Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 11 - Forlì - Imola *contains unmasked spoilers*

Options
  • 19-05-2015 10:33pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭

stage11.jpg

Preview here

Oddschecker: Matthews 7/1, Gilbert 10/1, Gerrans 12/1, Ulissi 12/1, Felline 14/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'm going to put a fiver down on Porte returning the favour and giving Simon Clarke a wheel-change tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Was there a Grand Prix at Imola?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Brian? wrote: »

Yep, would be very well known as a F1 course.

Whether it's a delusional instinct or not, I'm going to keep putting a few bob every now & then on Stefan Kung to win some kind of stage like this during the Giro.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Warning: random piece of useless info....

There is special tribute jersey for this stage because it is finishing in Imola. Imola last hosted a stage of the Giro d’Italia 23 years ago, and the peloton are returning to the iconic location of the Autodromo Ferrari.

2015-santini-giro-d-italia-stages-jersey-stage-11-forli-imola-autodromo-ferrari-re94275imola-side.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭neris

San marino grand prix where senna was killed (i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

The San Marino grand Prix was run there - Senna (RIP) died there in 1994.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Yep, would be very well known as a F1 course.

Not since 2006!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Off-topic I know, but the documentary-film about Senna is a great watch, even if you are not an F1/motorsport fan.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

letape wrote: »
    Not since 2006!

Well what I meant/said was that it's a well known track, for the wrong reasons possibly, but it's better known than say Sochi or Austin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

Senna...what an amasing man, amasing sports star and an amasing film

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Backed Felline and Matthews with 2 small long shots on Battaglin and Hansen.

I hope there's no controversy and we can all get along :D

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Backed Felline and Matthews with 2 small long shots on Battaglin and Hansen.

I hope there's no controversy and we can all get along :D

There maybe no controversy but that does not mean we can all get along :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

stage11.jpg

Preview here

Oddschecker: Matthews 7/1, Gilbert 10/1, Gerrans 12/1, Ulissi 12/1, Felline 14/1

So they do 4 laps of the same hill in Imola at the end, correct?

But only the 3rd lap climb has KoM points?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

Anyone can explain the penalty to Porte - why did he get it ?

omri wrote: »

Cos everyone hates him cos he's with Sky.

He punctures yesterday at 8KM from the end and needed a wheel change
    However rather than get one from a team mate he got a wheel from a fellow Australian Simon Clarke from another team OGE

This is against UCI rules so Richie as well as losing time he also got an extra penalty of 2 mins ...so he has dropped way down the leader board

Many think its fair as rules are rules
    Others believe not all rules are applied evenly by the UCI and the punishment is very harsh as it most likely scuppers his plans to win the Giro ...

MPFG wrote: »
    He punctures yesterday at 8KM from the end and needed a wheel change
    However rather than get one from a team mate he got a wheel from a fellow Australian Simon Clarke from another team OGE

This is against UCI rules so Richie as well as losing time he also got an extra penalty of 2 mins ...so he has dropped way down the leader board

Many think its fair as rules are rules
    Others believe not all rules are applied evenly by the UCI and the punishment is very harsh as it most likely scuppers his plans to win the Giro ...

Was it in Vuelta that contador was helped by I think by one of astana guys. Who then got water bottle from contadors car that was around. Was that "legal" I think it was Valverde that lost Vuelta on that flat stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Was it in Vuelta that contador was helped by I think by one of astana guys. Who then got water bottle from contadors car that was around. Was that "legal" I think it was Valverde that lost Vuelta on that flat stage.

The sharing of food is allowed. The helping on the climb is a grey area. The sharing of wheels is explicitly not allowed.

Yes ..Contador was helped by Tiralonga (from another team) in 2012 ...no wheels were exchanged so the purist rule minders would say it was not collusion but everyone watching knew Tiralonga was riding that day for Contador and pulling him on the flat

Purito lost the race that day and many go on to count this stage as one of the best ever in GT racing ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Break of 10 are 1'52" up the road with 56km left. BMC are chasing hard (assume they want Phil Gilbert to contest for a win today)

Betancur (again)
    Montaguti
    Pellizotti (again)
    Rosa (interesting)
    Rutkiewicz
    Intxausti (again)
    Ruben Fernandez
    Hesjedal (again)
    Zakarin
    Kruijswijk (again)

They are not being given much rope.

Not that I've anything against Porte & actually feel bad for him & it'd be a better race if he hadn't lost time yesterday, but in future I think in the interests of enjoying this race - as why bother watching if not enjoying it - I'll consider Porte, Sky & Clarke's cock-up as the funniest thing to have ever happened anyone in cycling, sport or any other walk of life. I think I've done enough arguing about how long it takes cyclists to get from A to B with time added on for penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Cmon Betancur :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There are pictures doing the rounds on Twitter of Bertie with his helmet off while riding. Did that happen today?

https://twitter.com/gpking12/status/601024234614296576

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

godtabh wrote: »
    There are pictures doing the rounds on Twitter of Bertie with his helmet off while riding. Did that happen today?

https://twitter.com/gpking12/status/601024234614296576

I saw it mentioned on another thread earlier today so I'm guessing it was yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Whistles been blown at Uran. UCI taking it up a notch

Cmon Betancur :D

Pastries await at the finish :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Nasty little fall for Uran

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

was looking at the betting in running earlier (around 2pm) and i'm nearly sure I saw zakarin at 250/1, alongside Adam Hansen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Kruijswijk did it too a couple of days ago whilst himself & Betancur were in the break together & whilst the cameras were directly on him.

Betancur was pulling on the front, Kruijswijk sat up, took off his helmet, took off his casquette & put the helmet back on, all whilst 6ft from the live camera feed

Advertisement