Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rights of child in school

Options
  • 21-05-2015 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi guys where can I find information of the rights of the child in school. Having a problem with a teacher who humilated my child in the class room.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I'm not sure what you mean by rights, but I think you will need to make an appt to meet with the teacher to outline your concerns. Never mind "rights" or not, no child should be humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

I agree, making an appointment with the teacher is your best bet. In terms of rights, the school's Code of Behaviour will probably give you an outline of what steps a teacher should take if a child's behaviour is disruptive. In saying this I don't mean 'oh well maybe your child was bold so it's ok!' at all! Quite the opposite, the code of behaviour should outline that even IF bad behaviour was present, step one is eg. a verbal warning, step 2 a minor consequence, step 3 a larger consequence, step 4 sent to the principal, step 5 a call home, etc. In other words, it will show you that the child has the right to be treated with respect even if their behaviour was poor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It's important to note too that should you feel it is necessary to make an official complaint, you must follow the agreed procedure as outlined http://www.npc.ie/news-post.aspx?contentid=373
    (procedure is on the right of the page)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

I was recently witness to a situation in work where someone claimed afterwards she had been humiliated. I was there and the truth is it was embarrassing but didn't meet any criteria that would be considered humiliation. There was no malice involved. No sustained attack on her character.

Humiliation is a very strong word. If you are sure it correctly applies to this situation the teacher should be spoken to but it's also a very misused word.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭muirsheen

Thanks for the replies. Behaviour didn't come into the scenario. He was sitting down doing his work when teacher made a remark to him which left him deflated. Have spoken to teacher and principal but nothing has been followed through. After having awful degrading experiences in school I am adamant that this will not happen to my children. I also feel as its coming to end of school year this will be pushed along and left acknowledged .

thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

muirsheen wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. Behaviour didn't come into the scenario. He was sitting down doing his work when teacher made a remark to him which left him deflated. Have spoken to teacher and principal but nothing has been followed through. After having awful degrading experiences in school I am adamant that this will not happen to my children. I also feel as its coming to end of school year this will be pushed along and left acknowledged .
    Your next step would be to escalate to the Board of Management. It is unusual that a Board would not support a Principal, but it will at least shine a light on your issue.
    I was recently witness to a situation in work where someone claimed afterwards she had been humiliated. I was there and the truth is it was embarrassing but didn't meet any criteria that would be considered humiliation. There was no malice involved. No sustained attack on her character.
    What are the criteria that distinguish embarrassment and humiliation? Surely this is largely subjective - if she felt humiliated, then it was humiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I have never seen a situation like this where making a complaint made the situation better for the child. I know it's frustrating and unfair, but the classroom is the teacher's world and they dictate what happens within the room 90% of the time. From what I've seen in the past making your child stand out against the rest can only make things worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Aimeee

I have never seen a situation like this where making a complaint made the situation better for the child. I know it's frustrating and unfair, but the classroom is the teacher's world and they dictate what happens within the room 90% of the time. From what I've seen in the past making your child stand out against the rest can only make things worse.
    I hate to say this but I agree completely with the post above. It's practically the end of the school year. What action you take now will carry on to next September. However your child will most likely have completely forgotten about it and moved on. Seperate your issues from your child's. I say this as someone who was highly sensitive to certain issues that came up with my eldest a good few years ago. Hindsight has taught me that, for his sake, I would probably have been better off letting some things slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭parkerpen

muirsheen wrote: »

thanks guys

I read this thread from the start with interest and I am all in favour of addressing issues, in a calm and reasonable manner, IF I am sure they need to be addressed. I have to say however that when I read your comment about your own experiences in school it is very important that that is not the main motivation in being so 'adamant'.

Like a previous poster said, it is important that you don't let whatever issues you have retained from your past influence how you now behave with your own children. Unless there is some behaviour which is sustained, whatever may or may not have been said and whatever context it may have been said, the child will not be thinking of this in the future unless you continue to make an issue out of it.

I totally admire and understand your desire to protect your children but don't let your own past dictate how you do that. Best of luck.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭DGOBS

Have spoken to teacher and principal but nothing has been followed through.

What follow through was promised?

• Advertisement
Advertisement