Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8 Nations

Options
  • 02-10-2007 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭

We all know Argentina need to be in an annual competition, so heres my solution.

Let Argentina and one other team (probably Georgia or Romania) join the 6 nations. Divide the 8 teams into two groups of four, with the top two of each group going on to semifinals and final/third place playoff. The bottom two of each group would play for places 5th - 8th.

It would mean that every team still plays five games and the final standings will determine seedings for the following year. Simple.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭loadabollocks

good idea. that would be very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

are the Argies not in the tri-nations??

Personally I'd like to see the worse teams set up there own competition. Maybe Romania, Georgia, Namibia, Portugal and a couple of others could do something and the pacific Islanders USA and Canada should set something up to

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Doubs

no their not in the tri nations (thats NZ, AUS, & SA).

cant see them making into the 6 nations to be honest, kudos for the idea above but i cant see it happening, georgia are no where near the standard to be even competitive at the moment for a start. i dont know how much money is pumped into georgian rugby, but it can only be a fraction of what argentina get (2 million). compare that to some of the leading nations like france (80m) and, well, its just not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

8 Nations would be good in theory - but if the decision to reduce the RWC to 16 goes ahead, then it would be like a world cup every year - without the SH nations and a few others that probably haven't a prayer. I think if it went to 8 nations it would take the edge off the RWC as a spectacle.

I'm not against the idea of a larger competition every year as it would be great from a spectator point of view, but it might put excessive demands on players given the Magners League and Heineken Cup tournaments also have their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Bubs101 wrote:
    are the Argies not in the tri-nations??

Personally I'd like to see the worse teams set up there own competition. Maybe Romania, Georgia, Namibia, Portugal and a couple of others could do something and the pacific Islanders USA and Canada should set something up to
    There is a "VI Nations B" tournament. Here's the French Wikipedia page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

The Argies will most likely join the Tri-Nations in 2008 if their own governing body will let them.

They want to keep the game mostly amateur in Argentina.

http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rugby/article1434537.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

Argies can't join the 6 Nations because:
    a) The distance to travel to games
    b) They are a southern hemisphere team

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hamo

Firstly 28 of the current Argie squad play in Europe,
    - 16 in France
    - 6 in Italy
    - 6 in UK and ireland

on teh second point they have already offered to base themselves in Europe (Nth Spain) so teh SH travel is removed.

It really comes down to thier union and the wish to base a professional team in Europe or not, of course the ol boys in the IRB such as Syd Millar and Co will probably veto anything thats anyway progressive in the game....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

The 6N is a European competition. I really think it should be the tri-nations that they (the pumas) join, if anything. I understand a lot of their players are in Europe, but that's just unfortunate - Brazil and Argentina aren't in the (Soccer) European Championships. But adding random countries to the 6 Nations because they happen to be good, is not, IMO, a good, or fair idea!

The simple reason they cant join is because domestic competitions would clash and the extra stain on the players would be totally unfair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

I thought the Argies already got knocked back after proposing to play their home games in Spain.

It's a shame that they are geographically so isolated from Rugby's super powers. If the game was more developed in the Americas they could play against USA, Canada, Uruguay and develop a tournament there. it would be for the good of World Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,109 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

davyjose wrote:
    The 6N is a European competition. I really think it should be the tri-nations that they (the pumas) join, if anything. I understand a lot of their players are in Europe, but that's just unfortunate - Brazil and Argentina aren't in the (Soccer) European Championships. But adding random countries to the 6 Nations because they happen to be good, is not, IMO, a good, or fair idea!

There are big differences between soccer and rugby as regards countires playing it.
    Who else really in South America plays rugby, are Uruguay the only real opposition ?

Argentina are unlucky in their location and of course they also don't belong to the cosey cartel of old ex colonies/commonwealth nations like NZ, Aus and SA who make up the tri-nations.
    Are they wanted in the tri nations or do the members want to keep that a closed shop?

Most of their players are European based so if they are willing to play in Europe, with perhaps odd match in Argentina to increase local appeal, they should be allowed in.

I think it would be damm good for 6 nations, it would shake it up and knock us out of our happy little mindset that the triple crown is so wonderful.

They can't be left out in the cold any longer, just take a look at banner at match the other day, "Argentina existe" says it all. They are trying to prove a point and are doing fine job at it.

Also they should make the semis which will really stirr the pot and force the RFU to put substance behind their ideas of spreading rugby throughout the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

jmayo wrote:
    Are they wanted in the tri nations or do the members want to keep that a closed shop?

I don't think so. There was an article by an All Black, I think it was Mauger, recently who said that he couldn't stomach the idea of regular travel to Argentina. It is on the other side of the world to New Zealand after all.

And Argentina joining the 3N just ain't gonna happen anyway. Because all their top players play in Europe. The seasons happen at a different time of year and they can't join Australian or New Zealand Super 14 franchises because the Aussies/Kiwis won't let them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Mauger seems alright with travelling the other side of the world to his new paymasters in Leicester for a few years salary, and then nip home just in time for RWC 2011

Advertisement