Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows VPN Server Set-up Problems

Options
  • 21-11-2015 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I need help with setting up my Windows 10 VPN server. I can access the server from within the LAN but NOT from outside it.
    I have checked the following and all is in order:
    - The server has a static IP address
    - Port 1723 is forwarded to the server and I have confirmed the port is open
    - VPN and PPTP pass-through is enabled on my router
    - I can ping my IP address from outside the LAN
    - I have set up a new user with a new password on the server (and I have unsuccessfully tried with the Windows user names/passwords)
    I tried accessing with the Windows firewall turned off but had no luck. My router is a Thomson TWG870 from UPC.
    Any ideas on what I need to change to access the VPN server?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Go here

http://test-ipv6.com/

If it says you have ipv6, you're on a form of carrier grade NAT called DS-lite. Post in the virgin forum and ask for a actual IPV4 address.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vitony

Thanks for the suggestion. Already confirmed (and now double-checked) that I'm on IPV4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

On my own Mikrotik router I had to also allow the gre protocol
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generic_Routing_Encapsulation

My router doesn't have a specific GRE protocol section. When port forwarding for the PPTP server, I used the dropdown menu that specifically addresses PPTP and, from what I read, this would appear to address all the necessary protocols. I have no other way of addressing the GRE requirement that I'm aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Why are you using PPTP though....

• Advertisement

ED E - I am not aware of other protocols in use for the Windows VPN application. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

I've experienced major issues with VPN over UPC lines.
    Only way to fix it was to upgrade the home account to a business account and get a Cisco modem/router.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vitony wrote: »
    ED E - I am not aware of other protocols in use for the Windows VPN application. Any suggestions?

From wiki because I'm lazy:
    PPTP has been the subject of many security analyses and serious security vulnerabilities have been found in the protocol. The known vulnerabilities relate to the underlying PPP authentication protocols used, the design of the MPPE protocol as well as the integration between MPPE and PPP authentication for session key establishment.[2][3]

Use something else. W10 supports IPSEC which is a much better option.

Advertisement