Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird cage alternitive!

Options
  • 05-02-2011 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

From what I have seen it costs €400 for a decent bird cage :eek:
    I was just thinking, would an x large dog crate (a LOT bigger than your average bird cage!) not be much better? It has bars and you could put a tray under it to collect all the dirt ect.
    So €400 for a bird cage or €94 for a much bigger option :p
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8706313/Trail/searchtext%3EPET.htm
    I just wanted to post this for people to see before getting a bird cage.
    Now, maybe there are things that make a bird cage better....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

While a dog crate might sound like a much better and cheaper option, Bird cages have specific bar widths on the cages so that the birds don't get their head or other body parts wedged or damaged i.e. budgie cages and parrot cages would often have different bar widths.

When purchasing a cage you should buy the biggest cage that you can afford and make sure the bird has daily free flying time. I have noticed much bigger cages for sale now in petshops compared to the days when you could only get a small or round cage with a swing.

I replace all the plastic perches with natural wooden branches which are available at zooplus.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

Knine wrote: »
    While a dog crate might sound like a much better and cheaper option, Bird cages have specific bar widths on the cages so that the birds don't get their head or other body parts wedged or damaged i.e. budgie cages and parrot cages would often have different bar widths.

When purchasing a cage you should buy the biggest cage that you can afford and make sure the bird has daily free flying time. I have noticed much bigger cages for sale now in petshops compared to the days when you could only get a small or round cage with a swing.

I replace all the plastic perches with natural wooden branches which are available at zooplus.

Good point, I never thought about that.:) I just hate seeing ting cages at petshops :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I know some of the cages are really small:mad: and birds are very intellegent. I hate to see them cooped up in tiny plastic cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

And birds are so social, petshops just sell them in a tiny cage with no other birds for company to clueless people and dont care :(

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

just after buying on done deal a large bird cage that in pets shops are selling for over €300 for €60. there is loads of cheap bird cages for sale at the moment

• Advertisement
Advertisement