Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulking up

Options
  • 10-03-2015 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi i am going to start bulking up and going to the gym but first i want to get my supplements right.I have searched for the best supplements and brands of supplements to buy.Here is my list 1. Weight gainer-On serious mass 2. Multivitamin-On optimun men 3.Vitimin B complex-Not sure about this one(should i take one?) 4.Dessicated Liver-Another one am not sure about 5.ZMA-Universal nation pro 6.Creatine-Beast creature 7.EFA's? 8.Bcass's- Muscle pharm Bcaa 9.Amino acid formulas? 10.L glutamine- On glutamine or Muscle pharm glutamine 11.Essential fatty acids? 12.Nitric oxide boosters-No xsplode or jym pre jym its a pretty long list and not sure if i actually need all of them any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I think your way overthinking this man, reading that made my head hurt! Just get into the gym and eat loads if you want to bulk up, don't go waisting money on supplements you don't need. If you really want to use something get a decent protein and some creatine to start you off and you will be flying in a few months!

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Have you been training hard 3+ times a week and eating well consistently since you made the exact same thread 3 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Mike Trix

conzy wrote: »
    Have you been training hard 3+ times a week and eating well consistently since you made the exact same thread 3 years ago?

Id love to say that i have but i havnt.I didnt see much gains i went to a personal trainer and worked hard with him and he gave me a meal plan to stick to but still no real gains so gave up.I want to start back up again that's why i was looking into supplements because that was something i was missing in my plan i only took a weight gainer.Every time i search bulking up these supplements come up on most websites

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Train hard.

Eat more decent food.

It doesn't need the who's who of supplements.

Mike Trix wrote: »
    Id love to say that i have but i havnt.I didnt see much gains i went to a personal trainer and worked hard with him and he gave me a meal plan to stick to but still no real gains so gave up.I want to start back up again that's why i was looking into supplements because that was something i was missing in my plan i only took a weight gainer.Every time i search bulking up these supplements come up on most websites

Whats your height and weight now?

• Advertisement

aaakev wrote: »
    Whats your height and weight now?
    Am 5.9 & 9 stone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Am 5.9 & 9 stone

At that weight, you should grow like a weed if you start eating enough. Simple as that.

b_mac2 wrote: »
    At that weight, you should grow like a weed if you start eating enough. Simple as that.

Thats what i thought too.i ate well when i was trying to bulk up and took a weight gainer too and still no change now i hardly ever eat breakfast and am still the same weight

Iv heard that before a few times so i got a fella who in his words "eats like a horse" to list everything he had eaten one day and i had eaten more by lunchtime than he had all day.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Iv heard that before a few times so i got a fella who in his words "eats like a horse" to list everything he had eaten one day and i had eaten more by lunchtime than he had all day.....

This x100000!!
    Hilarious what some people think is a lot of food...

• Advertisement

b_mac2 wrote: »
    This x100000!!
    Hilarious what some people think is a lot of food...

when i was bulking up i was consuming alot more food than what i am consuming now thats why i said nowadays i mite not even eat breakfast it doesnt make any difference to me i dont lose weight and i dont gain weight.i no that cant be possible though and if you eat enough you will gain it just takes so long thats why i wanted to know if taking these supplements would help the process

when i was bulking up i was consuming alot more food than what i am consuming now thats why i said nowadays i mite not even eat breakfast it doesnt make any difference to me i dont lose weight and i dont gain weight.i no that cant be possible though and if you eat enough you will gain it just takes so long thats why i wanted to know if taking these supplements would help the process

Just start training man and don't get hung up before you've got going, creatine for a boost in strength and protein to make sure you get enough, job done

Just start training man and don't get hung up before you've got going, creatine for a boost in strength and protein to make sure you get enough, job done

That was one supp i never took was creatine il give it a go and do you know anything about efa's

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Use MyFitnessPal and track what you're eating. If you didn't put on weight, you didn't eat enough. It's that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

You don't lose weight when you eat less because you don't have any spare weight to lose.
    You clearly have a fast metabolism and as do I. I was never quite your weight but at 10 1/2 stone at the same height as you I was very very light.
    It boils down to this: when people say eat more it's not a target that when you do achieve it changes suddenly occur, nothing might happen.
    What you do starting tomorrow is eat more at every meal than you did today. At the start of next week eat more at every meal again than you did this week. EVERY meal.
    Keep things real simple. Do starting strength, eat 1 lb of meat a day and 2 pints of milk a day increasing by 1 pint per day until you see progress. When progress stops increase again.
    You're not a special case you just have to try harder than most people, embrace that fact and get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,054 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

1. Weight gainer-On serious mass
    2. Multivitamin-On optimun men
    3.Vitimin B complex-Not sure about this one(should i take one?)
    4.Dessicated Liver-Another one am not sure about
    5.ZMA-Universal nation pro
    6.Creatine-Beast creature
    7.EFA's?
    8.Bcass's- Muscle pharm Bcaa
    9.Amino acid formulas?
    10.L glutamine- On glutamine or Muscle pharm glutamine
    11.Essential fatty acids?
    12.Nitric oxide boosters-No xsplode or jym pre jym
    You don't need any of that. Some is a small bonus, most is a waste.
    Gets enough calories and you won't need a weight gainer.
    A good diet will cover vitamins if you eat enough, but a generic multi-vit will cover 2,3,4 & 5.
    Get enough fat and you'll cover 7 & 11 (which are the same thing)
    Get enough protein and you'll cover 8,9 & 10.
    Creatine might help, but you don't need it.
    No need for a pre-workout at this stage.

