Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon bike sizing

Options
  • 23-11-2014 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Looking to get a Canyon endurance CF 9, but totally flumoxed by the sizing app,PPS thingy
    im 5-8.5" inseam 29.5in canyon say XS! def too small on other bikes Cannonade etc i can use a 54-medium. anyone got the same stats/ what size did u go for
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

devonp wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking to get a Canyon endurance CF 9, but totally flumoxed by the sizing app,PPS thingy
    im 5-8.5" inseam 29.5in canyon say XS! def too small on other bikes Cannonade etc i can use a 54-medium. anyone got the same stats/ what size did u go for
    cheers

For what it's worth, I'm 5'10" and rode a 54cm Trek Madone for about 2 years. It never felt spot-on. I sized up a Canyon for myself and it told me to go for a S (53, i believe) size frame. It fits a thousand times better than the Trek. The only thing i think MIGHT be off, and it's me being nit-picky, is that the stem could be a bit longer... but i'm not sure, yet :)

Canyon are pretty good with their suggestions. Best idea would be to try out someone else's Canyon, if possible. I got the Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 Pro and LOVE it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

Hi,I bought the cf9 a few weeks ago,the canyon widget put me as an xlarge but when i rang canyon uk they advised me to go with the large size instead,
    I took a chance on the xl as when i compared the tube measurements the xl was similar to my large defy,i had a trek madone 4.5 that was a size 58 but it felt too small and i was worried that the canyon large would be the same.
    I just got away with the xl size,the vcls 2 seatpost is only 4mm away from max insertion,the size large would have had a lot more seatpost showing and would have been a better fit as the canyons also seem to have longer stack,i replaced the 120mm stem with a 90mm and might reduce that to a 70mm yet.
    The bike itself is a looker,spec is very good for the price,its very stiff and quick off the mark,if i was you i would go with canyons advice and not the widget,they have to deal with all the bike sizing issues every day.
    Theres a thread on bikeradar about the endurace,its under road buying advice,,might be worth a look, on another note,the delivery times can be a bit slow,regards

Hi,I bought the cf9 a few weeks ago,the canyon widget put me as an xlarge but when i rang canyon uk they advised me to go with the large size instead,
    I took a chance on the xl as when i compared the tube measurements the xl was similar to my large defy,i had a trek madone 4.5 that was a size 58 but it felt too small and i was worried that the canyon large would be the same.
    I just got away with the xl size,the vcls 2 seatpost is only 4mm away from max insertion,the size large would have had a lot more seatpost showing and would have been a better fit as the canyons also seem to have longer stack,i replaced the 120mm stem with a 90mm and might reduce that to a 70mm yet.
    The bike itself is a looker,spec is very good for the price,its very stiff and quick off the mark,if i was you i would go with canyons advice and not the widget,they have to deal with all the bike sizing issues every day.
    Theres a thread on bikeradar about the endurace,its under road buying advice,,might be worth a look, on another note,the delivery times can be a bit slow,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

ok Canyon came back to me and advised a Medium (54). interesting that at 5-10 your S(53) fits well
    based on this i think i'm leaning towards a S too but prob could also use a M, and I believe the stems are lengthy

any other advice much appreciated
    cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

devonp wrote: »
    ok Canyon came back to me and advised a Medium (54). interesting that at 5-10 your S(53) fits well
    based on this i think i'm leaning towards a S too but prob could also use a M, and I believe the stems are lengthy

any other advice much appreciated
    cheers

Same measurements as yourself and I have the (2012) Roadlite 7 with a 100mm stem in size small. Its a perfect fit for a racing bike.

Do you have an existing bike ? If so, check the measurement of the top tube to the bars and to the headset, and compare against the Endurance medium geometry. You might need to specify a 90mm stem in a larger size.

The geometry is more relaxed on the Eundurance, which might be why Canyon are suggesting to go with a bigger size.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

I was looking at the Canyon Ultimate Al Slx.

I am 5'11" and cycle a Giant M/L bike, which seems fine to me.

I wear 32" inside leg jeans/trousers (I can't remember the correct measurement used for Canyon's online widget, so I have given my jeans measurement for comparison purposes).

The online calculator reckoned I should take the small frame, which seemed a bit small to me. I added one centimetre to my inseam measurement and the online widget then recommended a medium frame. So I must have been on the cusp of two different sizes.

I rang Canyon UK and gave the guy on the phone my measurements and said the calculator recommended a small frame. He said his measurements were the same as mine and he has a Canyon medium frame, which suits him. I went with his recommendation.

The bike has arrived, but I have not yet assembled it, so I can't tell you if he was right. :o

I was just giving my experience in case it was worth anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Yea I bought a cf9 last week, just waiting on delivery. Im 6.0 with 33 inside leg. The calculator recommended a size M(56) but the TT is only 549mm. I emailed canyon with my measurements and they said I should get the L(58) which I ordered. Moral of the story , send your measurements to canyon and ask first.
    Minterno, how long did delivery take? It says its available from stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

If you are looking at the Endurance with the VCLS 2.0 (Leaf spring) "inline" seat post I'll offer the following advice (Or if you are thinking of getting that seat post on any Canyon)

I hope I explain this OK...

