Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help, really strange problem with net connection

Options
  • 16-07-2009 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I would have put this in nets and comms, but I'm not sure if this is a traditional network problem. I have a machine (XP Pro SP2), which relies upon a wireless (PCI card) to talk to my AP/Router and then out through a NTL modem to the net. In the place there are a few devices all using this AP/router and all have no problems except this one XP machine. All seemed fine at first, all working grand for a few months, then all of a sudden I couldn't connect to google and the net in general seemed to be much slower.

I can ping the router from the machine with a 1ms ping no problem there. I have DHCP on the network and I'm getting an IP and respective IP settings fine. When I ping boards.ie from the machine I get a response under 20ms with no loss. When I ping google, I consistently get time outs. Several other sites this happens with also. I am at the stage now where I can connect to certain sites but not others. So I straight away thought that machine must be full of crap malware/viruses/etc and yes it had several trojans and other rubbish. So now I decide I'm gutting the entire machine, and doing a clean OS re-install. I do that and install AVG 8.5 complete with updates and make sure that all storage mediums are clean (they are now!).

So here I am with a clean machine and nothing has changed. I was thinking that the drivers for the Wireless PCI card must be buggered so I downloaded newer ones and I'm having the same problem. This is driving me mad because all the other wireless devices in the house are working perfectly.

Any ideas?

Advertisement