Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confused About My Amp

Options
  • 28-12-2004 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭

hi all, im a little confused about a feature on my amp. Its the Behringer BX600 bass amp and the thing i was confused about was the connections. there are two 1/4" sockets that have power amp in + power amp out over them with "effects loop"under the both of them, in the manual it says that this can be used to connect your effects pedal chain to the amp and then you can just plug your instrument into the normal input.... What i dont understand is y not just make a normal effects chain in between the instument and amp rather than doing it this way??? what are the advantages?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The effects loop allows you to put effects (that is anything that has a delay effect such as delay, reverb, chorus, flanger, etc, NOT the likes of distortion or EQ) on your signal without corrupting them. What I mean is that you put your signal through a chain of effects and then into your amp, the amp then amplifies the effects as well as your signal which can affect the sound. By putting them in the effects loop it is only your signal that gets amplified and the effects are applied only to the amplified signal. You can then mix the original signal with the effects loop so you can balance the wet and dry sound as you like.

I don't know if I explained this very well but hopefully you get the jist or someone else can explain properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

i assume you mean why have a seperate input for an fx instead of just pluggin the pedals into the main input on your amp... well,, try that and find out.. playing through a distortion pedal into the gain channel on an amp don't sound the mae west..

*edit* wait a minute, i'm not actually 100% sure of what the original question was :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well from what john2 said, im a little confused about that too coz you can just stomp a pedal off and the sound wouldn't be affected isn't that true, newband, theres only one channel but i just wanted to know what the difference between putting an effects loop on isted of putting my stompboxes along the cable connecting the istrument to the amp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭D!ve^Bomb!

well it all depends on your amp i guess.. i'll tell ya what i know..

On my mg250dfx,, there's an input for the guitar on the front of the amp, which is what i use, i just make use of the gain/clean channels..

But when i used to have a multi fx board, i had to connect it to the loop input on the back of the amp... if i was to use the input on the front of the amp, then i would hear both my pedals and the channel on the amp at the same time, it would become muffled and basically sound awfull and almost non audible..

Where as if you use the loop inputs, you bypass the clean/gain channels on the amp and you control the sounds you hear soley from you're pedals..

it depends on the amp you use,, i presume if you have an amp with one channel you could do whatever you want.. i can't really coment on that cos my is is the only proper amp i've had..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

the basic function of the effects loop is to allow you to have some effects between pre and power amp stages (i.e. after amp distortion) it doesn't have a huge effect if you dont use amp distortion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

well my amp doesn't even have distortion so what waas the point in even putting an effects loop on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

steoob wrote:
    well my amp doesn't even have distortion so what waas the point in even putting an effects loop on it?

So you can use different effects pedals outside of the main signal! It doesn't bar you from using a distortion pedal.

You'll get a better sound from the effects loop without feeding pedal into pedal before the signal even reaches the amp.

Advertisement