Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT Cert date differs from website?

• 25-11-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

So I am going in to NCT a car i bought a few months ago. Its had a few issues but it runs well and I am happy with it.

The NCT on the cert says it expires on 09/12/14. Only I just checked the NCT website and it says my car was due in on the 7/09/14 of this year. Could anyone tell me why this would be the case. Surely the seller wouldn't go through the trouble of a a fake cert for only 3 months extra.

Also if it is genuine and my car passes tomorrow. Are they likely to backdate my car to the 7th of sep or what is on the Cert date?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Phenoxan

The car is an 00 car. But it was registered in Ireland on the 5/02/2008 (uk import) from the odds and ends i found when i gave the car a good scrub it looked like it came from up north.

Edit: Just noticed that the NCT date is the same as the cars first registration date. 7 Sept 2000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

looks dodgy don't it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

could be a dodgy NCT cert,ive personally seen some very very good fake certs!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BHP

Phenoxan wrote: »
    Surely the seller wouldn't go through the trouble of a a fake cert for only 3 months extra.

Sounds lke a fake if the expiry of the cert is 09/12/14. It could have been due on Sept 7th 2013 and never presented and a fake cert made for it.

If so then it would skip the 2013 date as that was more than 12 months ago and the new due date would be Sept 7th 2014.

If the car passes tomorrow it would get a cert until Sept 7th 2015.

Just done a bit of reading up and you could be right. I was foolish when i bought this car and with it being my first time buy I had no experience with it, It had the NCT cert in the window but no tax since 2013...

This is actually the retest its going in for. I put it in 2 weeks ago and it failed on an 80% brake inbalance! When i took it to a mechanic the rear drums were wrecked. Ended up having to replace the shoes and cylinders along with the cables from the hand brake.

I will take the cert into the cenrre and ask anyway. If it turns out to be a fake I will hand it into the Gards and see if they have any interest. I don't mind having the NCT start from September. I was glad they noticed the brakes being as bad as they were. Cant mess around when it comes to brakes and tires I guess.

Was looking at the cert before and it looks legit though. Has the hologram and even the perforated edges were its been torn from the sheet. Put it next to a friends cert and it looked the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

Was looking at the cert before and it looks legit though. Has the hologram and even the perforated edges were its been torn from the sheet. Put it next to a friends cert and it looked the same.

The forgery can be good also there was a heap of certs stolen from a NCT test centre.
    Sounds like you have one of them, then the only part they have to print is car details with basic printer

The NCT Web site has never been wrong from my experience always worth checking

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

could be a dodgy NCT cert,ive personally seen some very very good fake certs!

Iv seen very good ones too but also some horrifically bad like 3yr olds made them,

bit late now but allways safer check online

imurdaddy wrote: »
    Iv seen very good ones too but also some horrifically bad like 3yr olds made them,

bit late now but allways safer check online

Aye. I am just going to hand it in to the receptionist tomorrow and see what they say about it. Lesson learned i suppose.

Aye. I am just going to hand it in to the receptionist tomorrow and see what they say about it. Lesson learned i suppose.

A sure it happens, I got caught with AE86 twincam few years ago same thing fake disc no cert, needed a nice bit of work to get trough.

You wont be too bad if its only goin back to September.

It was a fake. Took it into the center with me. Car hasn't been tested since 2012 and failed.

Passed this time though so it's all good. Been driving around the past 4 months with no NCT though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

Hardly a Ford Ka was it?

Na it was a Hyundai Accent. Bought from some guy just outside Newbridge. He insisted we meet at his house and seemed really genuine. Just goes to show you.

Car was full of problems. In the end i did a ton of work to it.

Clutch
    2 new CV joints
    Full service
    Front brake pads
    Wheel balancing and alignment
    New Wipers
    New Brear Drums and shoes for the Brakes.
    There was a corroded brake line that I had to replace
    Lights aligned.

Luckily I found a great mechanic that let me work out a great deal. I sorted his home network out and he sorted my car so it worked out in the end.

Still spent a good bit of money and the seller must of saw me coming.

Na it was a Hyundai Accent. Bought from some guy just outside Newbridge. He insisted we meet at his house and seemed really genuine. Just goes to show you.

Car was full of problems. In the end i did a ton of work to it.

Clutch
    2 new CV joints
    Full service
    Front brake pads
    Wheel balancing and alignment
    New Wipers
    New Brear Drums and shoes for the Brakes.
    There was a corroded brake line that I had to replace
    Lights aligned.

Luckily I found a great mechanic that let me work out a great deal. I sorted his home network out and he sorted my car so it worked out in the end.

Still spent a good bit of money and the seller must of saw me coming.

She'll be good for a few years so fingers crossed! :)

Advertisement