Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mackerel Season

Options
  • 03-04-2011 4:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

The water temp is getting up. And I'm thinking of fresh grilled mackerel.
    Anyone living near the coast had a dabble yet, or is it wishful thinking yet.
    MB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

give it 2 months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

Does anyone know what the mackerel quota is for the trawlers, for this year. I know the 2010 quota was 65% of 2009, hopefully it's down again.

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Quota for Irish boats being down does not help stocks because our politicians handed over our seas to Brussels for entry into the eec back in the 70s. The Norweigan vessels catch most of our palegic fish and Spaniards catch most of our whitefish. Mackerel breed very quickly anyway compared to the herring etc. This year Europe entire quota is 570 thousand tonnes with Norway having 400 thousand of that share. There is a massive amount of small vessels under 40 ft or so going to the mackerel this summer with electronic jigger machines because the price of diesel has made towing a net unprofitable. The start of May usually brings the first of the mackerel into Donegal bay..

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Quota for Irish boats being down does not help stocks because our politicians handed over our seas to Brussels for entry into the eec back in the 70s. The Norweigan vessels catch most of our palegic fish and Spaniards catch most of our whitefish. Mackerel breed very quickly anyway compared to the herring etc. This year Europe entire quota is 570 thousand tonnes with Norway having 400 thousand of that share. There is a massive amount of small vessels under 40 ft or so going to the mackerel this summer with electronic jigger machines because the price of diesel has made towing a net unprofitable. The start of May usually brings the first of the mackerel into Donegal bay..

Thanks rushnaldo, that was very helpful, and I'm sure others will think so as well. As long as us fisherman or woman, can still catch a few for the freezer, we should be OK.

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭niall_b73

hi there, i have been keeping an eye on this subject now for a while as well. my freezer needs seriously stocking up !!

anyway there are reports of mackerel down at cork and clare allbeit scarce reports but they are slowly arriving.

so hopefully not to much longer now.

niall_b73

• Advertisement

niall_b73 wrote: »
    hi there, i have been keeping an eye on this subject now for a while as well. my freezer needs seriously stocking up !!

anyway there are reports of mackerel down at cork and clare allbeit scarce reports but they are slowly arriving.

so hopefully not to much longer now.

niall_b73

Hi, do you know if they were caught from the shore or a boat

MB

Mackyboy wrote: »
    Hi, do you know if they were caught from the shore or a boat

MB

from a boat....below is a quote from the "sea fishing reports ireland" website.

" Here we found numerous Pollack and small Coalfish. For the time that we had left, we decided to replicate some drifts across here and the fishing was consistent with Pollack coming up three & four at a time. The Pollack were not large (best about 5-6lb) and the Coalfish were small but they were all stuffed full of Sandeels which bodes very well for the months ahead.
    While mackerel were scare on Sunday last month in the middle we were catching our Mackerel for bait right inside the harbour of Castletownbere. And in good numbers too, it did coincide with the larger tank boats unloading their catches and pumping out their tanks. Whatever the cause, we weren't complaining.
    We are anticipating some very good general inshore fishing in the next couple of months as the water slowly warms up and the Mackerel arrive in numbers. We are expecting a great year for Cod and Haddock fishing in particular."

you can keep on top of all catches & read all the report here: http://fishinginireland.info/update/sea_angling.htm#pollacksea

also this is a quote from the "sea angling ireland" website..
    "I had a very short session of mack bashing last saturday in Clare. I caught 3 big ones on the cliff on my 3rd cast, but had to leave due to very strong and dangerous winds. But I could say that 3 Macks in less than 30 minutes is a good start. They were used as bait in the aftrenoon session.

I guess its too early to call but its a promising start.

Tight Lines..."

hope this helps, atb
    niall_b73

niall_b73 wrote: »
    from a boat....below is a quote from the "sea fishing reports ireland" website.

" Here we found numerous Pollack and small Coalfish. For the time that we had left, we decided to replicate some drifts across here and the fishing was consistent with Pollack coming up three & four at a time. The Pollack were not large (best about 5-6lb) and the Coalfish were small but they were all stuffed full of Sandeels which bodes very well for the months ahead.
    While mackerel were scare on Sunday last month in the middle we were catching our Mackerel for bait right inside the harbour of Castletownbere. And in good numbers too, it did coincide with the larger tank boats unloading their catches and pumping out their tanks. Whatever the cause, we weren't complaining.
    We are anticipating some very good general inshore fishing in the next couple of months as the water slowly warms up and the Mackerel arrive in numbers. We are expecting a great year for Cod and Haddock fishing in particular."

you can keep on top of all catches & read all the report here: http://fishinginireland.info/update/sea_angling.htm#pollacksea

also this is a quote from the "sea angling ireland" website..
    "I had a very short session of mack bashing last saturday in Clare. I caught 3 big ones on the cliff on my 3rd cast, but had to leave due to very strong and dangerous winds. But I could say that 3 Macks in less than 30 minutes is a good start. They were used as bait in the aftrenoon session.

