Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achieving 80+ Mb/s

Options
  • 26-12-2014 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi there.

I have a UPC 120 Mbps connection.

I've been attempting to get the most out of this connection wirelessly across my house.

My current set up is.

Netgear AV500 500Mbps Powerline Mini Adapter Kit, which gets my Asus RT-N56U away from my UPC Horizon box, TV, and Cordless phone, and places it upstairs, roughly in the middle of the house.

The problem is, the Powerline piece of equipment, is limiting the UPC connection going into the Asus RT-N56U, to 40 Mbps, (Using speedtest.net).

So in effect my wireless connection is the house is limited to 40Mbps.

The reason, I had to use the Powerline Adapter, was because the ASUS RT-N56U signal was being hampered, and was fluctuating badly, when it was in the TV room, near the Horizon box, and all the other gear.

Any suggestions about how to get the most out of the UPC connection?

I originally bought the ASUS router, so as to fix range issues with the Horizon Box, and I really thought it would do the trick. But then I realised I had to get the router into a better position in the house. So that's where the Powerline comes in, it's really bottle-necking the whole thing.

I was thinking the only way is probably, a new AC wireless router? Then I'd have to upgrade all the laptops and stuff in the house, and I would still be at the risk of that AC router performing badly if it had to remain near the Horizon box, and other gear.

Many thanks for you time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Adren wrote: »
    Any suggestions about how to get the most out of the UPC connection?

Run cat5 cables to everything static including this wireless AP, a cable does gigabit, it's a no-brainer. Buy a box of cable for about 60 quid and run it yourself

Advertisement