Basically the VCLS 2.0, judging by its markings needs a minimum of 150mm seat post exposed/not in the seat tube (I'm sure those min/max lines are there for a reason?)

So if you measured from the center of the crank to the bottom of your seat rail, inline (thats how I measured it), you'd need to do some math with the Canyon figures and see how much on the VCLS 2.0 would be exposed.

I think some of us are just unfortunate to be in between two Canyon sizes.

I'm on an "S" and had to get a 110mm stem (versus 90mm) but with the new seat post it's 20mm over the Max line on the 2.0 seat post :( An XS would sort that out due to having a seat tube that's 35mm shorter than the S but then I think I'd need a longer stem.

I added/chopped off 10mm when I did the Canyon sizing and I still came out an S

My "size" if it helps.

1695mm Height
    Inseam 810mm (30 inch leg in jeans etc which is 762mm :/ )
    Torso 558mm
    Arms 668mm

I'm fairly "normally" proportioned/ratioed at 5' 7''

I'm ... eh... very anal about these things :(

Yea I bought a cf9 last week, just waiting on delivery. Im 6.0 with 33 inside leg. The calculator recommended a size M(56) but the TT is only 549mm. I emailed canyon with my measurements and they said I should get the L(58) which I ordered. Moral of the story , send your measurements to canyon and ask first.
    Hi.my bike was marked as in stock as well but delivery was put back 3 times so instead of a 2-3 week wait i think it was 9 weeks.on the plus side the price was reduced by 100euro while i was waiting.the orignal price was 1899e and canyon refunded me that reduction.hooe you get it quickly

• Advertisement

Hi.my bike was marked as in stock as well but delivery was put back 3 times so instead of a 2-3 week wait i think it was 9 weeks.on the plus side the price was reduced by 100euro while i was waiting.the orignal price was 1899e and canyon refunded me that reduction.hooe you get it quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭devonp

9 weeks!!!!
    so Santa wont be bringing mine if i order today then??
    thanks for all the advice and help with sizing
    devonp

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭D!armu!d

I'm 5'10 and got a 56 a few years ago. I think a 54 would have been better fit - I changed the stem to a 90mm to improve it.
    For anyone a bit off on size I have the 100mm stem up in adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

minterno wrote: »

Thanks, I got an email today to say my bike was sent for shipping so should have it in a few days. Thats one week from order to shipping and another few days to ship. Fingers crossed it'll take 10-12 days from date of order to arrive.

that's great.I got an email that my order was being assembled on the 18/9,a few hours later I got the bike has been transferred to our logistics partner ups and it arrive on the morning of the 23/9,i have checked my in box and my initial order went in on the 7/8/14 and it arrived on the 23/9/14 so it was actually under 7 weeks,aside of the wait I found canyon to be very good to deal with,they also refunded me the shipping costs over the delay and at the end of the day the bike was worth the wait,regards

• Registered Users Posts: 30 walaw

I was looking at the Canyon Ultimate Al Slx.

I am 5'11" and cycle a Giant M/L bike, which seems fine to me.

I wear 32" inside leg jeans/trousers (I can't remember the correct measurement used for Canyon's online widget, so I have given my jeans measurement for comparison purposes).

The online calculator reckoned I should take the small frame, which seemed a bit small to me. I added one centimetre to my inseam measurement and the online widget then recommended a medium frame. So I must have been on the cusp of two different sizes.

I rang Canyon UK and gave the guy on the phone my measurements and said the calculator recommended a small frame. He said his measurements were the same as mine and he has a Canyon medium frame, which suits him. I went with his recommendation.

The bike has arrived, but I have not yet assembled it, so I can't tell you if he was right. :o

I was just giving my experience in case it was worth anything.

Hi, can you tell did the medium size fit you ok
    I have the same measurements and like yourself the canyon website recommended a Small
    I currently have a Trek one series 56cm and it fits me fine
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ADW1

walaw wrote: »
    I have the same measurements and like yourself the canyon website recommended a Small
    Thanks

I was riding a cube 58 which is probably similar to trek 56 but recently purchased a Medium AL SLX and its a great fit. I'm 5'11" and wear 32" jeans if that helps. The AL SLX is a great bike and very comfortable for an Al frame.

Thanks

In all the time I have used the Canyon site it seems that your inseam measurement is the MAIN overriding factor.

So measure your saddle height from the centre of the crank to your saddle (at a point about 120mm from the back) What is your saddle height?/ about 715mm?

With a 32 inch inseam or 81.5 cm you probably would suit an S at the REAR end of the bike.

To match your current bike you would then need to get a longer stem to get the "56cm" feel.

You didn't mention which Canyon you were looking at and depending on the Canyon you need to do the math with the Seat tube length, that seems to be the important bit versus seat post stuff. (When you are inbetween sizes)

If your current bike is very comfortable then marking about 120mm from the back of your saddle and then measuring from that point to the centre of your handlebars should give you a good measurement to compare against the Canyon you are looking at.