You need to eat more. That's all right now.
    when i was bulking up i was consuming alot more food than what i am consuming now
    What where you eating then. Be specific, foods and quantities.

You don't lose weight when you eat less because you don't have any spare weight to lose.
    You clearly have a fast metabolism and as do I. I was never quite your weight but at 10 1/2 stone at the same height as you I was very very light.
    It boils down to this: when people say eat more it's not a target that when you do achieve it changes suddenly occur, nothing might happen.
    What you do starting tomorrow is eat more at every meal than you did today. At the start of next week eat more at every meal again than you did this week. EVERY meal.
    Keep things real simple. Do starting strength, eat 1 lb of meat a day and 2 pints of milk a day increasing by 1 pint per day until you see progress. When progress stops increase again.
    You're not a special case you just have to try harder than most people, embrace that fact and get on with it.

Great bit of advice thanks

Mellor wrote: »
    You don't need any of that. Some is a small bonus, most is a waste.
    Gets enough calories and you won't need a weight gainer.
    A good diet will cover vitamins if you eat enough, but a generic multi-vit will cover 2,3,4 & 5.
    Get enough fat and you'll cover 7 & 11 (which are the same thing)
    Get enough protein and you'll cover 8,9 & 10.
    Creatine might help, but you don't need it.
    No need for a pre-workout at this stage.

You need to eat more. That's all right now.

What where you eating then. Be specific, foods and quantities.

when i look back and think about what i was eating i only ate four meals a day breakfast,lunch,dinner and supper from doing more reasearch i should be eating at least six to seven meals a day.I didnt really measure my meals i just did loads and ate till i felt sick and couldnt eat any more.Should i be eating six or seven smaller portion dinners a day? because it says to eat every two hours thats what am getting from the internet anyways

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

when i look back and think about what i was eating i only ate four meals a day breakfast,lunch,dinner and supper from doing more reasearch i should be eating at least six to seven meals a day.I didnt really measure my meals i just did loads and ate till i felt sick and couldnt eat any more.Should i be eating six or seven smaller portion dinners a day? because it says to eat every two hours thats what am getting from the internet anyways

Meal timing makes a minimal difference, the important thing is being in a consistent calorie surplus. You may need to eat 6-7 times a day to eat enough calories, but that isn't really more beneficial than 4 meals a day

Number of meals doesn't matter, only total quantity.

When I was bulking I ate 3 meals and 3 snacks per day
    Now I'm cutting and I eat 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day

However, if you are a person who struggles to eat large meals (and you probably are tbh), then you'd probably unknowingly eat more over 6 meals verses 4.
    Start now, write down everything to eat for the nest 3 days, include amounts and post it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Can I ask what a typical 3 meal and 3 snack day would have entailed for you during your bulking?

JoeyD wrote: »
    Can I ask what a typical 3 meal and 3 snack day would have entailed for you during your bulking?

I havnt started yet am hoping to start on monday.I tried to bulk a few years back but got no gains i have alot more determination now and more knowledge am gonna start measuring my meals to so i know exactly how much calories a week i am getting. Are you familiar with stronglifts 5x5 is that a good weight lifting programme to start off?

JoeyD wrote: »

Breakfast: Oats & Protein shake, Eggs & Bacon/sausages/avocado etc
    Pre-Gym: Coffee and a carby snack, protein/energy bar (homemade if possible) or maybe nuts/trail mix
    Lunch: Usually a portion of last night dinner, or if i'd eat out i'd go for meat and starchy veg/rice/chips (ya know, when i earned them in the gym ;))
    Afternoon: tuna and rice tub or similar, maybe a protein shake
    Dinner: Some sort of meat/veg/starch and a glass of milk. Thai red curry, mexican eggs, pan fried salmon/steak with veg, chilli and rice, roast chicken or chicken parma and veg. All homemade.
    Tea: Cup of tea and some dark chocolate, yogurt and berries, protein fluff, oats sometimes

Mellor wrote: »
    Breakfast: Oats & Protein shake, Eggs & Bacon/sausages/avocado etc
    Pre-Gym: Coffee and a carby snack, protein/energy bar (homemade if possible) or maybe nuts/trail mix
    Lunch: Usually a portion of last night dinner, or if i'd eat out i'd go for meat and starchy veg/rice/chips (ya know, when i earned them in the gym ;))
    Afternoon: tuna and rice tub or similar, maybe a protein shake
    Dinner: Some sort of meat/veg/starch and a glass of milk. Thai red curry, mexican eggs, pan fried salmon/steak with veg, chilli and rice, roast chicken or chicken parma and veg. All homemade.
    Tea: Cup of tea and some dark chocolate, yogurt and berries, protein fluff, oats sometimes

Does anyone no where i can get meal recipes from? i know what foods i have to eat i just want to make them more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gavster1982

iVE RECENTLY STARTED HITTING THE GYM AGAIN...IM A GOOD WEIGHT, 15STONE 2, IM 6FT SO I LOOK NORMAL. BUT I WANT TO LOOK BIGGER SO I REALISE I NEED TO EAT MORE.

