Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Long term car rent

Options
  • 22-11-2014 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭

Hey

Anyone ever considered long-term care rental? Our car has broken down - overheating - who knows the cost to fix it. We've just had a service, no problems but needed to update the tyres E750. Had a new clutch last 18 months E600. Depreciation, NCT, Car Insurance. It all adds up http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cost-of-running-family-car-rises-over-past-year-239549.html

Is there anything to be said for car rental. Looking up a few car rental companies, you can get a golf or similar for 280E per month. It looks promising, never breaks down, always serviced etc.
    Any comments

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,386 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Car rental companies also have to cover maintainance, depreciation etc. and make a profit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Will the €280 a month still be available in the high season?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

vandriver wrote: »

Can you seriously get a golf for 280 per month on a hire deal?
    Taxed, insured and maintained

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

those costs are a bit on the high side form the AA.

I don't think a lot of people are paying €288 for tyres every year (maybe 160 every few years for Chinese ones if the recent thread is anything to go by).

€352 for a service - I think a lot of motorists dodge this one as well.

€1,059 repairs - surely not every year.

€4,006 - parking. I sure some pay this but not the average joe.

AA subscription 149 - I suppose the AA can't leave that one out.

Annual cost:
    Motoring for family car in tax band C

Standing Charges:
    Motor tax:..............€390.
    Insurance:..............€939.
    Driving Licence:.......€5.50.
    Depreciation:..........€2,501.
    Interest on capital:. €189.
    Garage/Parking:...... €4,006.
    NCT: .....................€18.
    AA subscription: .....€149.
    Total: ..................€8,197.50.
    Operating Costs
    Petrol: .................€2,014.
    Oil: .....................€25.60.
    Tyres: .................€288.
    Servicing: ............€352.
    Repairs/replacements:€1,059.
    Total: .................€3,738.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

No way can you rent a Golf for 280 per month. That works out at around 9e a day.

• Advertisement

^^^Just realized that's a complete maths fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭karlitob

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Car rental companies also have to cover maintainance, depreciation etc. and make a profit too.

But greater economies of scale

vandriver wrote: »

Actually - good point,

mickdw wrote: »
    Can you seriously get a golf for 280 per month on a hire deal?
    Taxed, insured and maintained

E280 for large compact car - we always choose a golf. So not a hire deal, as in hire purchase, but rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,277 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

My costs would be approx:

Insurance 720
    Tax 570
    Service / parts 350
    Tyres 260
    Depreciation 6000/year (over last 6 years)
    NCT 30

Petrol excluded as that would also apply if running a hire car.

Thats 660 / month excluding petrol.

So I could theoretically sell my car and take a hire car at up to 660 per month if it was taxed, insured and maintained.

Where can you get a golf at 280 per month? Im seeing more like 500

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

If I crash my lease car, my company can provide a similar sized hire car at a cost of 260 euro per month to me but I believe they would be subsidising me heavily.

If you don't like big bills then buy a modern small car on finance or lease.
    Many years of warranty.
    Actually more refined than many larger cars from even just a decade ago.
    Service intervals up to 30k km.
    Generally better fuel consumption.

Some people turn their nose up at small cars but they do their job very well.
    My brother for example drives a sh!tbox of a 10 year old Mazda 6 which has known a hard life but he has turned his nose up at the 141 registration Up! Mii! 208 and Fiestas that I've arrived home in on visits.

If I crash my lease car, my company can provide a similar sized hire car at a cost of 260 euro per month to me but I believe they would be subsidising me heavily.

If you don't like big bills then buy a modern small car on finance or lease.
    Many years of warranty.
    Actually more refined than many larger cars from even just a decade ago.
    Service intervals up to 30k km.
    Generally better fuel consumption.

Some people turn their nose up at small cars but they do their job very well.
    My brother for example drives a sh!tbox of a 10 year old Mazda 6 which has known a hard life but he has turned his nose up at the 141 registration Up! Mii! 208 and Fiestas that I've arrived home in on visits.

