Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you call him Santa, Santa Claus, or Santee? and what does it say about you?!

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Always Santa in our house.

Like Chuck stone, I was crushed when I found out that Mr Claus was actually not real. I was 28 at the time and I felt that I wasn't ready for the truth just yet. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Santy. It's what all kids who weren't posh or Southsiders in Dublin called him.

Where I grew up posh mollycoddled kids called him Santy, normal ones - Santa.

There is a whole world outside of Dublin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

St. Nick

Alternatively, Richard Attenborough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Where I grew up posh mollycoddled kids called him Santy, normal ones - Santa.

I always thought it was the posh/normal kids who called him Santa, and the not so poss kids who called him Santy-Santee!

Ma, dat bleedin Santy is really rapid . . . .:D

LordSutch wrote: »
    I always thought it was the posh/normal kids who called him Santa, and the not so poss kids who called him Santy-Santee!

Ma, dat bleedin Santy is really rapid . . . .:D

I always associate "Santy" primarily with that affected accent people in the Midlands put on once they've decided they're too good for most other people.

Mummy, Mummy, I want a pony, tell santy to bring me a pony!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Always called him Santy as a child before my mam and dad told me he died of AIDS when I was 8. Fun while it lasted.

I always associate "Santy" primarily with that affected accent people in the Midlands put on once they've decided they're too good for most other people.

Mummy, Mummy, I want a pony, tell santy to bring me a pony!

No no no, you've got it all wrong :rolleyes:

Mummy mummy please, I want a pony, tell Santa to fetch me one for Christmas!

Ma, ma, ma, I want a bleedin pony now, tell dat auld bollix santy to bring me a pony or I'll burst ya ;)

No no no, you've got it all wrong :rolleyes:

Mummy mummy please, I want a pony, tell Santa to fetch me one for Christmas!

Ma, ma, ma, I want a bleedin pony now, tell dat auld bollix santy to bring me a pony or I'll burst ya ;)

But only Dubs speak like that! Dubs aren't everyone!

Have we discovered where the word Santee/Santy came from yet?

• Advertisement

Santy comes from Santa comes from Santa Claus comes from Sinterklaas comes from Saint Nikolaos?

Have we discovered where the word Santee/Santy came from yet?

We did. Did you read the thread?!

Hmm, so it was the Marks Brothers then :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

We did. Did you read the thread?!

Did we? I just had a quick glance through this thread and can't find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

As a kid I always called him Santy, as an adult I tell my 19 month old daughter about Santa Claus and she tells me about 'Awny Cause'.

It's difficult in some ways because I live in Engerland and my next door neighbours kids and most kids around refer to him as 'Father Christmas' which to my mind is just wrong! I much prefer the Irish 'Americanized' version :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Always Santy in my house, and i'm from a middle class family,
    anybody that bothers to correct people with ''Santa'', even though it's the correct term, are really just up their own arse and a complete ponce.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MisterEpicurus

For seemingly without reason, he was referred to as 'Gary Glitter' during my childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Santy. It's what all kids who weren't posh or Southsiders in Dublin called him.
    Also in Monaghan for some reason. My nice from Dundalk was over when he arrived in Monaghan and was disgusted when the host was introducing "Santy". "It's Santa not Santy" she said with a big puss on her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Santee

And he's from the NORTH POLE not from Lapland. Anyone who tells you different is a revisionist, lying sack of sh*t

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

I always said Santy, and that was in Cork. He lived near me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 457 ✭✭Scarlet42

In Belfast .. we had "Daddy Christmas" .. Hands up for Daddy Christmas!! .. then you got a tickle .. not a gun in your face (fingers crossed!)

• Advertisement

I always wince when I hear Santee, it just sounds so wrong for some reason!

Each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

hondasam wrote: »
    I never believed in santa, it's a stupid thing to believe in.

I can't imagine how sh!t that would have been growing up. Christmas and santa claus was the best thing about being a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Caraville

Always Santy.

Don't really ever recall hearing anyone in real life saying Santa, just on telly and in films.

I know technically it's correct to say Santa and not Santy, but it's a very Irish thing I would've thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Also in Monaghan for some reason. My nice from Dundalk was over when he arrived in Monaghan and was disgusted when the host was introducing "Santy". "It's Santa not Santy" she said with a big puss on her.
    Damm right! It's always been Santy here.

Grimebox wrote: »
    Did we? I just had a quick glance through this thread and can't find it

As Gaeilge!
    I was only slagging cos he was actually the OP :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

As Gaeilge!

