Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suggestions for Eddie's Successor

• 01-10-2007 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭

Just wondering who if anyone should replace Eddie O'Sullivan?

-not saying it should happen immediately, thats not the point

whether its now or in four yrs time, who could we have instead?

My suggestion is Conor O'Shea, rugby genius and current director of English RFU Academy - they recognised his talent, we should poach him back!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

declan kidney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Steve Staunton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hmm Anyone read Ciaran Cronins piece in the Tribune yesterday?
    He more or less inferred that countries that have a national coach are operating at a disadvantage when it comes to learning new coaching techniques.
    His case in point was, an English coach coaches England , an Irish Coach coaches Ireland, a Welsh coach coached Wales, and a Scottish coach coaches Scotland, a French coach coaches France.
    Now he was putting the point that apart from EO'S's stint with the Eagles none of the coaches have any experience in other countries coaching systems putting them in a disadvantage when it comes to understanding opposition teams especially from the SH.
    I personally think he has a valid point, when you have the likes of the Super 14 competition and the 3N which have a better skills structure the NH has a distinct disadvantage when it comes to that type of competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Jake White
    Eddie Jones
    Nick Mallet

any of those three if they were available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Manuel Lofreda. Pity we can't get him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

Eddie Jones with Keith Wood as team manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Michael Bradley

subfreq wrote:
    Id be very happy with this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

IRFU better be quick as it seems the Welsh RFU are keen on Eddie Jones too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I would too. Get on the phone to the IRFU...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Eddie Jones, Nick Mallet or Mike Ruddock.

But it's not just the top man we need, a proper forwards & backs coach.

Look at what David Knox is doing with the Leinster backline, too much time away from Knoxy left D'Arcy, Hickie & Horgan looking a little subdued :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Setanta have blaring lights over Matt Williams saying "Pick me Pick me"

subfreq wrote:

FACT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭LFC5Times

Nick Mallet - Supposedly going to take over from Pierre Berbizier as Italian Coach.

Also dont forget Wales are actively looking for a coach as we speak so are more likely to have first choice on the likes of Eddie Jones.

Could actually see Jones taking over Wales.

But if Mallet or Jones where free would love them @ Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Jose Mourinho.

Let's face it. We need somebody "special".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

Do a manager reshuffle, move Kidney into the Ireland job, Bradley to Munster (don't really know how well that would work out and maybe throw EOS the Connacht job.

Connacht would be the best place for EOS, he'd have no choice but to spend all his time grooming the next generation of Irish players without actually having total control over who makes the cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

GDM wrote:
    Do a manager reshuffle, move Kidney into the Ireland job, Bradley to Munster (don't really know how well that would work out and maybe throw EOS the Connacht job.

Connacht would be the best place for EOS, he'd have no choice but to spend all his time grooming the next generation of Irish players without actually having total control over who makes the cut.

Sod off.
    That would be typical IRFU Lansdowne Road thinking that has the nations team already a laughing stock.
    It is thinking like that that has Connacht screwed with no resources.

We are not leinster B or munster B, contrary to what some leinster fans in particular may think.
    Why should Connacht accept that muppet.

Here why not give Cheika the Ireland job since he did such a good ar** licking job on TV and give EOS the leinster job. He then can work with the world's best backline.

I am not allowed discuss …

i'm boycotting all activities associated with the IRFU, EOS ain't getting any of my money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Robbie Deans only man for the job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

ABK!!!

Anyone but Kidney.

Look what happened when he was in charge at Leinster. Half the team emigrated to avoid him. They're coming back now but the damage was done to our forwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Anyone but Kidney.

Agreed.

Kidney's success with Musnter is down to the ground work laid by Alan Gaffney. He did SFA at Leinster...Well apart from alienate the entire Leinster squad :)

If we go Irish....Gaffney as Manager and either Keith Wood or Gaillimh as Assistant/First Team Coach.

Let EOS go to Munster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

One of the things that has caught my attention is that EOS seems to be the only management face of Ireland. Not knowing a lot about Irish rugby I had a look at the RFU website and was amazed to see a real lack of internatinal experience among support staff. The skills coach (McLaughlin?) seems to have only coached at school and u21 level.

Contrast this to NZ with three coaches of international experience plus Mike Cron (the scrum doctor) and Brian Lohore. The same is true of the Aussies and South Africans.

I was also amazed that EOS and O'Donovan have been there since 2001. With a four year extension (excuse my maths) but that will give them 10years at the helm!! I don't care how good you are after ten years you get stale and there is a tendancy to stick with the same style and players you have used in the past.

I wait to be educated by more knowing members but seems to me the whole coaching structure is askew.

Advertisement