Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

women specific cycling issues: comfort, fit etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Excellent idea for a thread actually. Maybe even a sticky? Like the newby thread but for ladies. There are a number of thing I ran into as a lady 'proper cycling' beginner that I could only find male only answers to. Being in a club and having experienced cycling ladies to talk to alleviated most of the pressing issues!

Cycling clothes links would be great. I see great offers on shorts and stuff but 100% of these offers are for male. Ditto shorts recommendations.

Also maybe a couple of tips on newby and general cycling lady issues? If it wasn't for the women in my club I would have been lost. Things like gear, clothes, bike fit, saddles, saddle sores, bra recommendations etc. Maybe we could use this thread to gather a bit of info?

This forum have a great lady section. It's not mad busy but good for gear:
    http://www.lfgss.com/microcosms/542/

Also a place to link onto women specific events. There will be track ones coming up, and Orwell do a few too. There is a BMX one coming up shortly too I think? Corkagh Park and the Women's League too. This sticky could be a women's cycling notice board of tips, help and events?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

great idea! i fully support this.

i did tell her on fb though that theres no way im washing my castelli in hot water!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

I got an email from chainreaction cycling today for black Friday deals, and absolutely no women's gear in it!!! but yeah good idea for thread.

fits wrote: »
    I got an email from chainreaction cycling today for black Friday deals, and absolutely no women's gear in it!!! but yeah good idea for thread.

Hate that. I get so excited!

And there's no way I'd be putting lycra into hot water either! If you wash it soon after it comes off you you'll be grand. You can get sprays too that are disinfectant/antibacterial and ph balanced but once it's washed it's fine I think.

I'll get the ball rolling on gear. Here's something I wish I knew when I started. Men's size small jerseys do not fit or work! They slip up your hips to your waist which leaves a good wedge of back exposed to the elements and the poor unfortunates coming behind you. Does not matter how sexy the online deal is it's not worth it! (For my shape anyway)

And on the knee-boob bashing thing, the sports bra with the most flattening quality for me is the Berlei Run bra. I got one on sale in Debenham's for €38. Best bit of cycling gear I have! Doesn't stop the bashing but it flattens out the boobs nicely so not so much of them take a battering.

Mens cycling shorts. No. Just no. No amount of money off can justify the chafing. For me anyway. The chamois are different for a reason. And chamois butter is amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

I can recommend Rose bikes cycling gear for women. It's good quality, wears well and washes well. If possible try before you buy. I have short legs and I found that Assos gear and Bicycle Line seem to cater for tall slender gazelle-like women.

For all day cycling i.e. 12 hour+, no chamois cream matches Sudocream. Bring a small jar with you in a back pocket (one of the little jars you get in airline travel sets) and re-apply during breaks.

For boob holding, I've used a standard Nike dri-fit vest top with integrated bra for years. Giordana do a cycling version with proper pockets that could also be used on a really hot day on its own. Otherwise tit tape or plasters to help your modesty with respect to nipples.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As detailed in the links posted above, there are many causes of saddle sores.

This is my 2c and is not medical advice.

I'm male but I've a history of boils, bumps and spots that is probably down to a bacterial intolerance. I have suffered from some serious saddle sores that kept me off the bike for up to two weeks. I've taken a lot of professional medical advice over the years but the one thing I've learnt, if you are prone to sores despite fit, proper shorts and chamois cream is to shower before you get on the bike - get rid of the lingering bacteria before you get on the bike so you don't give it a place to breed rapidly. Using a wash like Hibiscrub can help immensely. It's available OTC from any decent pharmacy but do read the instructions.

Another point worth bearing in mind is the fact that most cycling gear is washed at 30*C which won't kill bacteria.

Don't sit around in your sweaty gear during or after a cycle for too long either.

Since I applied all of the above, I rarely, if ever, suffer from saddle sores.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

crosstownk wrote: »
    Another point worth bearing in mind is the fact that most cycling gear is washed at 30*C which won't kill bacteria.

I presume adding Dettol to the wash would help here. I sometimes add some to the fabric conditioner drawer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I presume adding Dettol to the wash would help here. I sometimes add some to the fabric conditioner drawer.

That sounds like a great idea! I'll give that a go.

