Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you call him Santa, Santa Claus, or Santee? and what does it say about you?!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

We have officially reverted to Santy in my house :D My 4 yr old who doent really talk much has just started saying "Hello Santy" "See you w-ater Santy" So sweet, she has the sweetest voice in the world :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Rolli

When I was at school we weren't allowed say Santee/Santy. They told us it was too common..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rolli wrote: »
    When I was at school we weren't allowed say Santee/Santy. They told us it was too common..

Agreed, it sounds common as muck, but it seems to be quite widespread :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭blaze1

04019-3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

santa bertie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

the thing that drives me slightly demented is that my bf says its "santy's birthday" for Christmas. I'm not religious at all and would happily call Christmas what ever pagan name it had in the beginning but to make it out to be Santy's birthday is just so wrong to me. Hate the santy word too but I know when we have kids that's what they'll use so i'll just have to suck it up i think. Father Christmas around my dad...just wrote his santa claus gift card and signed it Father Christmas cos I know he'll appreciate that. Santa Claus is completely alien to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭SisterAnn

I have an inside line on this from the friendship I struck up with those vertically-challenged Lapp lads I met on the injection-moulding and printed circuit boards FÁS course earlier in the year. Sound boys. He doesn't care for pedants. A lot of people on this thread will have been crossed off the list. Shame to lose out with only 2 days remaining, but them's the rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I always thought that the English had Father Christmas to get away from the Catholicism of Saint Nicolas/Santa Claus but apparantly not:
    The English Father Christmas: A Separate Origin

The English Father Christmas seems to have had an entirely separate origin from Sinterklaas, being a personification of Christmas and a Yule-tide visitor - not a gift-giver - rather than a version of St Nicholas. The earliest reference to him comes from the mid-fifteenth century, when a Sir Christëmas appears in a carol, although most discussions start with Ben Johnson's early seventeenth-century old or Captaine Christmas. Whilst strenuous efforts were made by the puritans of the seventeenth century to do away with this character, they did not succeed. In the nineteenth century Father Christmas benefitted from the general Victorian revival of Christmas and can be found in, for example, Dickens' Christmas Carol. However, from the 1870s onwards Father Christmas became increasingly like the American Santa Claus, both in terms of his actions - he started giving gifts - and his appearance, with the result that two are nowadays virtually inter-changeable.

So Father Christmas, being associated with Yule, is a pagan character.

So if you want to separate (Christian) religion from Christmas, Father Christmas is your man!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Santy. Something you pick up from your parents

Santa just sounds too Americana... especially the way a lot say it; sand-a.

Father Christmas is a bit meh as well.
    Slanty Jaws or the big guy...a bit too much Tony Fenton for my liking.
    The poll is closed? Wha? Sure it's not even the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Santa. If we were talking about him as Gaelige, it was San Nicholas (Spelling almost definitely incorrect)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Wertz wrote: »
    Santy. Something you pick up from your parents

Your parents maybe, but certainly not mine. Its always been Santa Claus, or Santa (for short) with our family & friends. Our children & their friends also tend to say Santa, with a smattering of Father Christmas among the very posh ones :))

LordSutch wrote: »
    Your parents maybe, but certainly not mine. Its always been Santa Claus, or Santa (for short) with our family & friends. Our children & their friends also tend to say Santa, with a smattering of Father Christmas among the very posh ones :))

No no, that's what I meant...it's not as if as a kid you decide one way or the other; it's what your family uses. Inevitably that sticks with you and everyone else's term seems wrong somehow. There's probably something annoying about santy as a term too, but it's evocative for me, even now. If I ever have kids, it's what they'll probably be calling him.

I hope Santo brings some gear to me fla'.

Santo sounds like he'd be removing the gear not bringing it...
    :pac:

Wertz wrote: »
    Santo sounds like he'd be removing the gear not bringing it...
    :pac:

The bleeehedinn bollix. And to think I was goin' to leave out a little snort for Rudo an' all.

Advertisement