Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which garmin for maps??

Options
  • 22-05-2015 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Thinking about replacing my edge 305...the 500 really has nothing more to offer me so toying with the idea of one with maps.
    I often find myself being conservative with routes and ive made a few royal mistakes by taking the wrong turn/missing a turn etc. when trying a new route.
    Is there a garmin in particular that excels in this dept?

Marty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

Am in the same boat. Would use my phone for maps but the battery life is crap. At the mo leaning towards the 810.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

800, 810 or the 1000

They all use the same maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Where are you using in to cycle op? Wicklow Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Mostly county Limerick and Clare...
    How useable are the maps on them?... have they touch screen that you could quickly pinch to zoom out so you can get a picture that your heading in the right direction(like a phone)
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

martyc5674 wrote: »
    Mostly county Limerick and Clare...
    How useable are the maps on them?... have they touch screen that you could quickly pinch to zoom out so you can get a picture that your heading in the right direction(like a phone)
    Marty.

Sounds like you need the Garmin 1000. you can pinch and scroll on the maps, but the 800/810 screen is pretty small..its a bit fiddley!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭H.E. Pennypacker

The 810 maps are sufficient to show you that you're heading in the right direction. You're unlikely to get lost using it (in my experience at any rate). Size is a matter of personal preference but I think the 810 is quite big enough given that I only use it for navigation every couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

I found the screen to be hard to read on the 810,i went out one day for a spin and decided to wander in to fresh ground,it started to drizzle and I couldn't follow the map at all,i had to stop and pull out the phone and use that to get back on track,the 800/810 are great if you have a course pre loaded in to it and gves a beep when your turn approaches,nx one I will get will be the 1000 for the larger screen,

Advertisement