Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rubbish tyres on the majority of cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

catallus wrote: »
    Ok, I'm not going to be going to Nurburgring on these yokes but are you saying I should watch out for quick excessive wear in one spot, or is the rubber so crap that it might just go bald after a thousand miles? Should I be looking out for surprises? FML :(

I'm too sure what there actually like. Infairness they've been around a good while and are well known so there probably not dangerous bad and should be fine until they wear down to about 50% they could start getting dodgy then. Maybe someone who's had experience with them would know more. Just watch them in the rain until you get a feel for what there like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 trapattack

I drive 500 KM a week and got four new tyres on my car for 200 around three months. They are perfect tyres and only a fool pays for more expensive ones!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

trapattack wrote: »
    I drive 500 KM a week and got four new tyres on my car for 200 around three months. They are perfect tyres and only a fool pays for more expensive ones!

Good one.

There fine until you have to make an emergency stop in the wet and then suddenly it's the difference between you hitting the thing your trying to avoid and not hitting it. You get what you pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

What size?

225/15/16

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye them, see if they wear badly.

• Advertisement

Good one.
    LIGHTNING wrote: »
    And you will be the type of person trying to sue your local tire company/car company when you car looses control for "no reason" at all in the rain and fires you into a ditch.

Some weeks it can be 800KM depending if they need me in the office all week.

Any reviews of tyres to back up you claims or is it just these tyres or dearer so they must be better! I never ever had a problem with cheap tyres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Bpmull wrote: »
    There fine until you have to make an emergency stop in the wet and then suddenly it's the difference between you hitting the thing your trying to avoid and not hitting it. You get what you pay for.

Perhaps. But again, I think the real issue is the quality of the driving. I think its advisable for anyone who is reckless and drives too fast to buy the grippiest tyres they can because they'll need them. If you drive easy and are generally careful then I think most tyres that are sold are quite sufficient.

Any reviews of these better more expensive tyres. I would love to see them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jesus. wrote: »
    I don't know what's on that video but unless it proves the cheaper tyres have failed to make the minimum grade as set out by the safety bodies, then its not really relevant to what I said.

Yes minimum being the keyword :D

Sorry for the curt reply there Atlantic. Wasn't intentional.

Interesting video and there's no doubting the added grip in the wet :)

• Advertisement

Any reviews of these better more expensive tyres. I would love to see them!

What tyres have you got exactly?

What tyres have you got exactly?

Rubber ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sorry for the curt reply there Atlantic. Wasn't intentional.

Interesting video and there's no doubting the added grip in the wet :)

Yes all tyres with the E mark are fully road legal but for the money you save you would have to question is it worth it in an emergency stop if your looking at multiple car lengths in difference to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'm too sure what there actually like. Infairness they've been around a good while and are well known so there probably not dangerous bad and should be fine until they wear down to about 50% they could start getting dodgy then. Maybe someone who's had experience with them would know more. Just watch them in the rain until you get a feel for what there like.

When I picked up a used Octavia a few years ago the dealer had put a set of Wanlis on it. They're awful right from the start, like driving around on solid plastic wheels such was the lack of grip in any sort of dampness. Traction control and ABS constantly kicking in. Got rid of them after a couple of weeks.

Nothing to do with wearing quickly or anything like that.

Fair point mate

Rubber ones.

Thought as much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭Stepping Stone

People don't really get the whole tyre thing. I do an awful lot of driving in a pretty old car. Car is worth maybe €1k but I put contis on it again last spring. It cost me €620 but you can't put a price on the difference they make to driving. If I had a euro for everyone who told me I was mad to spend that amount of money on tyres for that car!
    My SIL has a frightening love of part worns on her quite expensive car. People really do not get it. My OH used to do budget tyres til he realised the difference between our cars. He is fully converted now. If I had more spare cash, I would have bought better tyres by the way.

Perhaps. But again, I think the real issue is the quality of the driving. I think its advisable for anyone who is reckless and drives too fast to buy the grippiest tyres they can because they'll need them. If you drive easy and are generally careful then I think most tyres that are sold are quite sufficient.

