Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Email Problem

Options
  • 09-11-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Anyone having trouble with sending or receiving their Eircom email?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Which are you having a problem with?
    Sending and receiving emails uses two completely different protocols. For receiving mail your email client connects directly to Eircom's pop 3 server. For sending you will need to use your ISP's mail server, did you change provider? All providers block the sending of mail except on their own mail server, it's their way of counteracting spam and protecting their issued IP's, avoiding blacklisting etc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Eircom had problems with their mail servers but it has now been resolved.

http://community.eircom.net/t5/Service-Updates-and/Eircom-email-issue/td-p/21608

@PogMoThoin: Your statement in incorrect. Most ISP's allow you to use any mail server. I have never come across an ISP I couldn't use another mail server.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    @PogMoThoin: Your statement in incorrect. Most ISP's allow you to use any mail server. I have never come across an ISP I couldn't use another mail server.

Nearly all ISPs block SMTP on port 25. Eircom, Vodafone, Smart, Digiweb and Upc do it. You need to use their outgoing SMTP server or use a workaround

• Registered Users Posts: 21,425 ✭✭✭✭Alun

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nearly all ISPs block SMTP on port 25. Eircom, Vodafone, Smart, Digiweb and Upc do it. You need to use their outgoing SMTP server or use a workaround
    You've got it the wrong way around. ISP's usually block access to their own SMTP servers for clients outside of their own network.

I can confirm that both eircom and UPC allow SMTP on port 25 to any SMTP server, as I currently have 4 POP3 accounts configured in Thunderbird, all with different SMTP servers on port 25. They all worked fine when I was with eircom, and they all work now that I've moved to UPC. The only problem I would have had with the transfer to UPC would be if I was using an eircom account, in which case I'd have had to use either UPC's SMTP server, or sign up for a 3rd party SMTP service like SMTP2GO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Yup, most ISPs have an smtp server intended only for their customers.

The reason is that if you have an open smtp server it gets abused by spammers all over the world and used as an "open relay". That typically results in all legitimate traffic from your network being blocked by other email servers.

Some smtp servers will also refuse email that has 3rd party reply addresses.

The best solution is an smtp server that requires authentication with a username and password as then you can use it from anywhere.

Most decent email platforms including Gmail and Google Apps & most hosting providers offer this service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Having issues here too since yesterday but only with one of my eircom accounts. The issue seems to be resolved now though.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

I'm having problems sending emails this evening using my @eircom.net address as well. I am using SKY as my ISP these days.

anyone else in the same boat? :mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

You need to configure your email client software to use the following for outgoing

Smtp: smtp.tools.sky.com, Port: 465

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

westtip wrote: »
    I'm having problems sending emails this evening using my @eircom.net address as well. I am using SKY as my ISP these days.

anyone else in the same boat? :mad::mad:

Necro a 3yr thread? Good job.

Sky sometimes enforce SMTP auth(nobody else bothers), call sky and have them guide you through using your MySky credentials to authenticate with their SMTP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

ED E wrote: »
    Necro a 3yr thread? Good job.

Sky sometimes enforce SMTP auth(nobody else bothers), call sky and have them guide you through using your MySky credentials to authenticate with their SMTP server.

I did they got it sorted, in fact they were very helpful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement