Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dodgy NCT cert

• 26-11-2014 2:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

OK. So, my BIL sold his car less than 24 hours ago. He got it as a mini project and intended to drive it when it got sorted, but after he fixed it, he gave up his job to focus on his college studies and so decided to sell the car, for under 1k, because it had no NCT, which expired a few months ago.

The car is up for sale for twice what my BIL sold it for and it magicly has an NCT. Obviously this cannot be real. The advertised expiry date is wrong from the anniversary date by 3 months too. It is not just a box ticking error, because the seller has it written in the ad. I contacted him asking when the car went through the nct and he said the last owner put it through. Not true of course. The car was also in my name up until it was sold. My BIL planned to take legal ownership when he was going to start using the car.

It has been sitting in his garden for several months, unused, but regularly started and maintained. The seller claims the car has been a daily driver :rolleyes:

I feel pretty annoyed about this. My brother got scammed with a fake nct twice. The first time, it was spotted after he bought a punto and it broke down on the way home. The disc was bad. The second time was from a friend of a co-worker who "knew someone at the nct centre" who charged a bit extra for "a real test"....naive, i know. That is still being sorted.

What can be done about this. I can see fraud. I want to stop it. This guy seems to be a serial dealer and must be well into the nct scam, so i want to do something. Would the Gardai even bother if I reported this and gave the guys contact details?

The car is a great car, but that's not the point. It's a scummy thing to do and someone is going to get burnt.

Edit: please see post number 4 before commenting.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Inform Gaurds in person preferably
    Post link to the ad here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Inform the guards and try to make people aware of it if you can. It'll still most likely just get sold on to some poor unsuspecting person anyway. Guy on earlier who only found out about fake NCT when he got a letter for a retest which had a different date. Don't hold any hope of guards actually bothering tho which is why these people still do it.

Father traded a car into a main dealer and magically it was on donedeal the following week being sold as a private sale with pics of a housing estate green, but magically missing an awful lot of mileage. Pic of odometer as well stating the mileage in the ad, but magically about 135k less than what was actually on the car. Guards didn't seem too bothered by it when it was reported and done deal didn't take it down of course, it was sold on to some poor sod tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

The fella has about a dozen cars advertised. To be fair, the other ones are spot on with the nct info, either just out, or almost out. The car my BIL sold is the only one that says the nct is until next year, but it expired several moths ago. Maybe i should push on the nct and make sure it is nit just a stupid mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Link to the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Name and shame, if possible imo.

Link the ad, let as many people know as possible. Inform the Guards.

• Advertisement

No photos up just yet. i will hold off naming until I know a bit more. It won't be selling too soon at the advertised price.

Ok,

Definitely taking the mick.

Do me favour and don't post on the ad about the nct being fake. I'm going to get details and pass them onto AGS. Looks like revenue need a call too by the looks of it.

Edit: removed link. Posts below show it has been checked and nct was due last march. Removed to prevent anyone from posting on the ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭NotCominBack

I don't see a problem, can you see the nct disk from the pics?

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Advert gone now.

Edit: Still there. Temporary glitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

MarkR wrote: »
    Advert gone now.

Still works for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Next NCT Due By: Mar 05 2014 from the NCT webiste

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

From the NCT website!

Next NCT Due By: Mar 05 2014

https://ncts.ie/booking_app/Bookings/ncTReminder.aspx?language=english

Thats where i confirmed it. The guy only bought the car yesterday and claims he knows it very well. Joke! I personally worked on that car, servicing it and refurbing the alloys among other things. It is a great car and would pass an nct more than likely as she is, but there is no valid nct on it. The guy is a total bull****ter.....screen shot of nct disc :pac:

So what's all the drama for? Revenue, guards, etc. He wouldn't be the first car salesman to get out a potential buyer and then say, oh sry no nct, but you can have a few quid off

Complete overreaction IMO - op has too much time on their hands

So what's all the drama for? Revenue, guards, etc. He wouldn't be the first car salesman to get out a potential buyer and then say, oh sry no nct, but you can have a few quid off

Must take serious practice for you to respond like such an arrogant numpty. Read the op again if you don't see why there is "drama". Maybe do what your username says and dontcomeback.

The seller also admitted to having a driving ban, TWICE and current, so are you happy for the likes of him to be driving around our roads? He has no license and is now selling a car he claims has an nct, which does not. I wouldn't have sold him the car personally, but it was in my name, so I have every reason to have time on my hands investigating this. I am also expecting to have an unpaid toll come through the door, so would like to know where to tell eflow to go.

Ah shure, yer man is just committin' a bit a fraud. Pat him on the back and if he is caught, ye'll get a few yoyos off d price :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,568 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I dont know? Why dont you ask the OP :confused:

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

goz83 wrote: »
    Must take serious practice for you to respond like such an arrogant numpty. Read the op again if you don't see why there is "drama". Maybe do what your username says and dontcomeback.

