Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV/Media College Course help!

Options
  • 10-09-2014 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm looking for some advice.

I love the whole TV/Media scene but I'm unsure of what course to do. What I'm aiming for ultimately is a job similar to Laura Whitmore (of presenting MTV & ITV 2 Fame). I know you don't get a job like that straight out of college so I don't need a lecture on that. I don't mind working my way to the top, starting off even as a floor runner, unpaid internships etc..

I know Laura studied journalism at DCU (she told me) and then got her place on MTV through a competition they were running. Do you think that a journalism course would be the right route to go down to get into that industry or would I be better off going into the Media side of things?

I'm quite creative and my best subject in school is English. In general I wouldn't be a person to be deemed good with cameras and the sort. Basically I'm better at the theory side of things.

I have to admit I prefer TV but I also read around that a great way of getting into TV is through radio. Nick Grimshaw from BBC Radio 1 has a great slot with the breakfast show weekday mornings and I'd even like to be involved in something similar to that too. I'd like to be the person coming up with the ideas for the slots in the show or briefing the guests on what was happening. That would be interesting. (Sorry, I don't actually know the correct names for these jobs!)

I'm wondering which course I'd benefit from in the long run? I was thinking of Maynooth: Media Studies or DCU: Journalism because they seem to have the most positive outcomes and most recognised degrees or Tralee IT: TV, Radio and New Media because it basically has everything I mentioned above but I don’t want to end up dropping out and having zilch money to do another course for the next 5 years.

Any advice or information I can get would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Go to DCU, it'll, if nothing else, be a good place to make contacts and they have a radio station that broadcasts more than most colleges, so you should get plenty of chances to present.

While you're at it, work on presenting anywhere and everywhere to build experience/profile. It's going to require a lot of luck, so make sure you give yourself a good few chances to get lucky - present on community stations, college, do a podcast, do a youtube channel where you present something - not a vlog, get a few people (who you'll likely meet in college) to work on something professional with you and you can build a showreel.

You can do more focused presenting courses in somewhere like the park studio, but you'll learn more in college about the whole craft of media, so you can at least stay in the industry and meet people who can point you toward presenting.

And work at it - presenting seems to be one of those things people think is easy, but are terrible at. It's more than just talking - learn how to interview people, how to deliver to camera, how to keep a conversation going and how to end it. Anything you can do to help is worth the effort - even acting or vocal coaching is worth a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 BoyceLeaving15

This was really helpful! I've heard a lot about the park studios so i'll have a look into that too! Thanks a million :)

Advertisement