Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chain reaction - any good with warranties?

• 24-11-2014 2:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭

In the past they've swapped out a faulty rear light I purchased with no quibble - arrived faulty and notified them within a few days.

Got a shimano r501 rear wheel from them in March - used on the commuter. Cycling to work this morning, chain started slipping in 8th/9th gear - thought it'd slipped off the cassette. Turns out the threaded bit that received the cassette lock nut has sheared - so can't secure the cassette

Stuck in a warranty claim - would expect more than 6 months from a wheel! Says shimano give a 2 year warranty for wheels on the website

Waste of time or not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Turns out the threaded bit that received the cassette lock nut has sheared - so can't secure the cassette

They may say you have overtightened the lock nut, and probably will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Alek wrote: »
    They may say you have overtightened the lock nut, and probably will.

Fair enough, kind of expecting that but I'm always careful not to do this - I don't use a torque wrench but I tighten it just enough to lock. It's been on the bike since March, so will see how it pans out.

In this case it sounds like the freewheel defect to me - I always apply my hamfisted monkey death grip on the wrench when locking cassettes and nothing like this has ever happened...

Alek wrote: »
    In this case it sounds like the freewheel defect to me - I always apply my hamfisted monkey death grip on the wrench when locking cassettes and nothing like this has ever happened...

Yeah same here. Been doing it for years with no issues. Strange that it just failed so suddenly. Anyway let's see what they come back with - regular customer and all that so maybe a good will gesture. Or a PFO :)

It is kinda strange indeed, the locknut does not carry any load while pedalling... unless the freewheel freehub is considerably loose. Or the axle is broken, perhaps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭joxerjohn

Have had good experience with a warranty claim with CRC on a rear derailleur. It took a while but I was issued with a new one after about 3 weeks. Seems that they need to first assess the problem and then make a claim on the manufacturer so that all takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭WillyFXP

If the locknut wasn't cross threaded and it's the actual part of the freehub that has sheared then it's a no brainer, they will honor the warranty. CRC have excellent customer service, I've used the returns/warranty service a few times without issue.

WillyFXP wrote: »
    If the locknut wasn't cross threaded and it's the actual part of the freehub that has sheared then it's a no brainer, they will honor the warranty. CRC have excellent customer service, I've used the returns/warranty service a few times without issue.

In fairness they emailed me back requesting I send it on - bit awkward with a wheel - but let's see where it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Have had a great warranty experience with CRC. Took a few days.but sorted me out better than I expected.

Anyone any idea what sending a wheel via an post is going to cost?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭Jack Joll

Parcel: wheel shouldn't be any more than 1kg so I'm guessing about 6-7 greens, If your anywhere close to the north of Ireland you could use CollectPlus its free, but the additional cost of travel. CRC are always good with Warranties, I think they know cyclists generally don't wreck stuff unless you've done like 20,000km's but then the wheels owe ya nothing anyways.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They rebuilt a rim that cracked within a year on a mavic krysium elite rear wheel for me.

Advertisement