Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where To Buy A Vox AC30?

• 10-12-2004 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

I know there's a resources sticky, but this is a bit more particular: Does ANYONE know where I can buy a Vox AC30 (either new or used)?

And I mean a store, not just Buy and Sell or the For Sale forum here on good 'ol boards.

Cheers!

-S

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions / opinions on the different models of AC30 (that does make sense, doesn't it?), I'd love to hear them. Even if they're bad news!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

www.soundslive.co.uk

If you wanna pay an arm and a leg, they used to do them in Musicmaker, so you could try in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

there is a guy selling one on boards - in the FS musical instruments section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Eoin Madsen

Okay, regarding the different types of AC30...

Vox have changed hands a lot of times. Most tone "gurus" seem to agree that the present Vox AC30 Top Boost reissue which started in the early nineties (when Korg bought Vox) is the best version since the original JMI of the 60's. AC30's during the 70s are not so great, and 80's AC30's are generally considered to be the weakest. I can't vouch for any of these opinions.

AC30 came with Celestion "Greenbacks" (G12M) or else Celestion Alnico Blues (more expensive). The Korg version stays true to this, though I believe the deal between Vox and Celestion broke down during some of the former ownerships. Also, for a while in the 80's they were being made with solidstate rectifiers instead of the original 5AR4 valve rectifier. Most would say this was a bad thing. Either way, Korg have gone back to the 5AR4, and the original circuit.

The Top Boost is a feature of all AC30's since it was introduced as a mod to the original JMI. It was basically circuitry allowing high end to be added, ie it was EQ, which the very original AC30 didn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭pancakeman

your not gonna pull the chicks with a vox ac30. save up and get some doc martins. RAWR!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

pancakeman wrote:
    your not gonna pull the chicks with a vox ac30. save up and get some doc martins. RAWR!

I'm pretty sure I could pull the chicks with an AC30 over a pair of docs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Cheers Eoin for all the advice!

I think I'm gonna go for the Top Boost re-issue with the Blue Alnico speakers (that'd make it the "AC30 TBX" afaik), if I can find it somewhere.

Now it's just the little matter of finding a dealer! Can't find any in Ireland except Musician Inc. apparently, but I asked a guy in there and he said "No". I suspect he was lying to me though.

Also, there's a chance I might be able to get one in Manchester somewhere since my Dad works from there. Think driving it back would get me out of import duty? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

no import duty inside the EU - sterling to euro rate would be a bit of a killer though

Advertisement