I always thought it was Daidí na Nollaig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

The Christmas my eldest daughter was 2 she started saying what sounded like ho ho ho. I was saying aww look thats so sweet shes talking about Santa. My OH reckoned she was trying to say Liverpool but everytime anything christmas came on tv I said look S ho ho ho and she would repeat it.
    A few days later she changed it to ho ho hool and by Christmas she was saying Liverpool clearly but thought it meant Santa. :confused:Confused the crap out of her there didnt I :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

The Christmas my eldest daughter was 2 she started saying what sounded like ho ho ho. I was saying aww look thats so sweet shes talking about Santa. My OH reckoned she was trying to say Liverpool but everytime anything christmas came on tv I said look S ho ho ho and she would repeat it.
    A few days later she changed it to ho ho hool and by Christmas she was saying Liverpool clearly but thought it meant Santa. :confused:Confused the crap out of her there didnt I :o

Yep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Daidi na Nollaig.

feckin southsiders.
    livinsane wrote: »
    I spell it Santy, not Santee. In my letters like...

feckin northsiders.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Rahc

It's Santa or Santa Clause.
    I've always hated when people say Santy.. I thought it was a sign of disrespect! And when my English cousins called him Father Christmas....>:( Let's just say, it still drives the 7year old in me mad

• Advertisement

Grimebox wrote: »
    As Gaeilge!

I always thought it was Daidí na Nollaig

Could be, I dunno, I usually just believe everything I read on here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

I call him daddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Pedo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Sardonicat wrote: »
    See, I never understood all this knowing what you were getting malarky. As far as my lot were concerned, you waited til the big day to find out if you had been good enough to get anything never mind what we were going to get!

Same. My mum HATED the way kids went around saying "I'm getting X for Christmas, what are you getting?" so we were taught to answer with "I've asked for X" or "I hope I get X". We often asked for something but it was always a case of "This is what I'd like to get, but that doesn't mean I'll actually get it". We nearly always did get it though :P

We were also told if we weren't good enough all year, we'd get a bag of coal/bag of soot for Christmas instead of presents. My gran actually sent me a piece of coal one year (with another present, on the condition they made me open the coal first!) :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

Rahc wrote: »
    It's Santa or Santa Clause.
    I've always hated when people say Santy.. I thought it was a sign of disrespect! And when my English cousins called him Father Christmas....>:( Let's just say, it still drives the 7year old in me mad

Nope it's definitely Santy :D
    Why did you think it was a sign of disrespect?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Yeah Buddy

Santee!

Just imagine if 'Dublinese' ruled?

I saw mammy kissing santee claus. Santee claus is coming to town +many more Santee titles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Black Cow wrote: »
    I always assumed the lower class called him "Santy". At least that's my experience of it. It's usually accompanied by a strong Dublin accent.

The lower class, eh? Glad to see you don't have "notions of upperosity". . .

I don't think it's a class/place/money/posh/poor thing, me dad calls him Santy, me mom calls him Santa, neither are Dubliners, both are from Munster farming backgrounds. . . its just a matter of what you grew up hearing from your parents or friends. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

...as in that quaint Galwegianism " are you gettin' ties from Santy?"

I remember when I made the Great Discovery. My dad had the Christmas Shopping in the boot of the car. One of the boxes rattled suspiciously like a box of Lego, my favourite "ask" off Santy for many years. Shortly afterwards I realised who the REAL Santy was........and he didn't fly around in aerodynamically unfeasible animal powered aircraft or come from the North Pole etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Always been Santy around our way! Santee is a suburb of San Diego! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Sheesh, some people! I'm a cynical atheist with no time for the supernatural whatsoever, but I believe in Santa. Why? Evidence. Unlike Jeebus, Hubbard and Thor, Santa actually delivers - kids get toys. I got toys. My kids get toys. If not for Santa, would we have got those toys? No. I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

"That oul fat present giving fcucker" It says im a gentleman of the highest calibre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Imaginary Boy

I used to always call him Santa anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

We were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses so it didnt matter what we called him...... he never came to our house:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Omackeral wrote: »
    We were raised as Jehovah's Witnesses so it didnt matter what we called him...... he never came to our house:(
    Jehovah,Jehovah,Jehovah.http://youtu.be/ZNeq2Utm0nU

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »

I went to school with a guy who was a Jehova's witness and he wasn't allowed to celebrate his birthday :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

Sandy Claws. Oooohhh yeah!

Just heard Santo for the 1st time ever today :D

That's Henry Street for ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Say Santa myself, but I'd be completely indifferent to Santy. Wouldn't bother me one way or the other. Each to their own.

Fr. Christmas sounds somewhat wrong though. Overly formal, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Father Christmas around my Dad (seriously, could we get anymore English).

Santa everywhere else.

I hate Santee.

• Advertisement
Advertisement