Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on Books for Learning Support?

• 27-07-2014 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

First time poster in this forum.

I have just secured a learning support/resource contract for the 2014/2015 school year in English. I will be primarily working with students with dyslexia and general learning difficulties from 1st to 6th year at secondary level.

I would like to get some books to get a head start before the term begins.

Can anybody recommend some literature that would be helpful for this. I have googled and come up with "Toe by Toe" and "From Alpha to Omega". Has anybody had experience with these titles or suggest any other books I could look at?

I really want to make a great impression so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The CDU of the City of Dublin ETB (previously CDVEC) have a range of publications for many subjects. It might be worth having a look at their catalogue (from last year) or maybe arranging a visit.
    http://curriculum.ie/mod/resource/view.php?id=655 .pdf file

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Do you mean texts to use with the students? Many children with dyslexia may have used Toe By Toe at the older end of primary. Alpha to Omega is quite expensive if you want to follow the programme through the work books etc . I wouldn't buy any pupil texts just yet, I'd concentrate on getting up to speed on the various learning difficulties you will be working with and try to get your hands on the students' assessments and whatever learning plans have already been put in place for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Also take your primary guidance from their subject teacher. You could find yourself devising loads of worksheets and stuff to help with their learning difficulty but at the end of the day that's no good if they are still falling behind on their class work. It could just be as simple as reviewing what they've done in class and using mind-maps for revision/comprehension (be careful about contradicting what their class teacher has thought though).

You may find yourself winding up being their de-facto teacher if the regular teacher divests responsibility for their learning to you (not typical but it does happen). Remember, the classroom teacher is supposed to have full responsibility for their learning and you are the extra support. Find out also if it's in class support or are they withdrawn from class during a non exam subject.. In-class support and withdrawal are very different animals

So from the outset you need to liaise with the learning support co-ordinator, class teacher (possibly career guidance as they might have a good knowledge of aptitude tests and levels of ability etc).

Sorry i can't recommend any books but generally with learning support I was just helping them play catch up with the class as the resource time was limited.
    Have a look at the Dyslexia Association of Ireland website <EDIT:sorry! I put a link to a student's course which I thought was a teachers course:> . Also check out the NCSE website (more general!!) and the SESS website (they also run courses)...

The english support teacher in our school reckons he found out more from attending courses and talking to other learning support teachers than reading 'definitive' books... (although the reading can;t do any harm either).

Usually I find the kids with GLD have it tougher as they have no 'label' as such to pin their learning difficulty on, whereas if you have dyslexia you generally know your strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JK82

Thank you everybody for the advice and help. It's really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya I'd say take your lead from the teacher and co-ordinator (try and meet the co-ordinator as soon as you set foot in the school in August). Just let the teacher know you have been assigned one of 'THEIR' students and go from there. Some mightn't even want to know you (or the pupil!) whereas others might be badgering you every day and night to plan for the student's resource class.

• Advertisement
Advertisement