Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a laptop

Options
  • 24-10-2012 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭

Hi, I am looking to buy a laptop for work and ocasional game or two. I'd prefer the screen size to be over 15.6" + a decent graphics card and have atleast 4 gb of RAM or more. I would also need decent processor. The price should range up to 800 euro, preferably less if possible. What options are there for this price range?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Regards,
    Darius.

Edit: no software needed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I'd prefer the screen size to be over 15.6" + a decent graphics card and have atleast 4 gb of RAM or more. I would also need decent processor. The price should range up to 800 euro, preferably less if possible. What options are there for this price range?

See if you can configure the Genesis IV to tick all the right boxes. The following will cost £660/€781 (plus delivery)

iR0rd.jpg

3 yrs warranty and OS installation disk included. If you don't need the software, order without Windows and save €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Darius.Tr

So I'we decided to go with that Genesis IV. Here are the specs, let me know if I made any mistakes:
    Chassis & Display
    Genesis IV: 15.6" Matte HD LED 16:9 Widescreen (1366x768)
    Processor (CPU)
    Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3630QM (2.40GHz) 6MB
    Memory (RAM)
    8GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 8GB)
    Graphics Card
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
    Memory - Hard Disk
    320GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD3200BEKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

£672 inc VAT and Delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Save £32 and select 2x4 GB Kingston RAM instead of 1x8 GB Samsung.

FYI, for £35 you'll get a 1920x1080 full HD display.

I am currently waiting for Genesis IV, I am just wondering if anyone has some experience as to how hot the laptop gets ? I am thinking of replacing the thermal paste with Arctic Cooling MX-4 and buy a cooling pad as I'd be running the laptop almost all the time.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Darius.

Edit: ogh one more question :) How much should I expect to pay for an external sound card for the 5.1 speaker? Thank again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭freestyla

May I ask why a laptop? for €700-800 you get top spec desktop in mATX size which is not bad to occasionally move around

freestyla wrote: »
    May I ask why a laptop? for €700-800 you get top spec desktop in mATX size which is not bad to occasionally move around
    I have dekstop with decent spec's aswell, but I needed a laptop to carry around to college/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭Simi

Darius.Tr wrote: »
    I am currently waiting for Genesis IV, I am just wondering if anyone has some experience as to how hot the laptop gets ? I am thinking of replacing the thermal paste with Arctic Cooling MX-4 and buy a cooling pad as I'd be running the laptop almost all the time.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Darius.

Edit: ogh one more question :) How much should I expect to pay for an external sound card for the 5.1 speaker? Thank again.

I have an optimus iv & I went for the Artic Cooling MX-4, dunno if it makes much of a difference tbh. Never seems to go about 76C under heavy load, so it might be worth the extra few bob?

I would however recommend swapping the scorpio black for an ssd. I got one with mine and it made the entire laptop vibrate, not to mention being ridculously loud!

I swapped it out for a 5400rpm drive for the time being until I save enough for a decent sized ssd.

Advertisement