ITS BEEN AS SIMPLE AS INCREASING MY MEAT INTAKE AND CONSEQUENTLY REDUCING OTHERS SUCH AS CARBS AND FATS. DOUBLE DTHE HAM SANDWICHES FOR LUNCH, HAVING ATIN OF TUNA OR SALMON FOR 11AM BREAK. A PROTEIN SHAKE IN THE EVENING.

INSTEAD OF CRISPS OR BISCUITS WHEN IM PECKISH IL STICK TO CEREAL OR RYVITA. ITS A SIMPLE CHOICE, DO YOU WANT TO SUCCEED, IF SO PUT IN THE EFFORT

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

Try these (blended) shakes out and see if you notice a difference and take two a day, it's certainly helps me when I bulk. This is per shake too....
    500ml milk
    1 1/2 scoops protein
    I large tablespoon o f peanut butter
    4 scoops of porridge oats (use your protein scoop not your mass gainer scoop!)
    It's hard for me to eat enough calories so the above definitely helped. Works out about 600 calories per shake. Porridge with a scoop of protein in the morning is a great way to start the day too. Normal lunch and dinner, both including chicken/fish/red meat and you should be hitting round 2900- 3000 calories per day if you throw in some cottage cheese/mozzarella/500ml tub yogurt or some scrambled eggs as a snack. 6 meals, easy peasy. Don't forget to eat the same on your non workout days too, muscles take a couple of days to repair after your workout day
    Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

iVE RECENTLY STARTED HITTING THE GYM AGAIN...IM A GOOD WEIGHT, 15STONE 2, IM 6FT SO I LOOK NORMAL. BUT I WANT TO LOOK BIGGER SO I REALISE I NEED TO EAT MORE.

ITS BEEN AS SIMPLE AS INCREASING MY MEAT INTAKE AND CONSEQUENTLY REDUCING OTHERS SUCH AS CARBS AND FATS. DOUBLE DTHE HAM SANDWICHES FOR LUNCH, HAVING ATIN OF TUNA OR SALMON FOR 11AM BREAK. A PROTEIN SHAKE IN THE EVENING.

INSTEAD OF CRISPS OR BISCUITS WHEN IM PECKISH IL STICK TO CEREAL OR RYVITA. ITS A SIMPLE CHOICE, DO YOU WANT TO SUCCEED, IF SO PUT IN THE EFFORT

Believe it or not but you probably need to lose weight and by doing so it will creat the illusion and make you look bigger , you need to I increase the ratio between your shoulder circumfrence and waist , at your height 13-14 stone is your ideal weight and you could probable lose 3 inches off your current waist to create , think of Henry cavill who played superman and the guy that played captain America , they are both 6ft or 6ft 1 and neither weigh over 14 stone and both look fantastic , it's because they have that v taper

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Believe it or not but you probably need to lose weight and by doing so it will creat the illusion and make you look bigger , you need to I increase the ratio between your shoulder circumfrence and waist , at your height 13-14 stone is your ideal weight and you could probable lose 3 inches off your current waist to create , think of Henry cavill who played superman and the guy that played captain America , they are both 6ft or 6ft 1 and neither weigh over 14 stone and both look fantastic , it's because they have that v taper
    Ronnie coleman was like 300 lbs and hes like 5 10 in his prime extreme example for sure!
    There is no correct weight for height its all about body fat %

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Ronnie coleman was like 300 lbs and hes like 5 10 in his prime extreme example for sure!
    There is no correct weight for height its all about body fat %

Man you can not compare Ronnie Coleman to anyone that trains naturally, Ronnie coleman Jay Cutler and anyone thats involved in Bodybuilding at the highest level are so pumped with drugs such as steroids, insulin and growth hormone to put on that mass and weigh that much, look at the bloated stomachs of those guys, thats the results of there liver being enlarged from so much drugs , however to the natural lifter there is very much is a limit to how much muscle one can grow, to maximise the amount of muscle one can groww naturally the younger one starts training the better(17,18 plus) to take advantage of juvenille muscle growth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Man you can not compare Ronnie Coleman to anyone that trains naturally, Ronnie coleman Jay Cutler and anyone thats involved in Bodybuilding at the highest level are so pumped with drugs such as steroids, insulin and growth hormone to put on that mass and weigh that much, look at the bloated stomachs of those guys, thats the results of there liver being enlarged from so much drugs , however to the natural lifter there is very much is a limit to how much muscle one can grow, to maximise the amount of muscle one can groww naturally the younger one starts training the better(17,18 plus) to take advantage of juvenille muscle growth
    I did say it was an extreme example but the fact is no 2 people share the same genetics.
    Bf% is the best measurement not weight!

Advertisement