Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nexus Galaxy or HTC One X

• 11-04-2012 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

I am in the market for a new handset, and the two I am torn between are the Nexus Galaxy, and the HTC One X.

My last handset was a Galaxy S II, which, IMO was far the best Android handset I have ever used (previously had N1, Desire, Hero, Xperia X8).

The plusses I see in each are...

1. Nx Galaxy - Vanilla Android, AMOLED display
    2. NTC One X - Tegra 3

Is there anything I am missing? Has anyone experience with either that might sway my decision either?

I will be buying SIM free, and prices are within €20 of each other.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have the Nexus and it has to be the best phone ive owned, previously used HTC Desire, Galaxy I, HTC Hero, HTC Legend.

I have no experience with the HTC One, my personal biggest downside is the lack of removable battery, as it has always for me been a port of call to reboot the device should i have an issue, and with the phone history ive had it has been required. But aside i had the same qualms about internal memory and no SD slot for the nexus but that has been completely been put aside as i have zero need for additional memory. What is there has been more than enough to provide for my apps and music.

I suppose it comes down to feel. You will need to try both. The Galaxy nexus has an undiluted ICS experience where as the HTC will have sense. So you need to get a feel for it yourself. The processor really has no bearing when you get to this level of phone because its not noticeable what so ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I you're counting the AMOLED as a plus on the Nexus, remember the ONE X is meant to have a fantastic screen(Although S-LCD) so thats worth seeing in person.

Obviously, the Galaxy Nexus will be getting the next version of android almost straight away so thats definitely a plus.

As for the processors, the ONE X's, is a quad core, compared to the dual core chip of the Nexus, but bear in mind what implications this has for the battery life. I can only imagine the Nexus's would be better, given HTC's poorer reputation for battery life.

The camera's in the two as well are different, only a 5MP in the Nexus but its meant to have zero lag. The ONE X's is 8MP, haven't heard much about it though

And by the way, you say the price differnce is only 20€ sim free? Where are you getting this from? Lookin on amazon, the Nexus is £390 whereas the HTC is £480? And by the way, have a look at the ONE X's thread in the android forum, apparently the cheapest way of getting one is with a 12 months contract with eMobile, and they are currently coming Sim Free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

@listermint I have used the Nexus Galaxy, and agree it is an excellent phone. The display is much nicer than my GSII, and that is a pretty nice display as it was. It is also very snappy. I will have to try to get my hands on a One X to get a feel for it.

@Zonda... I was in to Carphone Warehouse over the weekend and they gave me a price of €529, prepay from 3. They said that they get their phones unbranded, and unlocked to sell with whatever contract etc. they require. The only listing on the CPW site is VF for €599, but on Three.ie, they have it listed at €519, prepay, so that supports what CPW said.

I have read some comparisons, and, as you said Zonda, the SIPS LCD on the One X is supposed to be beautiful, even compared to the Nx Galaxy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'd say the One X would be the better buy. The phone feels nicer in the hand, has a better screen (Which is saying something as the Galaxy Nexus has a very good screen) and already seems to have amassed a fairly big developer community (Which is important for longevity... just look at the HTC Desire).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭smurra3

These maybe small points but might still sway a decision.
    1: 25gb space on dropbox for free with HTC phones
    2: Beats audio with Headphones worth a 80 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

smurra3 wrote: »
    These maybe small points but might still sway a decision.
    1: 25gb space on dropbox for free with HTC phones
    2: Beats audio with Headphones worth a 80 quid.

I think its just vodaphone that give thouse earphones (but they charge a good bit more too). I din't get them with emobile, but have since bought a pair of seinheiser earphones with the money i saved...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

listermint wrote: »
    I have the Nexus and it has to be the best phone ive owned, previously used HTC Desire, Galaxy I, HTC Hero, HTC Legend.

I have no experience with the HTC One, my personal biggest downside is the lack of removable battery, as it has always for me been a port of call to reboot the device should i have an issue, and with the phone history ive had it has been required. But aside i had the same qualms about internal memory and no SD slot for the nexus but that has been completely been put aside as i have zero need for additional memory. What is there has been more than enough to provide for my apps and music.

