Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slow computer

• 15-07-2009 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,634 ✭✭✭✭

my brothers computer is acting up so i said "ill give a look at it"

iv fixed most of the problems but im stuck on one

when i power up the computer before the log in page it takes for ever to get there

message is "please wait"

what's wrong ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

Hey Headshot,

Try this - disable all of the startup programs except your antivirus. This will mean the computer will boot faster because it wont have to load these programs at startup.

To do this bring up a run prompt (hold windows key & press R). Type msconfig and hit enter. Click on the startup tab and disable all of these programs except for your antivirus.

After this make sure the desktop isnt loaded with Icons and folders. Try and have a clean desktop and you should notice a bit of an improvement too.

best of luck with it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Also try removing any external usb drives plugged in if any and test the boot time without them. They can slow boot up depending on os and configuration of drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Headshot wrote: »
    my brothers computer is acting up so i said "ill give a look at it"

iv fixed most of the problems but im stuck on one

when i power up the computer before the log in page it takes for ever to get there

message is "please wait"

what's wrong ?
    Is this a Toshiba computer with Vista?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,634 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

mossyj wrote: »
    Hey Headshot,

Try this - disable all of the startup programs except your antivirus. This will mean the computer will boot faster because it wont have to load these programs at startup.

To do this bring up a run prompt (hold windows key & press R). Type msconfig and hit enter. Click on the startup tab and disable all of these programs except for your antivirus.

After this make sure the desktop isnt loaded with Icons and folders. Try and have a clean desktop and you should notice a bit of an improvement too.

best of luck with it....

no luck mate
    cpu-dude wrote: »
    Is this a Toshiba computer with Vista?

how did you guess ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Headshot wrote: »
    how did you guess ?
    Wild guess (AKA Google). You need to disable a Toshiba service, do the following:

Click "Start" and type "msconfig" in the search box. Press enter.

Click on the "Services" and untick "Notebook Performance Tuning Service".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok" and now reboot your computer.

• Advertisement

Wild guess (AKA Google). You need to disable a Toshiba service, do the following:

Click on the "Services" and untick "Notebook performance tuning service".

thanks mate ill try that when i get home

thanks

Click on the "Services" and untick "Notebook Performance Tuning Service".

nope still the same problem :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭mossyj

interesting thread here which might just do the trick for you.....

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-vista-performance/677542.htm

A guy posts a good solution a few posts down which may help!

best of luck...

Advertisement