The seller also admitted to having a driving ban, TWICE and current, so are you happy for the likes of him to be driving around our roads? He has no license and is now selling a car he claims has an nct, which does not. I wouldn't have sold him the car personally, but it was in my name, so I have every reason to have time on my hands investigating this. I am also expecting to have an unpaid toll come through the door, so would like to know where to tell eflow to go.

Ah shure, yer man is just committin' a bit a fraud. Pat him on the back and if he is caught, ye'll get a few yoyos off d price :rolleyes:

Now the seller is banned from driving? Where did that come out of?

MarkR wrote: »
    Now the seller is banned from driving? Where did that come out of?

apparently, the guy mentioned it randomly to my BIL when talking about insurance. And I just found out that the car was signed over to his mates name :rolleyes:

Oh the plot thickens as my hair thins :P

Seriously, what would you guys do in this situation?

The ad is for a car in ballyfermot, where he told my BIL he is from, but he gave an address by PM to me in chapelizod.

He says he has owned the car for 3 weeks, but only bought it yesterday. Oddly, the registration plate has been changed. The numbers are still the same, but the plate is changed from a legal plate, to a fancy font plate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

apparently, the guy mentioned it randomly to my BIL when talking about insurance. And I just found out that the car was signed over to his mates name :rolleyes:

Oh the plot thickens as my hair thins :P

Seriously, what would you guys do in this situation?

The ad is for a car in ballyfermot, where he told my BIL he is from, but he gave an address by PM to me in chapelizod.

He says he has owned the car for 3 weeks, but only bought it yesterday. Oddly, the registration plate has been changed. The numbers are still the same, but the plate is changed from a legal plate, to a fancy font plate.

Probably to attract lowlifes... Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Phenoxan

This just happened to me. Bought the car 4 months ago with the NCT cert saying it expired in December. Took it in for the NCT today and i noticed it says it was due on the 7th of Sept. Showed the cert to the tester and he pulled my records. Car had not been tested for 2 years and failed the last time. Cert was a fake.

I have it here still and was thinking of taking it to the Gards but I doubt they would be interested.

• Advertisement

TonyStark wrote: »
    Probably to attract lowlifes... Just saying.

Possibly. The original plate was fine.mi mentioned it, because the seller was very quick to get new plates installed, so this is obviously a business operating as a private seller.
    Phenoxan wrote: »
    This just happened to me. Bought the car 4 months ago with the NCT cert saying it expired in December. Took it in for the NCT today and i noticed it says it was due on the 7th of Sept. Showed the cert to the tester and he pulled my records. Car had not been tested for 2 years and failed the last time. Cert was a fake.

I have it here still and was thinking of taking it to the Gards but I doubt they would be interested.

At this stage, probably not. But this one is current. Car is only sold a day and already fake nct advertised.

You seem to be a bit of a Walter Mitty, but hey, don't let reality get in the way of ur imagination

You seem to be a bit of a Walter Mitty, but hey, don't let reality get in the way of ur imagination

:pac:

I live in a world where if I can get a scummer caught for fraud, I will. If that makes me a Walter Mitty, then that's grand. I genuinely can't see how you have a problem with my OP unless you are the type who would behave like the scummer who is selling a car with a fake nct in a mates name. The type who drives with a driving ban.

You are obviously just a waster who seems to condone criminal behaviour and have probably stung people for similar stuff. Your previous posts are just delightful and very helpful in all the threads you've posted in. Outstanding. Take care now and have a lovely evening. No need to add more of your useful input and advice to this thread. ;)

You should change your username to Alice in wonderland - selling in a mates name, driving ban, fake nct disk. Havent seen this much drama since eastenders - you would most likely be better off dealing with your own issues, of which you seem to have many...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭rebelbmx

If he bought it yesterday from your BIL then he mustn't have the registration cert yet for the car.

You should change your username to Alice in wonderland - selling in a mates name, driving ban, fake nct disk. Havent seen this much drama since eastenders - you would most likely be better off dealing with your own issues, of which you seem to have many...

I reckon if reading about fake nct disks and driving bans is so dramatic to you, that you should becareful if you ever leave your bedroom and step out into the real world, for which you seem to lack any real understanding of. This may be why you have referred to two separate fantasy worlds. Now, please make like your username and find another thread to derail. I am beginning to suspect you know the scumbag selling the car.
    rebelbmx wrote: »
    If he bought it yesterday from your BIL then he mustn't have the registration cert yet for the car.

No, the cert was sent yesterday, so he doesn't have it yet. The guy says he has the car 3 weeks and only sent the logbook off on Friday. Another lie, because he only bought the car on Tuesday morning.

Advertisement