Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time single in 11 years, what to do on V-day?

Options
  • 06-02-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I have been in 2 very long relationships and it is the first time in 11 years I am single,

So, any suggestions on where to go, what to do as a single on valentines day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Grayfoxy wrote: »
    Hey lads,

I have been in 2 very long relationships and it is the first time in 11 years I am single,

Put your feet up, relax and enjoy it, No pressure......lucky lucky bastard :D

Edit: Lucky because you're under no pressure NOT because you are single!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

whatever the hell you want?

within the law I guess

well, some laws. the one's that aren't stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Treat it as just another day like every self respecting man should?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

Yea, but what I mean is, rather than sitting down to a boring ass over priced meal,

I want to go out and have a bit of fun :) So looking for suggestions :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Yea, but what I mean is, rather than sitting down to a boring ass over priced meal,

I want to go out and have a bit of fun :) So looking for suggestions :D

Get together with a few mates, go out for the night (it's a Friday), take advantage of the night that's in it and get with some lonely lady.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

Hey lads,

I have been in a relationship for the last 3 years. I told my bf from the beginning we were not celebrating Valentines Day, he was well happy about it. It's so cringey in my opinion, so cringey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Nurse: Do you have someone special in your life?
    Captain Blackadder: Yes. Me.

Do something special with the special someone in your life.

Valentines day is going to be mostly about me this year.

I do most of the cooking usually, so we are getting takeaway(probably Indian), and House of Cards is being released the same day so we are staying in to watch back to back episodes of it. Throw in some beers. Wonderful. She is fine with this so it works out well.

Seriously though, do something you want to do.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Its a Friday night, go to any club and by 1am any desperate girl will be falling at your feet looking for that Valentines ride ;)

You'll be tripping over b*tches.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

syklops wrote: »
    Nurse: Do you have someone special in your life?
    Captain Blackadder: Yes. Me.

Do something special with the special someone in your life.

Valentines day is going to be mostly about me this year.

I do most of the cooking usually, so we are getting takeaway(probably Indian), and House of Cards is being released the same day so we are staying in to watch back to back episodes of it. Throw in some beers. Wonderful. She is fine with this so it works out well.

Seriously though, do something you want to do.

I completely forgot about this :D woohoo!

Just do what you'd do any other Friday night or get a group of other single friends together and go out for drinks/dancing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Mr.S wrote: »
    any desperate girl will be falling at your feet looking for that Valentines ride ;)
    maguic24 wrote: »
    You'll be tripping over b*tches.

Mod note: Lads, Up the standard of the posting please. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I always celebrate VD with my gf, and have done with every gf for that matter.
    Bunch of flowers, maybe some earings or chocs.
    My Father always got them for my Mother and my Grandfather still gets my Nana flowers each year, so i guess i got it from them over the years, every body say awwweeeeeeeeee :)

Its always the tight people i find that dont celebrate it, esp girls (probably single anyway), but if you think any girl wouldnt be absolutely delighted to receive a bunch of flowers on VD then you're deluded.... is she ging to be disgusted and give them back like?? Trust me, she'll be chuffed at the thought, as thats all it is, a token gesture that you thought of her.

Anyway OP - enjoy single life, as you'll look back in years and say 'I lived' :D

Slattsy wrote: »
    I always celebrate VD with my gf, and have done with every gf for that matter.
    Bunch of flowers, maybe some earings or chocs.
    My Father always got them for my Mother and my Grandfather still gets my Nana flowers each year, so i guess i got it from them over the years, every body say awwweeeeeeeeee :)

Its always the tight people i find that dont celebrate it, esp girls (probably single anyway), but if you think any girl wouldnt be absolutely delighted to receive a bunch of flowers on VD then you're deluded.... is she ging to be disgusted and give them back like?? Trust me, she'll be chuffed at the thought, as thats all it is, a token gesture that you thought of her.

Anyway OP - enjoy single life, as you'll look back in years and say 'I lived' :D

Ouch!!! A bit of generalisation for those of us who choose NOT to celebrate Valentines day. I'm not single or tight, I just don't see why you have to proclaim your love to you gf/bf one day of the year. I think retailers take full advantage of it as well doubling the price of chocolate and flowers. I don't think flowers are a particularly 'thoughtful' gift to give someone on Valentines Day as everyone gives flowers, not much 'thought' going into picking the present. Being 'thoughtful' is knowing what your gf/bf likes and doing little things for them throughout the WHOLE year. It's fine that you like to celebrate Valentines but please don't tar those of us who don't as 'tight' and 'deluded'.

The OP is also single, he is looking for advice on what he should do, as he hasn't been single in years.......