I already have a small car. Not really into cars so wouldn't turn my nose up at anything - don't drive much - shops, weekends and a few further spots afield. No one likes big bills - nothing specific to me. Warranty's don't cover everything - and even then only a year or so. And you need to buy a new car for warranty really - a year on second hand.

You can try the rental car websites - not sure everyone believes me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Contact a few lease companies too. long term leasing isn't what it used to be so I'm sure they'll be happy of the business. I used to work for one (since gone bust) who did a rolling one month lease agreement. cheaper than the likes of Hertz etc and just as good cars. only difference was we insisted on you providing your own fully comp insurance, organising insurance is a pain in the ass.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

karlitob wrote: »
    You can try the rental car websites
    Try the rental car websites for the period 15th December through to 6th January or the entire months of July and August or valentine's weekend or Easter or any bank holiday weekend and see if renting is such a great idea.
    I refuse to pay the prices for those periods so make do with the inconvenience of a bus down home and then drive around in a car owned by a family member on which I'm a named driver.
    Also, if you go to Budget Car Hire they'll see how much you are paying and for how long you'll be driving it and they'll be giving you the death-trap that should have been transitioned out of the fleet 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭devondudley

i work for one of the well known car rental companies basically that article is rubbish, firstly that's low season rate on basic insurance if anything happens you pay 1600 excess, I know you can get an annual cover for this but the car rental companies block the excess on your card for as long as you have the car. secondly a rental is a max 28 days so you gotta change the car every month anything longer is a lease, as stated above this is low season prices and besides nov and jan feb there is always like a mid term or bank holiday to consider putting up prices, the car rental company I work for would be the biggest volume wise and busiest and in all honesty people don't do it, a few times people start with a months rental but with money blocked and the cost is more likely 500- 600 a month when you take in high season it doesn't work out cheaper

Does a customer have to have their own insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Only difference was we insisted on you providing your own fully comp insurance, organising insurance is a pain in the ass.

Can you take out a policy on a car you don't own?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I was without a car last month for a week. Went online and ended up in a brand new fiesta for 7 days for €70 using their basic insurance. Seriously cheap but I'm guessing it would be multiples of that in summer or around Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

This might be a viable alternative if you live near a base and are not heavily reliant on the car...
    http://www.gocar.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,711 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Interesting thread..

I suppose if I'm honest, I don't use the car that much during the week anymore and it's more at the weekends that I'd need it (long motorway spin plus running around at the end of it).
    Probably costs me maybe €500 a month as is between diesel, tax and tolls alone.. not including tyres or servicing/parts.

But I likes my convenience, luxury and toys too and I'm not one for public transport (having put up with it for 30 years). What would leasing an auto A6 set me back these days then? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Can you take out a policy on a car you don't own?

Well you'd take out insurance on a rental car and you don't own that... I know some insurance company's ask if the car's in your name but if don't believe it to be a legal requirement.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Interesting thread..

I suppose if I'm honest, I don't use the car that much during the week anymore and it's more at the weekends that I'd need it (long motorway spin plus running around at the end of it).
    Probably costs me maybe €500 a month as is between diesel, tax and tolls alone.. not including tyres or servicing/parts.

But I likes my convenience, luxury and toys too and I'm not one for public transport (having put up with it for 30 years). What would leasing an auto A6 set me back these days then? :)

It is interesting!! Thank you.

E500 is a lot! Our radiator is costing E400 plus E750 from an earlier service this year and NCT. And I only really drive at weekends. I just wondered, was it cheaper to rent all in all.

ballooba wrote: »
    This might be a viable alternative if you live near a base and are not heavily reliant on the car...
    http://www.gocar.ie/

Nah, E50 once off fee, E5 per month, E50 per day.

Sure I got a car for week for 60E

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

karlitob wrote: »
    Nah, E50 once off fee, E5 per month, E50 per day.

Sure I got a car for week for 60E

The idea is that you rent by the hour as you need it. Petrol, maintenance, parking and insurance included. I used to use it when I was living overseas short term and didn't want to buy/lease.

I never rented other than by the hour, for long trips I'd rent off normal car hire place by the day.

Advertisement