Given that fabric conditioner is added during the rinse cycle :pac:, does your gear smell of Dettol when you take it out? Does it affect the clothing at all?

Just wondering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I presume adding Dettol to the wash would help here.

To kill bacteria I pre-soak my cycling clothes in 10L of water with a cap of least offensive smelling bleach I can find in the house, for 10-15 minutes.

Works wonders with smelly shoes too.

I do it every 3-4 washes and haven't noticed any fabric deterioration due to this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

For all day cycling i.e. 12 hour+, no chamois cream matches Sudocream. Bring a small jar with you in a back pocket (one of the little jars you get in airline travel sets) and re-apply

Do you use sudocream for the all cycling, y'know, the kind of distances us mere mortals do, like 80-100km?
    Think I'm going to give it a go, I've been paying €17 for a pot of assos creme. It's good, but if sudocream works too I'll swap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

crosstownk wrote: »
    As detailed in the links posted above, there are many causes of saddle sores.

This is my 2c and is not medical advice.

I'm male but I've a history of boils, bumps and spots that is probably down to a bacterial intolerance. I have suffered from some serious saddle sores that kept me off the bike for up to two weeks. I've taken a lot of professional medical advice over the years but the one thing I've learnt, if you are prone to sores despite fit, proper shorts and chamois cream is to shower before you get on the bike - get rid of the lingering bacteria before you get on the bike so you don't give it a place to breed rapidly. Using a wash like Hibiscrub can help immensely. It's available OTC from any decent pharmacy but do read the instructions.

Don't sit around in your sweaty gear during or after a cycle for too long either.

Since I applied all of the above, I rarely, if ever, suffer from saddle sores.

Saddle sores seem to be more of a male issue. Never had one and not sure if gynaecologists would recommend Hibiscrub for lady bits, some suggests not using soap at all.

On the bike 5/6 times a week, wash my clothes at 30 with gentle detergent, use chamois cream and have never had any issues other than saddle discomfort.

Yes, I use Sudocream for all cycling. It lasts better than the Assos chamois cream that my husband uses. I find the Assos cream soaks into the chamois and doesn't seem to help with any chafing. BTW anything with menthol in it does not agree with lady bits. I find it acts as an irritant on sensitive mucus membranes. Also, the menthol sensation of a cool breeze over your nethers is not the best during a winter ride!

Oooh the Sudocreme is a good tip I'll try that thanks NamelessPhil.

Saddle sore's for me were a hard lump that formed on the er, outer lady bits. Went away after 2 days. I know 3 other ladies that got the same thing, no broken skin or redness but just like a bruised lump type of thing. Weird. Anyway a day off the bike and a gentle one back on, with strategically placed frozen peas sorted it out for me!

Regular sports bra's don't flatten me enough for knee protection :( But the Run bra is amazing.

Alek bleach :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: No matter how weak the solution bleach eats the fibres of your gear.Throw a bit of dettol in if you have to, but I throw my gear into the washing machine when I get in the door so nothing gets to fester. (eew) Maybe the disinfecting is more of an issue for guys, there's more hanging about sweating down there, less so for us maybe?

Hibiscrub on lady bits would be a disaster. The PH balance is fairly delicate down there, it would be way too harsh!

Yes, I use Sudocream for all cycling. It lasts better than the Assos chamois cream BTW anything with menthol in it does not agree with lady bits. I find it acts as an irritant on sensitive mucus membranes.
    Agreed. Will give sudocream a go, thanks.

Alek bleach

Yep, I stand by it. Cheapest you can find, doesn't smell - maybe because I always select extra rinse option for the wash later. I don't wear padded shorts, but few things of my cycling gear (winter jacket and baselayers) developed a tendency to become smelly after a single ride - definitely a bacterial thing. Since I've started bleaching them gently (its really, really diluted!), the problem is gone.

Can't stand the smell of dettol for some reason, you can have my bottle if you want.

Hmm well if it works for you *takes bottle of dettol* :p

I use DriPak Liquid soap flakes. Doesn't smell and can be used for merino items as well. It washes well at 30C.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gadetra wrote: »
    And on the knee-boob bashing thing, the sports bra with the most flattening quality for me is the Berlei Run bra. I got one on sale in Debenham's for €38. Best bit of cycling gear I have! Doesn't stop the bashing but it flattens out the boobs nicely so not so much of them take a battering.

