to check if a photo is worth keeping or it should be discarded.
    2. "Replacement" for paper maps (with GPS navigation) and option to make annotations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Plan on getting one later in the year basically to use as an eReader. But also for comics and training documentation, which can be a right pain to try and read off a phone. But also giving me a bit of flexibility for what ever else I may want to do at the time with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 350 ✭✭CRM Ireland

I have an Android HTC Desire HD mobile and a Motorla Xoom 3G. Im out and about at work a lot and often have to check emails, check sat nav etc. Two reasons why I bother carrying my Tablet about in my bag are simple. Its much easier to read things on a bigger screen without having to scroll around so much. However, the biggest and most important reason is that the battery is amazing on the tablet. I can be on it more or less all day using the 3G connection. My phone would die within a couple of hours if I used the 3G and had the screen lit up as I used it. Id be lost without my mobile, so I have to keep everything switched off on it. Come to think about it, Id have been as well to have a much cheaper phone without the big screen (for a mobile) and all the energy consuming tech, but I bought that before my tablet, so thats my excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Good reply mickoneill, and I'm not trying to start an argument but have a couple of questions. :)

I can't remember the last time I watched video on my laptop. I watch video on my tablet all the time.

I don't need to worry about battery or dragging around a power cable. I charge it about twice a week

Wouldn't video use up the battery quite quickly? Only needing to charge it twice a week is impressive but I'd say if I was using it for all the same things I do as my laptop - videos, photos, as well as browsng, it wouldn't last as long as my laptop would under similar use? Bear in mind my laptop battery lasts around 3-4 hours depending on use; a lot less with videos.

Also tablets have very little hard drive space compared to laptops so do you have to plug in an external hard drive to watch videos on it? This would be a big limitation on an iPad with no usb (I know your tablet probably does). The only way to transfer big files to an iPad is over a network - not gonna work for me! Anyway I know that doesn't apply to Android as most of them have usb. But still, being able to keep my films on your laptop is an advantage for me as I don't always need to carry a hard drive around as I would need to with the tablet.
    Advantages the tablet has over a laptop are, it's very quick to turn on and get into your app so you're more likely to use it (if I had to boot a laptop I may think shag it)

People turn off their laptops when they aren't using it. People leave their phones on all the time (mostly so they can receive calls and texts). I'm wondering how a tablet fits in for the average user. Would you leave your tablet on when you aren't using it or at night, so you can quickly look at it whenenver you need?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Wouldn't video use up the battery quite quickly? Only needing to charge it twice a week is impressive but I'd say if I was using it for all the same things I do as my laptop - videos, photos, as well as browsng, it wouldn't last as long as my laptop would under similar use?

The battery on my Xoom lasts over 8 hours turned on. So if I used it for 3 hours a day (I don't) that means it has to be charged a couple of times a week. I'd say I'd use it max of 2 hours a day. One hour long TV show only takes 40 minutes when you don't have ads :)
    I haven't noticed video using the battery more than other tasks. I have had it on a 13 hour flight and was able to watch a few movies with plenty of battery to spare when I landed (obviously I didn't use it for the whole 13 hours).
    I didn't say a tablet would replace a laptop. I did say in my last post that it was a luxury item and wasn't "needed" by most people
    Also tablets have very little hard drive space compared to laptops so do you have to plug in an external hard drive to watch videos on it?

Mine has 32Gb. This is expandable but I don't need to. I stream most of my video from a server over my network. When travelling, 32Gb is plenty for me for a couple of weeks video & audio.
    People turn off their laptops when they aren't using it. People leave their phones on all the time (mostly so they can receive calls and texts). I'm wondering how a tablet fits in for the average user. Would you leave your tablet on when you aren't using it or at night, so you can quickly look at it whenenver you need?

Yep. It's always on, it just uses a tiny amount of battery when the screen is off. So pressing the power button on the tablet brings it up in less than a second. Pressing the power button on a laptop (even if it's in suspend mode) takes longer than that. If the tablet powers off totally then it takes even longer than a laptop to boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

In a similar situation myslef at the moment.
    I currently develop apps for android tablets as part of my work, but outside that I'd dont actually think I'd have a real need for one (as the laptop and phone cover all the bases so far) so it would be more a luxury purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Broken Strings

Elessar wrote: »
    I'm a PC man. Well mac at the moment but that's just being pedantic. My setup is a 2010 Macbook Pro at home with stand, external keyboard and mouse on my desk. It's effectively a desktop replacement. What I like about it though is I can disconnect the cables and take my entire computer with me to the kitchen, bedroom etc. instead of it being stuck to the desk. Basically I love the portability and small form factor of a laptop, which these days are more than powerful enough for me 90% of the time.

Recently though I've been reading about the Google Nexus 7 and tried it out a few times. It's a nice machine, great form factor and great price. I've been tempted many times to buy it. But I've hesitated.

Why buy it? How will it fit into my life?

I can't answer this. If I want to browse the web, check emails, watch videos etc. I'll just grab my laptop. If I'm out and about, I have my phone, which does the same thing as the Nexus (Galaxy S2). I drive to work, so don't use a device on my commute, and I work with the public so I'm on my feet all day, so couldn't use it there. So why get it? I'm afraid it would be a waste. Either the Nexus 7 will be wasted or my Macbook Pro will. I'm sure I can't be the only person in this kind of situation. Why buy a tablet at all?

How does it fit into your life?

I'm about to buy a Nexus but often I share my boyfriends iPad (Joint custody, 3 days a week each and alternating 7th day :P) I use it mainly as an ebook reader for books and comics and obviously I get the benefit out of the browsing features and Facebook too. I find my android phone, while the screen is big for a phone (HTC Sensation), its too cramped to read books on and I have tried!

I use my laptop mainly for programming assignments, photoshop, and torrenting. Things that I would find difficult to do on a tablet or android phone. I know theres a photoshop App but obviously thats super basic. I wouldn't feel comfortable whipping my laptop out on a bus to read an ebook during a long journey especially with how old it is because the battery lasts about 2 hours and it's goosed so it would seem pointless.

I have an android phone, will have an android tablet tomorrow, a laptop and a 3rd gen ipod touch with wi-fi and I regret nothing :P I find a use for each of them that fits into my everyday life.

My name is Broken Strings and I'm a self-confessed tech junkie :D And the way I see it is there's a lot worse things in the world I could be hooked on :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I have a desktop, a netbook and a phone and have had a tablet for almost a year now. As others have said it's a convenience thing, the netbook is very rarely used now as the tablet doesn't have the long boot time and has replaced it for surfing, reading the papers etc. last thing at night and first thing in the morning for the main part. During the day when I use the desktop the kids are using the tablet for watching youtube and in the evening the wife is using it to buy shoes on ebay!

We are building a new house at the moment and I will probably buy some more cheap tablets to use as an interface for the sound system and as a media centre remote.

I don't need a tablet, but there would be a big whole in our lives without it!

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭pfurey101

I dont want a tablet to view my workstuff on a browser when out and about - another sim! I have an iPhone.

So I will take the plunge and dump the iPhone and get myself a Galaxy Note phablet.

I dont mind the size as browsing will be a joy. I may even get some ebooks. Furthermore this will have Google Maps (dont need to buy a SatNav) and I neednt worry about this silly Apple map thing thats coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

With an android tablet you'll have more sat-nav option than just google maps.
    My favourite:http://osmand.net/

Advertisement