Another thing Slattsy, I'm a female and I will be with my bf 3 years on the 25th of this month....so yeah.....far from single!! Just a heads up as well, not every woman is the same, we don't all like flowers!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

as thats all it is, a token gesture that you thought of her.

i think that sums it up. Wow she must be really lucky that you thought of her!

Different strokes for different folks, sorry ruffled a few feathers there. Lol

Different strokes for different folks, sorry ruffled a few feathers there. Lol

So, has you gf guessed what you are going to get her yet? Oh, the excitement!

maguic24 wrote: »
    So, has you gf guessed what you are going to get her yet? Oh, the excitement!

Nope. Going away somewhere for the night. But it's off topic so I won't delve into further details.

:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

GF and I don't care too much about Valentine's, would never go out for dinner on the 14th.so

She's working all night on the 14th and it's a Friday, so takeaway, homebrew and my PS4 will be a very romantic night for me!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

GF and I don't care too much about Valentine's, would never go out for dinner on the 14th.so

She's working all night on the 14th and it's a Friday, so takeaway, homebrew and my PS4 will be a very romantic night for me!! :D

We won't even be in the same country. I'm flying back the next day.

We're going away for the Easter holidays so we're saving up for that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭kieranfitz

Get drunk and watch war movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭PinkCat86

go see the new lego film in the cinema :) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Kevin Spacey is my date this Valentine's Day. I don't think he'll disappoint.

But if you want to go out OP, I'd say the clubs will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Grayfoxy

Bah, nevermind, am working.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Over-priced, over-hyped, very gender specific day. Don't waste your time or money with it.

Best days to eat out are the days before and after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Kevin Spacey is my date this Valentine's Day. I don't think he'll disappoint.

But if you want to go out OP, I'd say the clubs will be busy.

Had to chime in. Nice username! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Calibos

kieranfitz wrote: »
    Get drunk and watch war movies.

Haha. Kinda reminds my of this scene which is Valentine appropriate I guess.

Nice generalisation there. Seems you are simply a victim of a Hallmark Meme designed to instill in you the idea that you have to fork out on this day and feed the marketting machine that created the meme in the first place.

Actually I find with my girlfriends that they are not as appreciative of such token gestures as you like to make out. Buying flowers on VD shows less that you thought of them - so much as it shows you thought of the calander.

So no I do not celebrate with - or engage with - VD at all and it has zero to do with tightness. It has everything to do with me not feeling that a calander - or a marketting idea - can tell me when to feel romantic.

Rather when my girlfriends get a gift off me - randomly throughout the year at unexpected points - it actually is because I was feeling romantic and actually thinking of them. Of my own accord. And not because some arbitrary date made me do it.

And in fact given the number of times I do this throughout the year it is actually the exact opposite of being tight. Were I to confine my romantic gestures to this one day then THAT would be tight.

Further I am not only NOT tight with the gestures or money - I am not tight with my time. Buying flowers or chocolates is easy. It takes mere seconds to do. Into shop - grab item - pay - done. The gestures and gifts I engage in however often take time - effort - planning - knowledge of the girls and what they like - and when I next present them both with their next gift or token or gesture it will reflect that input greatly - and not simply show I spent 5 minutes in a shop and got my wallet out.

Well one thing you could try - assuming you are not buying into the more misogynistic advice on the thread to go and try to take physical and/or emotional advantage of vulnerable or unhappy women - is to spend time with other mates who might also be made to feel lonely by a time of year tailor made for people in relationships.

One thing I try to do - and will be doing this year with 3 possibly 4 people I know of - is spend time with people I know have had issues with alcohol in the past.

Valentines day - up there with Christmas - is one of the top dates for people desperately clining to "the wagon" to fall off it. So the gift merely of your time and presence can be more appreciated by such people than they might ever be able to let you know.

There are many people for whom Valentines is a genuinely difficult time. If you can identify such a person in your circle - then the gift of your time to that person is a gift beyond any other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Fiona

This is my first single valentines day in 9 years.
    Never used to go out for it but it still sucks.

Have enlisted a friend for a cinema date to keep my company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Seriously? Are people really feeling down being single on Valentine's Day? I've been single more often that not on Valentine's Day, and it doesn't bother me. It's a load of cack, and even when I was with people, they weren't too fussed either.

A reality check needed guys!! Don't believe the hype.

For the laugh, I was thinking of booking a table for one on Friday night.

It's just another day, same as the day before and after.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,021 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I have already bought myself a box of chocolates and I might even buy myself some flowers tomorrow too :pac:

If any of my friends are around for pints, I'll do that, otherwise it will be me, a box of Milk Tray, a bottle of wine and House of Cards season two on Netflix. And I will be pretty happy with either one to be honest, it's just another Friday night.

Advertisement