Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Media's Christmas Wallowing in Emigration

• 23-12-2011 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

I've noticed that there seems to be a theme on tv whether it's in adverts, news reports or elsewhere. This is what seems like a nostalgic feeling about people who've had to leave and are coming home for christmas. I know it's nice for people to come home and their families to have them back for a little while, but the fact that it's is treated in a "just like the bad old days" way with a warm and fuzzy nostalgic feeling just seems farcical. It's almost as if the country has accepted its lot as a place that is resigned to not developing a society where people don't have to leave. And now we practically celebrate this in the media.

I find it tragic and very saddening that these people have had to leave in the first place. Nothing at all warm and fuzzy about it, or nostalgic. The people with authority in this country do nothing to develop indigenous industry or look at the long term future of the country. They don't have to because for some reason; birth, childhood, education and then emigration is something to aspire to, rather than being able to live your life in your own country with your family and friends.

I know it won't happen by next year or the year after, but I honestly can say that I never want to see all these ads and news reports about people coming home for christmas because their country has failed them ever again. It's nothing to be nostalgic about.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

reading. much. too. into. it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Pin_Cushion

Saila wrote: »
    reading. much. too. into. it

Thanks. Whoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Thanks. Whoring.

it was? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Saila wrote: »
    it was? :confused:

No. It wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Kevin Duffy

Thanks. Whoring.

Yeh, fúck sake saila, don't be coming in here saying things that people might want to acknowledge their agreement with or enjoyment of, regardless of whether you want them to or not! Listen, if you don't agree with the OP, you're a thanks whore, that's the rule, got it??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I've noticed that there seems to be a theme on tv whether it's in adverts, news reports or elsewhere. This is what seems like a nostalgic feeling about people who've had to leave and are coming home for christmas. I know it's nice for people to come home and their families to have them back for a little while, but the fact that it's is treated in a "just like the bad old days" way with a warm and fuzzy nostalgic feeling just seems farcical. It's almost as if the country has accepted its lot as a place that is resigned to not developing a society where people don't have to leave. And now we practically celebrate this in the media.

I find it tragic and very saddening that these people have had to leave in the first place. Nothing at all warm and fuzzy about it, or nostalgic. The people with authority in this country do nothing to develop indigenous industry or look at the long term future of the country. They don't have to because for some reason; birth, childhood, education and then emigration is something to aspire to, rather than being able to live your life in your own country with your family and friends.

I know it won't happen by next year or the year after, but I honestly can say that I never want to see all these ads and news reports about people coming home for christmas because their country has failed them ever again. It's nothing to be nostalgic about.

It is tragic & sad that it is happening on such a grand scale and where its all happiness for them all coming home its quite the reverse in the new year,But personelly I am glad that it is shown in the media as it brings home even more the terrible mess that this country is in,and for this country it has always exported its people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I like to look at photos of abandoned cottages and have a good weep to myself.

I love hanging around airports and turning up to funerals too.

It's the weeping; can't get enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I like to look at photos of abandoned cottages and have a good weep to myself.

I love hanging around airports and turning up to funerals too.

It's the weeping; can't get enough.
    Yum. Delicious tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I'm not sure it's wallowing in misery, not in every case.

There were still loads of people coming home from abroad during the boom years. Lots of people emigrate in good times as well as bad, and coming home's always been part of Christmas.

I'd imagine lots of people like seeing people arrive home: it can be a nice, positive image of families coming together.

I know the first (and only so far) time I flew home for Christmas it was a nice feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

I personally think the extreme emigration sadness is an Irish pathology. The Great and Good who celebrated immigration decry emigration, but both should be considered bad for the country losing people if either is. I live in England, I am home now, and I was home In early December, November and September - for the princely sun of about £40-£60 pounds each time, which is less than my daily train ticket. Moving to London from Dublin is the same deal as moving from Donegal to Dublin. And people return when things go well, as we have already seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

Didn't look like much of a tragedy on rte the other night, there was some bimbo home from Dubai who's probably married to some Arab oil baron, then a young lad who hasn't been able to get home for Xmas for a couple of years...but was travelling in Australia, New Zealand, Thailand, Vietnam....yeah these two would really bring a tear to your eye alright, such hardship.
    The only guy I felt a little sorry for was in his 40s with wife and kids here who was away working in Sweden all year. But could he really not get home from Sweden since last year? €50 on a 2 hour flight surely?
    Emigration can be really tough I know, but I think young Irish people nowadays hav a much more positive attitude to it than in the 80s, and they're going under different circumstances, head to Australia for a bit of Craic, Canada for fantastic career opportunities if you work hard etc. most going out with a degree/trade, good prospects. Not like the 80s, becoming illegal workers in the bars of New York, Boston etc.

Lots of cliches in this post I know but u get the gist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I don't understand peoples' moaning about emigration. Growing up I always thought it was normal that when people grew up and left home they left the country to start a new life somewhere else.

It's only in recent years that I realised most people prefer to stay in the same country most of their lives. I find it weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Yahew wrote: »
    I personally think the extreme emigration sadness is an Irish pathology. The Great and Good who celebrated immigration decry emigration, but both should be considered bad for the country losing people if either is. I live in England, I am home now, and I was home In early December, November and September - for the princely sun of about £40-£60 pounds each time, which is less than my daily train ticket. Moving to London from Dublin is the same deal as moving from Donegal to Dublin. And people return when things go well, as we have already seen.

You spend £60+ a day on train tickets? :confused: Impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

When I go to London to work, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

realies wrote: »
    It is tragic & sad that it is happening on such a grand scale and where its all happiness for them all coming home its quite the reverse in the new year, But personelly I am glad that it is shown in the media as it brings home even more the terrible mess that this country is in,and for this country it has always exported its people.

You're quite right, we have always exported our people since the 20s, Its a cyclical thing. Every thirty years or so there's a mass exodus due to negative economic issues, plus the fact that a very small country like this one on the edge of Europe just can never sustain a growing population, hence the regular hemmorrhaging of young people seeking work & a new life outside of this tiny bubble.

1920s, 50s, 80s, and again now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,107 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No government here ever has.

They all say openly that they're going to provide funding for job creation, but what they're really saying is :
    "We wish that those 400,000 would take the hint and fuck off somewhere else, they're costing us a mint".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The people with authority in this country do nothing to develop indigenous industry or look at the long term future of the country.

They want people to emigrate, it is a safety valve for those in power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The media often substitute the word Holiday with Emigration, I suppose being forced to Holiday does not have the same effect.

But when you take into consideration the amount of people leaving on a Working Holiday Visa to Canada & Australia, its not as if all these people are not coming back... 90% of them will be back in a year or so when the visa runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I find it tragic and very saddening that these people have had to leave in the first place.

nobody HAS to leave, they choose to

Advertisement