Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overweight cyclist

Options
  • 09-05-2015 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey guys,

This is my first post so im just gonna give it a bash.

I have recently invested 400 in a new voodoo mountain bike in order to loose weight a get fit again. I seem to be having a little bit of trouble with the saddle though, basically feels like im being violated. Are there any experienced cyclists out there who could possible help me by sending a luttle saddle knowledge my way.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey guys,

I have recently invested 400 in a new voodoo mountain bike in order to loose weight a get fit again. I seem to be having a little bit of trouble with the saddle though, basically feels like im being violated. Are there any experienced cyclists out there who could possible help me by sending a luttle saddle knowledge my way.

Thanks guys.

Well if you're anew cyclist just about any saddle is going to be sore for awhile.

That said my spare bike is a Voodoo Marasa from Halford and I've had to change the saddle on it. I just couldn't break either it or myself into it.

I've done a few reviews on the bike and just about everyone changes the saddle, you might have the same saddle I had on mine.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

How overweight??

I'm about 110kg and use a saddle about 6in wide in the widest part on my hybrid. A MTB saddle should be at least that wide

• Registered Users Posts: 10 heresjohnnyboy

Well if you're anew cyclist just about any saddle is going to be sore for awhile.

That said my spare bike is a Voodoo Marasa from Halford and I've had to change the saddle on it. I just couldn't break either it or myself into it.

I've done a few reviews on the bike and just about everyone changes the saddle, you might have the same saddle I had on mine.

I was thinkin it might be the saddle on the bike but ive had the same problem on my old trax bike.. The new bike is a voodoo bantu so im not sure is the saddle is the same, it probably is though. I might invest on a slightly more comfortable saddle just untill i get better and a little more use to it.. Only problem is im not sure on saddle differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Are you using padded shorts?

nc19 wrote: »
    How overweight??

I'm about 110kg and use a saddle about 6in wide in the widest part on my hybrid. A MTB saddle should be at least that wide

Im not sure excactly id say close to 30 stone but not extremely fat in a sense.. I have quite a large frame but still real heavy.

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Are you using padded shorts?

Unfortunately i couldn't find a pair that fit me but i might get lucky and find a pair in the next few days.

Unfortunately i couldn't find a pair that fit me but i might get lucky and find a pair in the next few days.

That will be the main thing which gives you more comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

You should invest in both padded shorts and also a gel saddle to put over the actual saddle , see here <- one example from Halfords. They would both assist also.

That will be the main thing which gives you more comfort.

I was thinkin they woyld help alot but they can be hard to find in a xxl+ size mate but thanks for the heads up on their importance. Ill defo look harder for a pair.

Thanks mate i didnt even think of gel saddles, i was only looking at those garden chair like saddles. Big help mate, cheers

• Advertisement

I was thinkin they woyld help alot but they can be hard to find in a xxl+ size mate but thanks for the heads up on their importance. Ill defo look harder for a pair.

You could try your luck here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mens/cycle/shorts/?ea=4294942864,4294942863,4294885816

You could try your luck here /quote]

Thanks mate ill defo check that out when i get a bit of free time later.. I honestly didn't think id get this much help from posting on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

Other people have already said it takes a little while to get used to it. I was very sore for about a week when I started commuting and then I just got used to it, although on longer cycles the discomfort came back.

You indicate you are overweight but not fat so perhaps this isn't an issue but for people with a big belly (ie: me) bib shorts are great. I put off buying these for a long time because they seemed so weird but when I finally got some they were so good I was annoyed I had waited so long. These are shorts or tights that basically have built in suspenders in the form of straps that go over your shoulders. These keep the whole thing from slipping down when you are cycling and they are long on the front so you don't have issues with the waist line cutting in to you.
    Here's an example of what I mean:-
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-vaeon-roubaix-padded-bib-tight/

Another point to think about is that the ultimate reason your arse is sore is that you are putting weight on in in a way you are not used to. There are three points of contact with the bike and the less weight the other two take the more your arse does. The first way that is relevant is that as your fitness increases you will pedal harder and your feet and legs will take more weight. The fitter you are the less discomfort you will be in, or at least it will be moved around to sore muscles instead of a sore arse. The next thing is that your hands should be taking some of the weight. If your riding position is very upright you may have hardly any weight on your hands. There's a bunch of ways to change this like raising your saddle, lowering your bars or moving your saddle back. If you go to Youtube and search for bike fit you will find a ton of videos.
    Here's a relatively random example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVu5Zrktm40&list=PLUdAMlZtaV108lEB-bfr5DVW9rXhtygDL&index=8&feature=iv&src_vid=BhZZnTgxrDM&annotation_id=annotation_2199970137

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hey guys,

Thanks guys.

Started out in a similar position. Became a regular cyclist so got used to it. I get the feeling some muscle or something in the ass just firms up or strengthens after a while. My guess would be that we don't really tend to use those muscles for much else other than cycling so they are just weak when we start cycling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Im not sure excactly id say close to 30 stone but not extremely fat in a sense.. I have quite a large frame but still real heavy.

Dude, unless you're an 8 foot tall bodybuilder then you are extremely fat in every sense.

Either you're vastly overestimating your weight, or you're massively underestimating the seriousness of the issue.

Diet should be what you should be focusing on right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Dude, unless you're an 8 foot tall bodybuilder then you are extremely fat in every sense.

Either you're vastly overestimating your weight, or you're massively underestimating the seriousness of the issue.

Diet should be what you should be focusing on right now.

