Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prepping rams skull and horns

Options
  • 28-03-2015 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, my OH came across a ram mostly rotten in a deep ditch while out hunting. Asked the farmer if he could have the skull as it has nice curling horns .
    So it's been hanging in a bucket, de horned, in the poly tunnel since before Christmas 2013 and the flies haven't really gone for it, to de flesh it.
    I put it on the shed roof in January and he has power hosed it this morning as he's threatening to throw it into the hedge if I don't hurry up and do something with it!
    There's still a lot of grease on it, especially around the neck area. I don't want to boil it in the house,I've no way in boiling it outside for long enough.... Any suggestions? Would washing powder make it brittle? I'm also trying to source hydrogen peroxide cheaply, Boots is near E3 for 120mls @6%, far too costly!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Bury it? Even in a plant pot, so its easy to find again?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

I boil my skulls outside but as you cant do that just boil your kettle and pour it over the skull a few times, this will ''cook'' the flesh remaining on the skull somewhat and make it easier to scrape off with a knife.now a goats horns need to be cleaned as unlike a deers they stay growing all their lives.you should find the horns should slip off with a twist after scalding the base of them(you may need to prise them with a knife or screwdriver) once the shell is off use a bit of dishwasher powder/tablet in water and scrub and degrease the inside of them.then wash them out with mouthwash to kill off smells.let your skull dry and bleach it then reattach the outer horns and glue to keep them from sliding off again. you can get bleach peroxide and mix in hair salon wholesalers very cheap,mix the paste and apply to the clean dry skull,dont get it on the horns.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If you are boiling it at this stage I'd suggest you do the following;
    For the sake of domestic harmony you do it outside and upwind of your house and neighbours. .Get a mask with the strongest perfume possible in it prefably the type used by forensic cleaners..Boiling rotten meat is horrible,there is little that will make me gag but this was one of those jobs that did.
    Also you need to clean utterly the inside of the horns as any little bit of left over blood vessel will stink you out of house and home.A good trick I found is to fill the two horns with Listerine mouth wash and leave them stand for about a fortnight .If you had it out that long I'd say they will come off no bother off the skull.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement