Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time spent in front of the screen

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Yes I imported a wolf from the US some years ago and have enjoyed the challange of keeping him ever since.

Is that legal?

Is that legal?

....erm..... I am unable to respond to your comment in the affirmative.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I think that what people are missing is the fact that a computer is essentially a multipurpose tool, not a single-use object like most, and in time its usefulness has grown up to a point where it can easily replace many of these mentioned "single-purpose" objects.

You can watch TV, a movie, read a book or the newspaper on a computer, but you can't, say, watch TV on a newspaper.

On top of that, computers can be used to perform a wide variety of other tasks that involve both creating stuff or just consuming:

- work;
    - play games;
    - write;
    - create art;
    - self-teaching a host of subjects (from history to programming);

Therefore, the perception of "always being in front of a screen" is somewhat distorted; What are you actually doing in front of the screen?

Personally, I do a lot of things both with a computer and without. At work, I am on the technical side of QA. At home, I research information, watch documentaries, create art (not very good at it, but I still enjoy it!), keep my programming skills up to date, develop a few simple games (haven't managed to make the next Angry Birds yet!) and play games; "Off the screen" activities include reading (I can get totally immersed in a good book), some DYI both in the apartment and on the car, go to the gym and build scale models.

However, should I say that most of the "off the computer" activities, I got into after reading and watching tutorials about them from the Internet - the gym being the obvious exception.

Therefore, I would say that computers are an excellent tools and an essential one at that - being 32 I did live quite a long time without the Internet, but right now it seems inconceivable to me, as the habit of being able to access information about just anything at the click of a button is quite spoiling.

As for the short attention span problem, I don't think it is strictly connected to computers and the Internet - I clearly remember when I was a child, if a game required a little bit of setting up or had a learning curve, most of the other kids would just lose interest within 30 seconds and decide to be messy and noisy instead. And I am talking the likes of 1988, no Internet nor iPads to blame for it - just the TV, perhaps...

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I work on a computer all day. I work in IT so I am looking at or fixing others' PC's all day too. The only screen I look at when I go home is the telly. Laptop is used at the weekend but thats about it, and only briefly.
    Gonna be needing glasses soon i'm thinking

Advertisement