I hate to say but 30 stone, assuming average height, say 6 foot, would be deemed obese Would agree that healthy eating and very gentle exercise at first should be the order of the day. Even a visit to the doctor for a check up before starting a exercise

Well done on getting in shape I hope it goes well for you. its hard at first but once you see gains it will give you more motivation and make you feel much better

Saddles generally need to get use to them. I am cycling longer that I can remember and if I cycle say on Monday after a very long Sunday cycle my ass would be sore for the first few miles until i get use to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Would endorse what others have said about bib shorts (not so sure about gel cover for a saddle - I think too much padding may be counterproductive- YMMV)
    But I suggest to break your rear end in to cycling gradually. It's easy to get enthusiastic about cycling and with adrenaline / feel good factor do too much / too many days in a row resulting in a saddle sore / boil on the arse which can keep you off the bike for a few weeks or cause you to chuck it altogether.
    Get kitted up, but also give your body time to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Exercise can be the difference between gaining and losing weight, but you can't out run (cycle) a bad diet.

Regarding saddles, just try a few different ones. Expensive doesn't mean more comfortable. A good bike shop may lend you one to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

Fair feckin play to you, positive action will have positive results. As for a saddle, try this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/selle-smp-trk-saddle/rp-prod23428 if it doesn't suit you crc will take it back no problem. Also check out FLAB cycle wear, specifically catering for the larger folks http://fatladattheback.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Check out online wiggle have a good range and also sports direct do larger sizes too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Hi Ho

A wise man once said that the saddle that suits you best is the one you are prepared to spend most time on.
    Basically, you have to get used to a saddle - it takes time. But your weight adds a big factor to the equation. That's a huge weight bouncing on your sit bones when you go over the normal bumps on the road that you hardly notice. Wide tires at low(ish) pressure will help.
    A sprung seat post might too, but you'd need to check that it isn't bottoming- out at your weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think a lot depends on the design of the saddle. I prefer the ones with a split on them, a bit of gel in them helps and even a bit wider for the inexperienced rider.

Also depends on the posture on the bike. I have my MTB set up so I'm leaning forward a lot. When I tried a similar saddle on the the fold up bike it doesn't work as well as I'm more upright on the folder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Fair play to you and good luck.

Cycling is a great way to lose weight. At 30 stone the impact involved in walking/jogging would hurt your shins to the point that it would be difficult to continue for very long, but on a bike you will be able to keep going. Just hold off trying to cycle up any mountains until you have gotten a bit of practice in and try to avoid "rewarding" yourself after a cycle with food, you will be hungry and you will need something to keep your blood sugar up but it is easy to overestimate the amount of calories you have burned.

The ass soreness hits everyone, heavy or light, it is just a matter of going through it. Your muscles there will need to strenghten to get used to bearing the weight. Make sure you have a wide saddle and cycling shorts. At 30 stone you will also need to be careful that you have sturdy wheels and a sturdy saddle, most bike components are designed with people who are much lighter in mind (for men 9-15 stone is probably typical for cyclists.)

You will also want to use chamois cream which will help prevent chafing, especially if you are wearing ordinary shorts/underwear.

Apart from the weight loss the activity involved will have other benefits too, both health wise and mood wise.

Taking the first step is the hardest, keep it up! Congratulations!

i should of mentioned in my first post in this tread that im not entirely overweight because of bad diet, its more from the fact i only eat one big meal a day and its usually late at night. and also i was bed ridden a few fears ago for a long time because of a back injury at work. which is why i chose a bike for low impact exorcise and mainly just jus get me out of the house for a little bit at a time..

all the information i have received has help immensely guys thanks a million and happy cycling :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A good quality chamois cream can help keep the nether regions free from saddle sores. It won't relieve the pain from getting used to sitting on a saddle but avoiding saddle sores is a plus. A nasty sore can keep you off the bike for a week or more.

Keep at it. Your ar$e will acclimatise to it.

Fair play. Irrespective of your weight, keeping fit can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

i should of mentioned in my first post in this tread that im not entirely overweight because of bad diet, its more from the fact i only eat one big meal a day and its usually late at night.

You should really try and rearrange this..eat less and often, and late at night should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

hi jonny .Im cycling about 5 years now(roadbike)and am still sore after my longer spins.im ok for 30k trips every 2-3 days but when i up the distance or frequency i get saddle sores.im about 17 stone.185cm and have spent a fortune on saddles.if your in the cork area i could let u try a few.one at a time.i have assos miele bibs.they help a lot.have used the chamois cream.it helps a bit but expensive.my next step is a bike fit but i have followed all the help vids on utube and tried just about all the tips out there.hope you have better luck.dont give up as the cycling itself is great and the exercise is beneficial.id suggest getting a once over with the doc though and take is easy.i have been off the bike a month due to travel and will be heading out this morning fod a nice flat easy spin.drop me a pm if u want to try a saddle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Aerotech designs in the US have a very good range of mens big/tall and ladies plus sizes cycling clothes. I've purchased bike shorts and tops from them and are happy with quality & price.

http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/big-and-tall-cycling-apparel.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I am 132 kg now I was 149kg 10 weeks ago. I got a second hand mtb I cycle 6 days a week now it's hard with a big arse but it does get a better. Like you I use to eat late at night but I was shocked to see the amount of food I use to eat. I always said I am just big framed but truth been told I was just blind that I was really overweight. It's hard going but change the eating habits and it works. Fair play for starting this and hopefully it works for you. I need to lose more weight but it takes time. I don't post here but just seen this so just said I would stick this up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

martyc5674 wrote: »
    You should really try and rearrange this..eat less and often, and late at night should be avoided.

The last time I looked into this, there was no evidence about 'late at night' having an impact. Certainly, eating regular meals at regular times is generally good, and avoids binge eating and snacking, but the 'late at night' thing was a bit of an old wives tale.

Fair play to the gents getting the weight down. Cycling is the only thing that keeps me at the lower end of the danger zone, instead of the top end.

Advertisement