I have the Panache sports bra, Shock Absorber S4490 (the one that looks like a crop top) and N109 (D+ Max). Any of them are decent for cycling, the Shock Absorber ones make me look about as flat as an F/G cup will ever get.

Personally, I exclusively employ assos wash at 30 degrees for the entirety of my cycling and running apparel.
    I'll grant chamois butt'r superiority over assos creme,however.

• Advertisement

I have the Panache sports bra, Shock Absorber S4490 (the one that looks like a crop top) and N109 (D+ Max). Any of them are decent for cycling, the Shock Absorber ones make me look about as flat as an F/G cup will ever get.

I am a long time friend of the shock absorber! But the Run bra* is the ultimate for me. When I put it on for the first time I couldn't take a whole in-breath. That's how I knew it was 'The One'** ;) I found the S4490 a bit wobbly. Is the Panache one the one with the moulded cups? I didn't rate it's flattening abilities! Comfy, but moulded cups freak me out in a bra. The thing about crop top type ones is I find they tend to shove things into the armpit/sideways region which I don't like. The Run bra spreads them out flat across the chest which I find better for the knee boob situation in cycling.

*When I was in casualty after breaking the collarbone and things, the nurse taking off my jersey spotted the bra and went "Oh my god it's that bra. They're amazing. Ok we're not cutting this off". It was the closest I got to smiling that day!

**It has allowed normal breathing ever since just to be clear!

slap/dash wrote: »
    Personally, I exclusively employ assos wash at 30 degrees for the entirety of my cycling and running apparel.
    I'll grant chamois butt'r superiority over assos creme,however.

I love Chamois butt'r for her. Lasts around 6 hours or so even in hot weather. Not a fan of Sudocreme - found it too greasy, don't like the smell and it didn't last long. Hard to wash out of clothes too. You have to find what works for you.

Wool wash detergent for the clothes as I wear a lot of merino.

The Run bra is also my favourite.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

gadetra wrote: »
    I am a long time friend of the shock absorber! But the Run bra* is the ultimate for me. When I put it on for the first time I couldn't take a whole in-breath. That's how I knew it was 'The One'** ;) I found the S4490 a bit wobbly. Is the Panache one the one with the moulded cups? I didn't rate it's flattening abilities! Comfy, but moulded cups freak me out in a bra. The thing about crop top type ones is I find they tend to shove things into the armpit/sideways region which I don't like. The Run bra spreads them out flat across the chest which I find better for the knee boob situation in cycling.
    I'm too big up top for the Run bra unfortunately! It only goes to an F cup and I wear a 32G in Shock Absorber.

I tend to rate my comfort slightly above absolute flattening abilities generally (surprisingly enough), and I find the Panache one ridiculously comfortable. Ended up with the weirdest tan lines ever after London Triathlon after I forgot to use the racerback clip when I was wearing it under my trisuit though... :eek:

Where in Dublin are you all buying the Run bra from? Would need to try it before buying so hoping you're not buying it online only.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 harley mom

Tesco sell an antibacterial liquid wash for sports clothes, I use it for all our cycling gear and it seems to work well and at low temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 harley mom

Tesco sell an antibacterial liquid wash for sports clothes, I use it for all our cycling gear and it seems to work well and at low temperatures.

MB Lacey wrote: »
    Where in Dublin are you all buying the Run bra from? Would need to try it before buying so hoping you're not buying it online only.

Arnotts, BT, Runways have them.

MB Lacey wrote: »

It's in Debenhams, Arnotts and Brown Thomas. Cheapest in Debenhams with the most sizes.

Rainbow Kirby pity it only goes to an F. I'm a 30F, but was a 32H until this February. It was the first time in my life my boobs finally got smaller instead of constantly increasing, even if i lost weight! It was like a second Christmas! I can recommend track cycling for boob reduction! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

Must check that run bra out.

Ive never felt the need for chamois cream. Have had no problems to date in that regard.

• Advertisement

Tesco sell an antibacterial liquid wash for sports clothes

What brand is it exactly? I can't find anything like this in tesco online.

Advertisement