Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

10 yr NCB

Options
  • 25-11-2014 9:17pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I've 10 years NCB on my private car and I'm buying a van for work and will be taking out commercial insurance. I'm wanting to know, can I transfer my years over to commercial or is it a whole new policy. I'll be using this van from now on but I'd hate the thought of losing all them years I gained with my car.

Just wondering is there any way round it so I don't lose all these years NCB.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

duckcfc wrote: »
    I've 10 years NCB on my private car and I'm buying a van for work and will be taking out commercial insurance. I'm wanting to know, can I transfer my years over to commercial or is it a whole new policy. I'll be using this van from now on but I'd hate the thought of losing all them years I gained with my car.

Are you keeping thé car+?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I thought the max number of NCB you could have was 6? May be wrong though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

You can use your private NCB as experience for the commercial vehicle, but you will no longer have a private NCB after that. You will be essentially starting from scratch with a commercial policy, albeit with a discount from using your NCB.

ie. You cannot use the one NCB for both car and van.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

This is my experience. Don't know if its correct or not, but reverse of your situation.

Had a van 10 years plus. Then bought a private car to replace the van.
    Some companies would not except my NCB, some would.

So went with one of the companies that accepted. Next year my full NCB cert will be on a private car so no more questions should be asked.

I found insuremyvan good for commercial. I don't work fir them btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

kceire wrote: »
    You can use your private NCB as experience for the commercial vehicle, but you will no longer have a private NCB after that. You will be essentially starting from scratch with a commercial policy, albeit with a discount from using your NCB.

ie. You cannot use the one NCB for both car and van.

When you say I can use it as experience, what do you mean. And if I change back from commercial after 2 years, will my NCB have disappeared

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When you say I can use it as experience, what do you mean. And if I change back from commercial after 2 years, will my NCB have disappeared

Some companies will mirror your private NCB to a commercial policy, like some will when you take out a 2nd private policy. You loose any NCB after 2 years of not having a policy, but again some companies will mirror the commercial NCB back onto a private policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Insuremyvan mirror your ncb from private car to van also. I have both my vehicles with them. Theyre the only company ive found that works in this situation

Advertisement