I suppose it comes down to feel. You will need to try both. The Galaxy nexus has an undiluted ICS experience where as the HTC will have sense. So you need to get a feel for it yourself. The processor really has no bearing when you get to this level of phone because its not noticeable what so ever.

The one x is the best.. I just got one. Incredible.

The nexus is hardly even as good as a Sgs2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭thomasj

Its unremovable battery is its biggest letdown. Given htcs reputation with batteries I think I'll let the HTC one pass.

Might be worth waiting until may 3rd where it looks like the galaxy s3 will finally be announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

the battery thing is something i haven't thought about, but i probably should.

i've had to remove the battery from my desire HD about half a dozen times to reset it when it's gone screwy, so i'm wondering how situations like that would be dealt with on the one x if you can't remove the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

The AMOLED is most definitely a minus. The pentile display is just not as good looking as the IPS display in the HTC One X. The nexus was even underpowered when released, Galaxy Note was already better than it in many respects. The HTC One is the only real choice now.

• Advertisement

Sorry but i have to call you on that, Your hilarious.

I have sitting beside my on my desk x2 Galaxy S II and a Nexus the nexus eats the S II hands down.

Id say you havent even used the three phones in conjunction :rolleyes:

- SII feels positively slower in comparison to the GN the bloatware that Samsung pile on it is not nice.
    - SII has the stupid hard home key which makes the phone look and feel dated.
    - SII feels more plasticy than any other phone no improvement on its predecessor SI
    - The Camera on the GN is so swift its devine. Its exactly as a camera should be on a phone. irregardless of the MP the pictures come out quality and nighttime shots beats the SII any day of the week.

So over to you....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Cheers all. I think I'll be going with the One X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭thomasj

The AMOLED is most definitely a minus. The pentile display is just not as good looking as the IPS display in the HTC One X. The nexus was even underpowered when released, Galaxy Note was already better than it in many respects. The HTC One is the only real choice now.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/htc-one-x-screen-flex-flaw-we-would-never-let-that-ship-50007596/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I can replicate that but only putting excessive pressure on the screen. Unless you like to hold your phone with a painful vice-like grip, that doesn't appear to be an issue on the production phones.

Sorry but i have to call you on that, Your hilarious.

I have sitting beside my on my desk x2 Galaxy S II and a Nexus the nexus eats the S II hands down.

Id say you havent even used the three phones in conjunction :rolleyes:

- SII feels positively slower in comparison to the GN the bloatware that Samsung pile on it is not nice.
    - SII has the stupid hard home key which makes the phone look and feel dated.
    - SII feels more plasticy than any other phone no improvement on its predecessor SI
    - The Camera on the GN is so swift its devine. Its exactly as a camera should be on a phone. irregardless of the MP the pictures come out quality and nighttime shots beats the SII any day of the week.

So over to you....

I sold my sgs2 for first a Sony xperia s which was bs, and for just recently a one x.

the one x is superior to anything I have used before anyone who says otherwise has not a clue, and should try it first.

the sgs2 is way better than the Sony, but the one x is much better than either, by some margin.

the nexus I have not used, but the hardware doesn't inspire, its hardly a step up from the sgs2.

The screen on the one x is the best I have seen from a Mobile device yet. it suffers no lag despite several apps running.

it's a killer phone now until the sgs3 goes live

I sold my sgs2 for first a Sony xperia s which was bs, and for just recently a one x.

the one x is superior to anything I have used before anyone who says otherwise has not a clue, and should try it first.

the sgs2 is way better than the Sony, but the one x is much better than either, by some margin.

the nexus I have not used, but the hardware doesn't inspire, its hardly a step up from the sgs2.

The screen on the one x is the best I have seen from a Mobile device yet. it suffers no lag despite several apps running.

it's a killer phone now until the sgs3 goes live

Right so youve no experience with the SGII and the Nexus then. Got it..... As i thought. Im sure you realise the hardware is different too and the OS. But lets not get in the way of an ill informed rant.

Best of luck on your new device OP. Im sure youll love it. One X looks pretty cool alright.

i had a sgs2 for a year.

nothing wrong with it, its still one of the best phones out there, i think the price of the sgs3 will be obscene.

the one x is much better than the sgs2, as for the sony, well maybe people who are used to sonys like them but not for me. thought it was the worst pile of junk ever.

Advertisement