Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any way to improve this flooring job I did?

• 07-09-2013 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

I got the boards from Woodies and they slot in together nicely, but it turns out that the insulation material (glass wool?) is so thick that the boards couldn't touch the wood underneath. So it's not solid at all now.

Do people normally change the insulation to something else when putting flooring down? Pic attached.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

You will have to take up the flooring you put down. Won't take long as it looks like they were just trowing there.

Next step take up fibre glass and put it back down between the joists. I cannot tell from picture but it looks to be put on top of joists. Maybe I'm wrong but if it was just put on top of joists and not cut to size you will have to cut the fibre glass to fit between joists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

You will have to take up the flooring you put down. Won't take long as it looks like they were just trowing there.

That's the best one I've:D:D:D:D:D:D seen in a wile

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Next step take up fibre glass and put it back down between the joists. I cannot tell from picture but it looks to be put on top of joists. Maybe I'm wrong but if it was just put on top of joists and not cut to size you will have to cut the fibre glass to fit between joists.

Thanks wotzgoingon, Ill see if I can adjust it so that they're exposed... Although the thickness/depth it seems to exceed that of the joists anyway so maybe the fibreglass is a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 63 ✭✭kmepll

From the direction of the trusses it has a top up layer of insulation laid ,I've seen plastic supports in B&Q for the job. http://www.diy.com/nav/build/insulation/loft-insulation/Diall-Loft-Storage-Stilts-12-Pack-11837507

kmepll, bingo! Thanks so much, that'll do the trick very nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭cheif kaiser

Buy a few lengths of 2x2 and screw these down to your joist running in the opposite direction, then lay your flooring on top of these.

270796.JPG

270797.JPG

Buy a few lengths of 2x2 and screw these down to your joist running in the opposite direction, then lay your flooring on top of these.

270796.JPG

270797.JPG
    cheif kaiser, I actually can't get the 'okay' for that from the landlady which is why I went for the panels that click in together. Otherwise, nice suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭kilclon

You probably have 150mm between the joists and 150mm on top laid perpendicular? I would take up the top layer and replace with 100mm xps (extruded polystyrene) which is very solid and lay some chipboard on top of this. Alternatively you can buy xps with chipboard pre attached which slots easily together http://www.uvalue.ie/products/thermawalk/

Thanks kilcion. The property is a rental so while I was happy to spend EUR 30 on the boards I'd imagine re-insulating would put the costs into the hundreds. She probably wouldn't let me do that anyway since she said no to my idea of putting boards down until she found out I could take them away and leave the attic as I found it if I move out. But it's good to know as I'll probably want this if I ever buy a house.

Advertisement