I guess its too early to call but its a promising start.

Tight Lines..."

hope this helps, atb
    niall_b73

Yeah that does sound promising,
    Cheers Naill_b73

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

couple have been caught of dunlaoighaire pier

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mullen07

was in howth tonight, tide out - 5 medium sized caught from the pier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Donegal bay has some major plankton boom going on in this great weather. Its like something youd see in a movie. Mackerel breaking the surface everywhere mouths open feeding and shoals of pollock and coalie. Sky news were in Killybegs filming 20 baskin sharks attracted to it very early in April. Small boats with jiggers getting 20 boxes a day and shore anglers getting plenty for evening tea

rushnaldo wrote: »
    Donegal bay has some major plankton boom going on in this great weather. Its like something youd see in a movie. Mackerel breaking the surface everywhere mouths open feeding and shoals of pollock and coalie. Sky news were in Killybegs filming 20 baskin sharks attracted to it very early in April. Small boats with jiggers getting 20 boxes a day and shore anglers getting plenty for evening tea

true, i am near bundoran and the charter boats there and mullaghmore are all catching mackerel.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Video-Basking-Sharks-Warm-Weather-Brings-Early-Basking-Shark-Sightings-In-Donegal/Article/201104315976389?lid=ARTICLE_15976389_Video,BaskingSharks:WarmWeatherBringsEarlyBaskingSharkSightingsInDonegal&lpos=searchresults

niall_b73

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Anyone catching from the shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭fallowbuck

First mackeral this morn 6th/May, weather windy sea bit choppy, But this spot has produced mackeral even earlier the last few years, off the rocks mine head dungarvan co waterford. Two pollack also.......... fish pie for sunday dinner:D

There are mackerel being caught, in cork harbour.
    Checkout the irish sea fishing website for details

MB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

anyone know about the galway area would love a few kippers

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

Mackeral season!?!.. Ya'll get kippers in galway bay sea food.. Or mc donaghs.. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

Mackeral season!?!.. Ya'll get kippers in galway bay sea food.. Or mc donaghs.. :-)

eh: i think the fish are fresher coming straight out of the water :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭spose

Had plenty of tehm inside Cork harbour in the last couple of weeks. Unusually large too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Drew a blank at fenit last week but spoke to people further round the bay on the same day who had a bucketful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    eh: i think the fish are fresher coming straight out of the water :pac:
    :rolleyes:

Of course, but my point is this is a mackeral season thread, unless i'm wrong kippers are herring??? :confused:

Mackeral are showing in small numbers from the shore at Ballycastle, Mayo ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Would I be correct in saying that the mackerel season has been terrible for 2 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Would I be correct in saying that the mackerel season has been terrible for 2 years now.

Far from it caught 250 in mayo last year and just had to stop to many being caught......

Wow, thats good going.

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Mackerel have been abundant last few years, sometimes the shoals get broken up after a sustained period of bad weather.

Best way to fish for them is still a single spinner and a light spinning rod, great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭neilboard

Does anyone know if they`ve been caught from nemo`s pier in galway yet? Was very hit and miss last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Cdub

Know a few Galway lads and they haven't mentioned macks yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Cdub wrote: »
    Mackerel have been abundant last few years, sometimes the shoals get broken up after a sustained period of bad weather.

Best way to fish for them is still a single spinner and a light spinning rod, great fun.

You haven't had fun catching mackeral until you try a #4 8 foot fly rod with a slow sinking line. Just use 6-8 foot cast with a single fly. Best job are homemade lures made with size 2 hook wrapped in fluorescent wool with a couple of 2 inch silver streamers and finished off with a dab of loctite! Cheap,cheerful and GREAT craic:)

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

Longranger wrote: »
    You haven't had fun catching mackeral until you try a #4 8 foot fly rod with a slow sinking line. Just use 6-8 foot cast with a single fly. Best job are homemade lures made with size 2 hook wrapped in fluorescent wool with a couple of 2 inch silver streamers and finished off with a dab of loctite! Cheap,cheerful and GREAT craic:)
    me and 2 other lads did this in killary last year of a boat were getting 3 at a time on a cast with 3 feathers awful craic until a seal decided to take a mackeral and snap the fly rod!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 janeymacd

Any mackerel in and around Clogherhead yet? Thinking of doing a bit around 28th May.

Advertisement