You don't have to be a reckless driver to need to buy decent tyres either. Sure tyres that meet the minimum safety standards are sufficient. But then being sufficient and decent are too different things. I've had Chinese stuff on cars too when they came with them. I had wanlis on my focus they were brand new so left them on it for a while and they were fine. But I got rid off them when they got to 50% and you could spin the wheels in second gear coming of a roundabout. The best driver in the world can't anticipate someone pulling out in front of them and needing to stop in a hurry and the premium tyres will bring you to a stop in a lot shorter distance than the likes of the cheap Chinese stuff and that's not me making it up or anything else it's fact you can look it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I have Michelins on my landcruiser, cost €720 for the 4. Best money I have spent in a while. People forget that it's the only part of your vehicle that touches the road. In my case today, I was driving near Portlaise towing a large trailer and had to perform an emergency brake and avoid a van that pulled out in front of me. I was glad of the superb grip the tyres gave me to stop land change direction with over 4 tons of vehicle. Wet weather performance is the best indicator of quality tyres, and I despair for the amount of family cars with poor quality tyres to keep them "safe"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Two things in life I never scrimp on, tyres and teabags.
    It's served me well so far.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Blue Whale

What do people think of BF Goodrich tyres? Hard to get but seem to be half decent tyres for the money judging by the reviews I read online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Good tyres, good shoes and a good mattress, you'll always have one of them under ya.

(Resisted temptation to put 'good wife' in the list)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Blue Whale wrote: »
    What do people think of BF Goodrich tyres? Hard to get but seem to be half decent tyres for the money judging by the reviews I read online.

Their middle of the road, along the lines of Semperit & firestone. I can get them if you want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

Some people will spend more on their Nike trainers than their tyres. :D

It didn't save Nidge.
    NCT won't tell you that your shiny new Chinese tyres can be lethal in the wet. This is part of the problem IMHO - the aul NCT false sense of security.

If Chinese tyres can be legally sold then some people will buy them.
    But it is false economy, I have a Focus and €90-€100 a corner will get good tyres, not much call for anything more. I wouldn't dream of saving on something which determines my stopping, although I wouldn't bother much about a scratch or dinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

Tails142 wrote: »
    I was in Atlas tyres in Blanchardstown the other day. Was getting two front tyres fitted, Bridgestones costing €235 a corner. A girl came in with a puncture and wanted a new tyre because it was worn anyway. So the guy gives her a few prices and she decided on a €60 tyre, didnt overhear the brand but it was a Ford Focus she was driving so seems reasonable enough price for an economy brand. I wouldn't think you would be getting anything for less than €50 on a focus, even a ling lang.

Anyway she is on the phone to her dad a few minutes later and he obviously tells her she is being ripped off. So she goes up to the desk demanding they stop work and give her the car back. So the fitter comes out and says he already has the new tyre on the rim. She starts kicking up about it and the guy behind the desk is like ok, I can take the new tyre off the rim again and put the punctured tyre back on but it is going to cost €15 as that is our standard fitting charge and we have used a valve plus wasted our time etc etc. She starts kicking off even worse saying how they are ripping her off etc and eventually they just give her the keys to her car back and she drives off with the spare wheel on and the punctured wheel back on the rim in her boot. All the hassle for what, at most ten euro!! And all the while I'm sitting there like a spa paying for one tyre what she would pay for four. Some people....

what a weirdo, they should wrap a towel around her rim and say this will do, i can give it for free as a good will token.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

i never skimp on tyres, i got 2 bridgestones on the rear and 2 pirelli on the front. I don't even want to think how much the rear tyres cost but its not like i will be buying them every other month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

Got Uniroyal Rainsport 3s for €85 each - the cheapest basic tyres offered were €60, so €50 in the difference for replacing two tyres.

Only 6k miles pa so they shouldn't wear down too quickly - it's a very small amount extra spread out over that timespan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

A friend of mine runs a tyre place, I'm in there quite a bit, the only question he ever gets asked with regard to tyres is "have you nothing cheaper?"
    This is from the public and the trade (by trade I mean main dealers, a ford and a vw garage to be precise)
    One time I replaced the tyres on a car I'd bought which were dangerous to drive on (although nearly new) when I say dangerous I mean any bend on a damp road at anything over running pace the front would push on badly, and any touch of the brakes would have the abs kick in.
    A guy who'd listened to me giving out like fcuk about deathtraps, ditch finders etc asked me if he could have them, I again explained how bad they were, he didn't care:eek: he got my mate to stick them on his sh1theap and away he went happy as a clam.
    I wouldn't give a crap only someday the car they won't be able to stop for will be me:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

I don't understand why people scrimp on tyres, they are the only contact your car has with the road. I'm not going to compromise on my own safety, my family's safety or the safety of other road users to save a few euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I've had Kumhos before and found them OK. There are some decent mid-range tyres. My current Falkens were pretty cheap too, without sacrificing safety.

Nothing wrong with the Falkens, great grip.

Advertisement