I use a Canyon S but with a 120mm stem rather than the 90mm that is standard on it.

I'm 5'7 (170cm) with an 81cm inseam. I could actually get away with an XS too with a 120mm stem, and I'd have more seat post too.

For the record, Wheelbase wise the "size" of the bikes, between sizes length wise, is tiny.

I always assumed bikes were like matryoshka dolls in ratio terms but they aren't. The wheelbase difference between an S and M Ultimate CF SLX is 3mm!

In all the time I have used the Canyon site it seems that your inseam measurement is the MAIN overriding factor.

So measure your saddle height from the centre of the crank to your saddle (at a point about 120mm from the back) What is your saddle height?/ about 715mm?

With a 32 inch inseam or 81.5 cm you probably would suit an S at the REAR end of the bike.

To match your current bike you would then need to get a longer stem to get the "56cm" feel.

You didn't mention which Canyon you were looking at and depending on the Canyon you need to do the math with the Seat tube length, that seems to be the important bit versus seat post stuff. (When you are inbetween sizes)

If your current bike is very comfortable then marking about 120mm from the back of your saddle and then measuring from that point to the centre of your handlebars should give you a good measurement to compare against the Canyon you are looking at.

I use a Canyon S but with a 120mm stem rather than the 90mm that is standard on it.

I'm 5'7 (170cm) with an 81cm inseam. I could actually get away with an XS too with a 120mm stem, and I'd have more seat post too.

For the record, Wheelbase wise the "size" of the bikes, between sizes length wise, is tiny.

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply
    I am looking at the Canyon Endurace
    On my current bike from the centre of the cranks to the point on the saddle 120mm back is 725mm
    From the same point on the saddle to the centre of the handlebar is 690mm
    But I can't find comparable measurements for the canyon bike on their website
    My main concern is the saddle may not go low enough. It is the canyon S14 VCLS seat post and it looks like it may go as low as required
    Thanks again.....any more pointers would be appreciated

ADW1 wrote: »
    I was riding a cube 58 which is probably similar to trek 56 but recently purchased a Medium AL SLX and its a great fit. I'm 5'11" and wear 32" jeans if that helps. The AL SLX is a great bike and very comfortable for an Al frame.

Hi, thanks for then reply
    Yes, I am the same size as yourself
    I always considered the 56 cm Trek to be a medium/large so I was surprised to see canyon recommend a small
    Interesting that you found the Medium AL SLX a good fit........

• Advertisement

Hi, thanks for the detailed reply
    I am looking at the Canyon Endurace
    On my current bike from the centre of the cranks to the point on the saddle 120mm back is 725mm
    From the same point on the saddle to the centre of the handlebar is 690mm
    But I can't find comparable measurements for the canyon bike on their website
    My main concern is the saddle may not go low enough. It is the canyon S14 VCLS seat post and it looks like it may go as low as required
    Thanks again.....any more pointers would be appreciated

With that seat post, needing 200mm clearance (including a 50mm saddle or 150mm excluding saddle) You are looking at an S with a seat tube of 510mm.

The M has a seat tube of 545mm so with the S14 VCLS, it will be buried into the the bike about 20mm above the Minimum insertion line, which is not good. I am sure that line is there for a reason!

It might be OK but you are probably losing all the useful properties of said seat post.

I hope that makes sense.

You could swap it for another seat post with a new buy though.

But it is a savage seat post :) Super comfortable!

With that seat post, needing 200mm clearance (including a 50mm saddle or 150mm excluding saddle) You are looking at an S with a seat tube of 510mm.

The M has a seat tube of 545mm so with the S14 VCLS, it will be buried into the the bike about 20mm above the Minimum insertion line, which is not good. I am sure that line is there for a reason!

It might be OK but you are probably losing all the useful properties of said seat post.

I hope that makes sense.

You could swap it for another seat post with a new buy though.

But it is a savage seat post :) Super comfortable!

That makes perfect sense!
    The info about how high the seat post has to be was what I was missing
    I am still a bit iffy about what to go for but I have all the information I need now
    Thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

What's the current wait time for one these days? Still in the months?

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    What's the current wait time for one these days? Still in the months?

Early May for the endurace 8.0

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Not sure if it's of any help to you as I haven't actually got my bike yet. But I've just ordered a Canyon, fingers crossed I'll have it in May.

I'm 5' 10" and 85cm inseam (I'd wear 32" in jeans), did you measure your inseam as per the canyon website? Canyon sized me as a medium, indeed I had to either add or subtract 2cm from leg measurements to get it to recommend either a small or large frame so I was right in the middle for medium sizing. Unknown Soldier kindly let me try his bike today and the small would definitely be too small for me although still very ridable, just a little cramped up. So it would seem that medium for my height/inseam is correct all things being equal (his model has slightly different geometry to mine), your inseam seems shorter so S sounds right for you. My current bike has a bottom bracket to mid saddle measurement of 740mm, my current cranks are also 175mm versus 172.5 on the new bike..

Advertisement