Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q&D Guide to a Broadband4xxx

Options
  • 13-08-2003 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭

As requested, I have put together a "Quick and Dirty Guide" to setting up a Broadband4xxx website like the Broadband4Kinnegad one.

The Broadband4Kinnegad website uses Geeklog/Php/MySql. The following is a breakdown of the costs which are involved:
    • Domain registration for 1 year = €12 with Gandi
    • Hosting on server with above features available per year = (I am not charged for hosting so I don't know what would be a fair price but I found €96 (€8 p.m.) with http://www.eurofficial.com/ on the following page. There may be a cheaper one but remember you will need one that supports PHP/MySQL)
    • Cost of Software = Free - Geeklog is available from http://www.geeklog.net/ and is "fairly" straightforward to setup. Good install instructions are provided.
    • Time to configure web server/geeklog = 2-5+ hours depending on skill and experience level
    • Time to add content = 25-50+ hours - depending on the volume of content on your site.
    Total Cost = Based on above figures - €108 per annum
    Total Time = approx. 55+ hours

The figures for time above are my estimates of what it would have taken if I sat down at the PC and didn't stop until I finished. In reality I did it over the space of about 2 weeks.

If anyone does considers setting up a Broadband4... site, you are more than welcome to take any information from my site to put on yours. Pop me a mail and we can exchange links to each others sites.

I've probably forgotten something glaringly obvious as my brain is sore after a long days work, so let me know if I've missed anything or if you have any questions.

viking

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I'll register domain names for Irish BB4 sites at cost to me, i.e. €10. I'll also host the first five sites, including Geeklog installations, for free. After the first five I'll have a look at the traffic and come back to it.

To qualify, the site must be for an Irish location that doesn't already have DSL (or wireless in rural locations), and the domain name must begin in 'broadband4' and end in '.org'. Uploading of non-BB4 content or use of my mail server for non-BB4 purposes will result in instant deletion.

The conditions are non-negotiable. My servers, my rules. Oh, and "Cool Newbie" applicants will (unfortunately) be treated with scepticism.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"Data Protection: We respect your privacy at all times and will not pass on your details to any third parties other than Eircom."

Would suggest broadening this to "Data Protection: We respect your privacy at all times and will only pass you're details on to such parties that have made a firm commitment to bring broadband to the town".

Or some such. Otherwise you are simply pimping for Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Suggestion noted and website has been updated.

Thanks SkepticOne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Your welcome. I hope you will also take into considerations my suggestions to keep the thing technology neutral, i.e, don't assume DSL is the only option. Even if you only want DSL, the threat of comptition will make it more likely that your exchange will be upgraded. Hold on to the list until a provider has come forward with a specific date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Excellent guide.

Broadband 4 Kinnegad is easily the best demand aggregation site in the country.

As TheGills suggested (in the BB4K thread) watch out for those wireless licencees especially if you are within 15-20 Km of a large town and expand your horizons.

A Wireless mast in Kinnegad could do Rochfortbridge, Clonard and maybe even Edenderry simultaneously so do word the site get them onboard out to 15km and not just confine the demand aggregation to Kinnegad itself.

Once you have 100 signups, its time to check this list Here whichcontains a good starter list of those who may be applying for Wireless licences and could therefore beinterested in a chat.

Why not Email them and invite them to take part in a Community Tendering process hosted on the Broadband 4 Kinnegad wesbite. Eircom are welcome to tender just like all the rest.....

An idea maybe but why not :)

M

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9371640.html
    An on-line campaign to bring broadband Internet access to Kinnegad, County Westmeath, has been launched. The campaign, called Broadband 4 Kinnegad, invites Internet users to register their desire to bring broadband to the area at www.broadband4kinnegad.com. The site was set up by local Internet user Gareth Pelly. The launch of the campaign follows the news earlier this week that Digiweb was inviting people around the country to "vote for broadband" to be brought to their area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭niallb

Originally posted by dahamsta
    I'll also host the first five sites, including Geeklog installations, for free. After the first five I'll have a look at the traffic and come back to it.

adam

I'll host the next five, same conditions.

NiallB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Me too, and soon we'll have all the hosting we need for every town :)

.cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Dangger

These are great offers, thanks guys. We are going to need to get some co-ordination going here to get these sites set up. I'm willing to get some material together and publicise the effort.

Advertisement