Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Props. Anyone here used? Can it be Hired?

Options
  • 06-09-2013 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭

Hiya Folks,
    In the middle of sorting out some renovations around the house and I am contemplating a double door sized knock through from sitting room into kitchen.
    I will of course have the necessary rsj/lintel specced and the job supervised and signed off by an engineer.
    But, as I have an Oak floor on one side of the propsed knock through and ideally I'd like to keep it pristine I was looking for a way to minimise the number of Arcow props I'll need and I came across this
    http://www.diversityproducts.co.uk/no-more-props-temporary-lintel-vs-acrows.html
    So I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience of this product?
    Or knows if they are available to hire in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

Interesting looking product but probably prohibitively expensive for a one-off use; why not protect the existing floor with DPM, ply and planking before using acrows (oak flooring is pretty dense and should resist moderate loading especially if distributed by planks). Once thorough and sensible precautions are put in place I'm sure your floor can be protected, it's been done before no doubt!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Interesting looking product but probably prohibitively expensive for a one-off use; why not protect the existing floor with DPM, ply and planking before using acrows (oak flooring is pretty dense and should resist moderate loading especially if distributed by planks). Once thorough and sensible precautions are put in place I'm sure your floor can be protected, it's been done before no doubt!
    +1

Small roll of DPM or builders plastic sheeting and .
    Even a 4 x 3 meter blue tarpaulin sheet in Aldi for 8 euro will do the job nicely.
    Then lay down a sheet or 2 of 8 x 4 12mm osb board to protect the floor.

Then the accro props can be installed and a scaffold board or 2 above for holding up/supporting the existing wall where its to be cut.

Job done.:)

Advertisement