Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to pick up a 2TB external drive

Options
  • 21-07-2009 9:03pm

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get my hands on a 2TB External Hard Drive. Call me pessimistic, but as far as I'm concerned, every hard drive is guaranteed to die sooner or later. When it happens being a matter of luck. With this in mind, I tried Argos first (so I can get their no-hassle insurance) but they don't stock 2TB Drives, just 1TB ones (which i already have two of).

I was wondering if anyone here can recommend me a place, online or physical store, doesn't really matter, that I can pick up a 2TB External drive and that will be good to deal with if i need to return it, or that will offer me an extended insurance or something to cover it dying. Pretty much, I'm just looking for an Argos equivalent that stock 2TB Drives.

Anyone got any recommendations at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Do you HAVE to get the extended warranty?

I got my seagate about 2 years ago and(touch wood) its still going strong. Really in this day and age electrical goods should last 2-3 years plus.
    Also external drives are fairly cheap, so its not like say a few hundred euros IF it doesn't last.Plus no cover plan will cover lost of data, assuming thats something else that you might think of.

jeffk wrote: »
    Do you HAVE to get the extended warranty?

I got my seagate about 2 years ago and(touch wood) its still going strong. Really in this day and age electrical goods should last 2-3 years plus.
    Also external drives are fairly cheap, so its not like say a few hundred euros IF it doesn't last.Plus no cover plan will cover lost of data, assuming thats something else that you might think of.

Well 2TB drives are a few hundred euro (last time I checked they were floating in and around the €250+ mark) so that's a factor in it. I don't want to have to keep replacing broken drives. I'm unemployed at the moment, so the cost of replacing broken drives is something I'd like to avoid, too.

To avoid losing any data, I usually back up my stuff. For example, right now I have two 1TB drives. Both the same external drive, both from argos and both with identical content. That way if one decides to die, I can use my insurance to get it changed with no messing around, and I don't lose any of my data (unless they both die at the same time, but that's hugely unlikely).

So I'd actually end up buying two of the same 2TB drive. I just want somewhere that'll take it back if it dies on me without making me jump through hoops and wish I never bought from them in the first place. :)

I think I may just get another two 1TB Drives from argos again. Just seems like a waste to have two external drives plugged in and connected at the same time if one could do the job.

Ah i didnt think there that dear seen as i got a 1TB for 120 and thats in pc world. I meant there not as bad as say buying a 1000 euro tv and you barely get over a year outta it.

Ive more or less the same myself so i know what your gettting @.

Seen as your buying two items up to 500 have you tried the d i ds, pc world currys etc?
    Im sure in this recession they MIGHT give you something of or throw some stuff in to make it a good deal.

269 for a western digital one http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=358588
    As far as i know you can drop in and collect them, there in a industrial estate 5 minutes from the blanchardstown center.

Amazon can post electrical goods to ireland to, if there page was loading it would help lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

2TB externals are pretty expensive, and still pretty rare.

The above linked one doesnt count as a proper 2TB drive, as it is 2x1TB drives inside. Apart from being massive, it means you are doubling the chance of drive failure (actually im sure the statistic isn't exactly 2x, but you get the idea). Although they are a good idea if you have 1GB of data and want it mirrored across the two drives for redundancy.

You know that if you can't find many 2TB externals, you could just get a 2TB drive and put it in an enclosure. You'll have the standard warranty on the drive as normal, which should be a couple of years for most brands.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=430925

Thats news to me i just assumed search 2tb and your away.
    I never thought of is there such a thing as 2tb in one drive :S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Just got a lovely 1TB Seagate external for €59...I know you really want a 2TB but for the prices they are these days, would it not make better value to get the 1TB for the time and when the 2TB reduce just upgrade?

Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Here's a 2tb drive.

I'm about to run out of space (have about 1tb worth of music/movies etc.), and want my next hard drive to be 2tb, as I can have all my old stuff and room for plenty of new stuff on the one drive. I've been keeping an eye on 2tb drives and that's the first one I've seen that isn't 2 1tb drives stuck together.

I'm gonna wait until they're closer to €100 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Tallon wrote: »

Nice item, and a great price, but from what I understand, aren't pixmania supposed to be horrendous to deal with in th eevent of anything going wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Like ryanair, you get what you pay for.
    Hard to find great price AND great customer service with anything these days

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭gears

I've been dealing with Pixmania for about 5 years and have yet to have a problem with them. That said everything I 've bought has been perfect, digi cam, dvcam and lately a 1TB Iomega external drive and other stuff all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Again, FWIW you're looking at a 2x1TB raid 0 array in that Iomega, its not an actual 2TB drive inside. So its an extra order of unreliability compared to a single drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    Just got a lovely 1TB Seagate external for €59...I know you really want a 2TB but for the prices they are these days, would it not make better value to get the 1TB for the time and when the 2TB reduce just upgrade?

I agree with what you're saying. I'm also curious like jeffk to know where you got it for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

DannyBuoy wrote: »
    I agree with what you're saying. I'm also curious like jeffk to know where you got it for that price?

Easons in Newbridge...dont know if the other branches are doing it also, but worth a look.

Argh! Argos are a shower of bastards!

They put the price of the 1TB I wanted (and own) up from €125 to €160! "Helping you live for less" my bollocks!

EDIT:

Can anyone tell me, does this need to be plugged in?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/6758624/Trail/searchtext%3E1TB.htm

I'd assume it does, but it doesn't mention it in the description :confused:

Newry is only an hour to an hour and a half(from dublin) and you get it much cheaper!!!

Looks like that's what I'll be doing Jeff.

The other drive does need to be plugged in.

I was gonna do that but i was only getting one drive. So food and petrol would have killed the saving.

Which drives are you looking @?

That One:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=6757852&Submit=GO+%3E

Still have 30GB on my 1TB drives and about 400 on my internal drive, so thankfully im in no crazy rush to get them, but there's not a hope am i paying the euro price.

Which are you looking at yourself?

• Advertisement

Ah cool cool i dont know anything about that brand. But as you said yourself argos have a warranty and a shop you can physically walk into if it goes wrong.

Yeah handy no rush so you can wait till you or someone makes the trip up north.

Id say ill go with the same again so ill basically have the exact backup of the drive. Also touch wood seems no problems and working away grand. Well apart from format fat32 to nfts, but that's not THAT hard to do.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=420463

Advertisement