Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BMI Concern

Options
  • 09-05-2016 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hello good people! I would really like your input on my concern.

I have a BMI of 36. I'm 6'4 and played rugby for three seasons at provisional level. I am 19 years of age. At this point I am thinking of dropping out of the campaign even though I just got the great news I'm through to stage three. I have thought about loosing weight and I am in the process but I don't think that that will matter much as its getting slow now and I wont go down past 35 BMI I worked out at the time of the medical.

Its always been my dream and I have put work into everything to get this far both in school and voluntary. I can't imagine the shame of coming home trying to tell my family I'm just too fat to get in. Its truly a horrible position to be in for all of you fit people out there that happily wont understand.

I was thinking about calling the HQ but they are just going to say BMI 30 maximum.

So... what would you do if you were me?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

I have a BMI of 36. I'm 6'4 and played rugby for three seasons at provisional level. I am 19 years of age. At this point I am thinking of dropping out of the campaign even though I just got the great news I'm through to stage three. I have thought about loosing weight and I am in the process but I don't think that that will matter much as its getting slow now and I wont go down past 35 BMI I worked out at the time of the medical.

Its always been my dream and I have put work into everything to get this far both in school and voluntary. I can't imagine the shame of coming home trying to tell my family I'm just too fat to get in. Its truly a horrible position to be in for all of you fit people out there that happily wont understand.

I was thinking about calling the HQ but they are just going to say BMI 30 maximum.

I would-

-ring publicjobs/ HQ to clarify
    -keep loosing weight
    -do the interview
    -pass the interview
    -try do the fitness/ medical

If worst comes to worst, and if you haven't lost enough, then see if you can get a bit more time to lose the extra bit.

I don't know how strict they are with BMI or anything, but I've read before that people had the opportunity to return on a later occasion after losing weight and failing the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 docst

I think if your BMI is over 30 and you have an athletic build they will measure your body fat. Contact HQ for a definitive answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Is muscle mass taking into consideration for this? Or is just whatever your BMI is that's the result? A bit ridiculous that you could have someone who goes to the gym and keeps themselves fit but could find themselves obese according to the BMI scale!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Handsome Brute

VicMack wrote: »
    Is muscle mass taking into consideration for this? Or is just whatever your BMI is that's the result? A bit ridiculous that you could have someone who goes to the gym and keeps themselves fit but could find themselves obese according to the BMI scale!

I have had print outs measuring fat percentage which is sort of high but my muscle mass came out as very high too. I am also able to do the fitness test if that helps! To be honest the only person that people would know who I could in any way compare myself to would be good old John Hayes. Not saying I'm as strong as he was or as good at rugby but body wise I'm the same as him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 itsjustme85

If I was you I would speak to my GP about the fastest and safest way to reduce BMI. Don't give up if it's really what you want, where there's a will there's a way ☺. Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭VicMack

Good thing is we all sill have time to reduce it if necessary. Some simple tips are to do interval training ideally on treadmill or running outside. This will be good practise for the bleep test also. This is the best form of cardio and will burn fat the quickest. Also keep an eye on the diet, eat fresh food as much as possible and stay away from fast food and sugary foods/drinks. Drink plenty of water to keep hydrated and try to exercise 3-4 times a week minimum. Also simple things like walking instead of driving if the distance is reasonable enough!

Even though some of us are still awaiting an interview date, it's better to be proactive and get things moving now, plus you'll feel better about yourself which can only help us in our interviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gardagirl2015

any update on this, im in the same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RedmondHR

You have the advantage of time on your hand so just keep going and you will be in easily.
    All about diet, eat at a calorie deficit and you will lose weight.
    Don't get discouraged, the fact you played rugby you would have a bit of muscle on you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Collielover

People from 2013 campaign who were over were given 6 months to come back with BMI reduced, not at all certain that this is the process in this campaign but that is the precedent. They do also factor in your body build ie muscle, don't drop out for fear of being told no over BMI as I imagine once you are not morbidly obese or seriously overweight they will give you time to fix it and come back.

Go in with how you have reduced it so far and how you plan on reducing it further if it is still an issue, the nurses and doctors were sound last year and I doubt they are any different this year.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ganthy

Is there a minimum bMI? What if your skinny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

ganthy wrote: »
    Is there a minimum bMI? What if your skinny?

I can't imagine they have a 'too skinny' result. As long as you are healthy then you should be fine I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mango167

Have my medical coming up my bmi is 33.7 5ft 8 female atm but includes high percentage of muscle as I play high level of sport. Any one know is the bmi automatic fail or have I a chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

Mango167 wrote: »
    Have my medical coming up my bmi is 33.7 5ft 8 female atm but includes high percentage of muscle as I play high level of sport. Any one know is the bmi automatic fail or have I a chance?

Has to be below 30 to pass but below 35 for a deferral, now exceptions sport or not sorry to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Butter wrote:
    Has to be below 30 to pass but below 35 for a deferral, now exceptions sport or not sorry to say.

Just for my own knowledge, I've applied for the guards in this latest campaign in 2017, so if your bmi is 30 is that a pass or does it have to be under that. E.g 29.9 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Butter

vardy98 wrote: »
    Just for my own knowledge, I've applied for the guards in this latest campaign in 2017, so if your bmi is 30 is that a pass or does it have to be under that. E.g 29.9 etc.

To be honest fella one doctor might say your grand at even 30.2 and another might say you failed. Make sure you have it under to be safe. Even in the job they want the type of person who isn't going into situations borderline. Cover your back and make sure your safe. I had to loose between 6 and 7 stone to get my BMI to what it is now so I could join.

Advertisement