Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Malin to Mizen

Options
  • 17-11-2011 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi guys myself and a small group of friends are doing this next spring but hope to complete it in two days. We obviously want to travel the shortest route which is 555k apparently but cannot find out what the actual route is. I have tried the various mapping tools and the shortest route I can map is 630k.

Has anyone a link to the 555K route please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭barrmur

Not sure about the route but at 555km in 2 days, fair dues. Not an easy spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi ya. A group of us cycles this in just under 19 hrs a couple of years ago.

Two things you may want to consider.

First, the prevailing wind in Ireland is coming from the south-west, so you might want to consider Mizen to Malin instead.

Second, our route was just under 590km. The reason for the slightly longer route was to avoid some of the hills in Cork - they decided that it would be quick to go the longer way than the shorter route over the hills.

Apologies, but I don't have the route, I was just following the guy in front!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Hi ya. A group of us cycles this in just under 19 hrs a couple of years ago.

Two things you may want to consider.

First, the prevailing wind in Ireland is coming from the south-west, so you might want to consider Mizen to Malin instead.

Second, our route was just under 590km. The reason for the slightly longer route was to avoid some of the hills in Cork - they decided that it would be quick to go the longer way than the shorter route over the hills.

Apologies, but I don't have the route, I was just following the guy in front!
    Signal
    I may be right in thinking that Toblerone was riding with a bunch of Western lakes CCers.
    I'll ask about the route and get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Esroh wrote: »
    Signal
    I may be right in thinking that Toblerone was riding with a bunch of Western lakes CCers.
    I'll ask about the route and get back to you

Nice one Esroh, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭geros29

Resurrecting old post here but we doin malin to mizen 2day next summer, did that 555km route ever surface? How did original poster get on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Hi guys myself and a small group of friends are doing this next spring but hope to complete it in two days. We obviously want to travel the shortest route which is 555k apparently but cannot find out what the actual route is. I have tried the various mapping tools and the shortest route I can map is 630k.

Has anyone a link to the 555K route please?

We did it more or less as the crow flies a couple of years ago but even that was over the 600 k mark . . 555 never heard of that one . .

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    We did it more or less as the crow flies a couple of years ago but even that was over the 600 k mark . . 555 never heard of that one . .

Ya it's down through the Midlands but not sure of exact route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

geros29 wrote: »
    Ya it's down through the Midlands but not sure of exact route.

Jez would mind hoping in on that one if it goes ahead . .

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Jez would mind hoping in on that one if it goes ahead . .

May Bank holiday 15.think it's a club thing but jump away on if ya like!!

Advertisement